1. Welcome to TMuscle. If you don't already have an account, please register. Once you sign up you'll be able to ask questions by starting new threads and reply to other peoples. In addition to this you will be able to upload pictures, customise your own profile page and gain access to many other member only features and forums.

It takes less than a minute to register and is completely free for life so please register right now and become a part of this fantastic community.

DC training?

Discussion in 'Training Information' started by roadz, Jan 19, 2012.

1. roadz

roadz Full Member

I generally just put together my own routines, but I fancy following a pre-written program for a while and seeing how I get on...

Enter: DC training.

I'm finding a lot of mixed information, some saying it's good and some threads on other boards saying it's outdated and apparently Dante himself saying he doesn't recommend the standard program anymore (i.e, mon, weds and fri - alternating between chest, back width, back thickness + shoulders and quads, hams, bis + tris).

What are peoples' thoughts on this?

Another contended is GVT - any one got any experience with this?
  2. ricky23

ricky23 Top Contributor

the priciples are sound imo. have only discovered d.c myself recently, ive always trained instinctively but was inadvertedly using similar principles. overcompensation of muscles, rest pause added intensity with max weight. only difference is i prefer volume. frequency makes up for lack of volume in his program
  3. roadz

roadz Full Member

I prefer frequency, that's why I liked the look of it. But it just seems funny how the man who created it would say that it's outdated and no longer recommends it? Not sure if the rest pausing would be too much though. I am a piece of natty scum, after all.
  4. J87

J87 Top Contributor

Where did you read he said that mate? Check out intensemuscle he's got thousands of posts there. IMO high volume can be harder than multi rep rest pause.
  5. roadz

roadz Full Member

6. J87

J87 Top Contributor

Not the most solid of sources, anyone can kid on to be someone on a forum, look what happened with pscarb here at the beginning. You know what you read on IM is legit, its part his website.
  7. Con

Con Moderator

Great program if you're very strong and the weights you use really tax you.
    Not so great if you're just of average strength in which case more volume will work better.
    There is a reason the creator said its only for advanced trainers.
    ram and Dig like this.
  8. roadz

roadz Full Member

What do you mean by this? Isn't that all relative and shouldn't whatever weight you can handle 'really tax you?'

I'm definitely not an advanced trainer, in terms of strength. Would you not recommend it?
  9. Rab

Rab Mod & Radio Host Moderator

I like it but find it hard to sustain. You get any niggles they develop into injury as you don't have anweek or more to let it clear before hitting the same bodypart again intensely
    Dig likes this.
  10. Con

Con Moderator

Not even close.
    There is muscle strain there is also cns tendon/ligament strain never mind the mental strain.
    The human body can get very strong but at a certain point it really slows down and you have to get inventive to get stronger and bigger.
    Lets say you only have a 220kg deadlift for 5 reps well then a program like 5x5 could easily take you in several months to lets say 250kg for 5 reps.
    But if you're at 300kg for 5 reps then forget about training 5x5 with such high weights as it will totally tear you apart. This is where the DC principles come in. Warm up get in and hit it hard then rest.

I think DC training is a total waste for the majority of trainers and the funny thing is that most big guys already know what works for them. It is only the few big guys that get stuck and then discover DC then blast through that plateau. I don't know Dante personally but I do know Cedric McMillion who is/was trained by him and damn the gains he made in one year was just silly but he was already 230lb contest shape to start with and pretty damn maxed out.
    Kate1976, ram, Max and 3 others like this.
  11. roadz

roadz Full Member

Ahh I see what you mean. So do you think GVT would be better for a 'normal' trainer due to the volume?

Also, found lots of good info on IM regarding DC, so thanks for mentioniong that.
  12. Con

Con Moderator

If the goal is muscle grow GVT is great but must be done correctly.
    Rest periods must be strictly monitored (I use a stop watch during sets and for rest periods with my clients).
    Time under tension in each set must be at least 40 seconds and at most 60 seconds this involves some pretty painful sessions!
  13. dutchscott

dutchscott Top Contributor

I live do

I love it too

But only for advanced guys how dc does it

I use a different version with beginners
  14. dutchscott

dutchscott Top Contributor

Live dc I meant as in I live doggcrapp
  15. Andrew

Andrew Administrator

Training Log:
    Click Here
    why not just take some principles from it? you can always incorporate rest pause, stretching, aiming to beat the log book, frequency - all very sound principles :)

I trained DC a while ago, wouldn't do it again for a long while as it is catered for the advanced and I'm certainly not that lol.

Since training that way though, the principles have stayed with me and have made great differences to my training :)

always beat the damn log book!!
    Dig likes this.