Getting in your greens

AMW83

Top Contributor
How many of you get all your greens in? Fruit & veg on a daily bases.

I am not on a strict diet, but I do ensure I get sufficient Protein/carbs in daily from solid food.

I am really terrible for not adding greens to my meals, I go through stages of eating good portions with each meal and then nothing with my meals 2/3/4 days in a row.
Typical day for me is a cup of tinned tangerines/clementines with natural yogurt as part of a snack at some point in the day and then another fruit later in the day, perhaps grapes, apple or banana. My Meals usually have green beans, carrots or broccoli. I fry off my broccoli with my beef/chicken to add a bit of flavour. (Fry in standard olive oil) a new one just now is I like to eat raw cabbage with a tea spoon of mint sauce through it for flavour.
When I have packets of flavoured rice which have peas, sweet corn etc I do not count these towards daily intake of greens. Also don't count sweet potato as part of my 5 a day.

Each day I take a multi vit & iron tab, cod liver oil too

How vital do people rate getting fresh fruit & veg into their diet? Has anyone used myprotein greens? I've heard of this supplement but never used it.

frozen veg 4 times a day

dont think frozen is as good for you but it does me

frozen veg 4 times a day

dont think frozen is as good for you but it does me

They say frozen is even better than fresh, because it is frozen very soon after being picked. Whereas with fresh, it's left hanging around for days.

1 whole broc daily
1 small tin of peas
1/3 large tin of sweet corn
Any colour of pepper ill add in
sometimes stir fry veg and acorn on the cob

If I am getting too bloated from all the food and veg ill scrap it for a day or 2 and just add in greens powder

Apple with breakfast
Veg with every other meal, usually broc, aubergine, peppers and mushrooms
Mixed berries if I have a cream of rice/whey meal

Frozen veg a lifesaver.
Blueberries (frozen) in morning shake with spoon of greens power (I use 10g wheatgrass and 5g spiraling)
Handful of spinach is easy to throw in to most meals. Takes seconds. Shrivels down a lot and easy to digest even on letters etc
Broccoli / peppers / asparagus / green beans. Normal days it's prob a handful or 100g ish with each meal...low carb times then this goes up a far bit
Use pineapple for one of my carb sources in one meal per day also (fresh) tastes good, has natural digestive enzyme in it

This is only recent for me but now having an apple with meal 2, broccoli cauliflower and carrot with meals 3 and 4 and onion and mushrooms with meal 5. Way more than before :)

Excuse my iPad corrective text. Should read " even in omlettes etc" not "on letters" I never put vegetables on my mail :-)

Some interesting replies

@AaronHudson do you supplement with AD grazed or is this a 100% substitute?

@noel I've just purchased and Kenwood Smoothie 2go so frozen blueberries, raspberries etc have been purchased and I intend on trying some smoothies .

@huntingground would you alter this if you were to diet tho?

To all the frozen veg guys. I don't question the freshness or the quality of it. These days it's almost frozen instantly from being picked. Same as our fish, it's technically frozen on the boats as it's caught. Then transferred to the markets.

@doink it's not that I'm not a veg lover, it's just down to lazy ness and not being on a strict diet.
I love brooch and cauliflower in cheese sauce and spinach is quality with melted cheese through it :) tried it out in Florida this year as a starter with Nachos.

@AMW83 I am dieting at moment. Here is diet.

5am - 500g tub 0% fat greek yogurt, 1 scoop pro powder, 1 teaspoon peanut butter.
8am - 2 large baked potato - 2 tins tuna with light mayo. 25g cashews.
9am - Train. Intra shake - 20g EAA, 75g cyclic dextrin, creatine, taurine etc etc.
11am - 1 pack uncle bens rice, 200g salmon. 2 bananas.
2pm - 100g tuna steak, 250g mash.
5pm - 100g tuna steak, 250g mash.
8pm - 2 whole eggs and 8 egg whites on 2 slices wholemeal toast.

I don't miss the greens etc.

Back