Soleus Muscle - Expert Calf Help Needed ??

Guys,

Ive been hitting my calfs 3 or 4 times a week for the last year and ive neglected the Soleous Muscle. We haven't got a seated calf raise at the gym and ive tried using dumbells/barbells while seated on a plate but its not great.

Based on the photos would you say my Soleous is poor compared to my Gastrocnemius or am i getting super anal.

Ive read that developing the Soleous gives that bit of extra width and depth to the overall look?

I was thinking of getting a used seated calf raise machine for home (can always sell it on after) as Im really looking to have rediculous calves and have plenty of enthusiasm to train them.

Is the inbalance all in my head? Does anyone have any experience smashing the Soleous muscle and how did it change the appearance of your calf as a whole??

29er58j.png

125qj3k.jpg

15s3fxy.jpg

wtgao7.jpg

You can hit the Soleus just fine with Seated and Standing Calf Raises.
If you want to hit a particular area, just change position of your feet on the plate (a step is better than a plate though as the more height, the better).

Raises with a Barbell are all I do and they've worked for me.
A photo of my Calves taken a month ago (I reckon they're in even better nick now).

calves.jpg

Have you tried the donkey calf raise. Basically as you are bent almost 45degree you put your hams and calf in a pre stretch position which for me hit my calfs a lot better than just seated or standing.
You can do them by hanging weight off the dipping belt then just find a block 6-8inch high then slowly lower and raise whilst presenting yourself.

@The Cheese - thanks for the tip about using a step - range of motion was much better.

Do you do any pauses at the top and bottom ? Any particular rep range?

Your calfs are setting the benchmark - congrats on developing those

@Mr mac - haha while presenting yourself :) .. I have done these just from the floor and as a burn out of 30 at end of session .. Ile deffo get on them with weight and a step. Thanks

@The Cheese

Do you do any pauses at the top and bottom ? Any particular rep range?

Pause at the top and then a nice, slow negative.
Rep range, I like to work lower for Standing and higher for Seated at 4 to 5 sets, but both are still pretty high at 20 and 30 reps respectively. Some people swear by low reps but as I only work with a Barbell, anything over 150kg is a bastard to lie over my legs on Seated. And because of that, I can only use high.

Regarding the Donkeys: I don't do them myself as I can't get the weight heavy enough on them but it's reckoned if you can get someone to sit in the middle of your back whilst you're doing them, they're great.

You can hit the Soleus just fine with Seated and Standing Calf Raises.
If you want to hit a particular area, just change position of your feet on the plate (a step is better than a plate though as the more height, the better).

Raises with a Barbell are all I do and they've worked for me.
A photo of my Calves taken a month ago (I reckon they're in even better nick now).

calves.jpg
Great calves man!

Your dog is fascinated by them.

Back