Style of Dieting for Fat Loss: What Works for You?

T3 eph hghrp6 meta

:confused:

You on the crack? :lol:

Don't need those for dieting, yes they can help, but not NEEDED, especially for the average trainer just wanting to get abs out - and in fact won't do jack unless the diet is geared for fat loss anyway.

I done my first two show preps low fat, moderate carb, high protein, worked pretty well, I was happy with the results. This was with fairly stupid levels of cheating/refeeding every week, but it is not everyone that can do this and get away with it.

I tried that same approach last year, and it just didn't work??? I was doing everything arguably better than before, cheating was capped, more cardio - it just stopped working.

I switched to keto, and it JUST got me into borderline acceptable show condition in time.

I agree with hilly, my gut feeling is that keto should be kept to short blasts, 3 weeks feels about right as an upper limit - but thats just me, I know people who stay on keto as a way of life for various reasons and get on just fine.

But my point is, something that worked great for me before, seemed to work not so well some time later - it would appear that your body can move goal posts on you! The key as ever with bodybuilding is to assess and adapt to what you are seeing on the ground...

If i want to drop body fat i just drop Kcal 500 below maintenance per day. then every 2 week take 100 of until I reach my desired look. Easy and simple

I agree with hilly, my gut feeling is that keto should be kept to short blasts, 3 weeks feels about right as an upper limit - but thats just me, I know people who stay on keto as a way of life for various reasons and get on just fine....

It's not the first time that I have heard about short blasts of going Keto....Juliette Bergmann did this on advice from some well known Russian trainer. She only did a week or two at a time then back to using carbs. She used this method three times during her 2002 Ms Olympia prep. Needless to say it worked well.....

Reactions: RS
:confused:

You on the crack? :lol: .

only on weekends... but whys that relevant...

although i would say i never said they were needed, its just what works for me. coupled with a low carb high protein high fat diet.

Have done next to no reading on diet - just made the decision a few years ago to cut out fast acting carbs (except after workouts) and keep slow acting carbs like oatmeal, sweet potatoes etc. to a moderate level...so just general low carbs seemed to work for me.

I'm not good at dieting - most I've managed is a month, but I get bored, get cravings, or get obsessive. Of the things I attempted;

Years ago I did a month of detox - no meat, dairy, sugar, or processed food. I did have a bit of fish, or eggs, when I was stuck in a hotel with no other option. I lost 10lbs over the month but I wasn't training then. I tried it again a few months after I started training and I was so hungry all the time! I couldn't physically eat enough....

I also tried counting carbs and protein - 1.5g/lb protein, 1g/lb carbs and a small amount of fat - got frustrated counting everything and I was hungry all the time - couldn't seem to get the protein in either....

Tried keto - first fortnight was OK but then I just had no energy - eating carbs made me crave them, and I felt 'greasy' all the time. Loved the food, but missed fruit and veg.

Currently cleaning my diet up using a modified paleo diet - eating meat, fish, poultry, nuts, seeds,veg and fruit. Also eating some dairy, but have cut down a lot (personally, I believe that being Northern European, I'm not lactose intolerant, so can get away with a little, and besides, I like milk in my tea!). No grains, beans and very little in the way of potatoes (none so far). So far it's going OK - no real cravings, think the fruit helps curb my sweet tooth :D Time will tell if I can stick to it, and if it actually works!

I am cutting at the moment and just trying to keep my diet clean at all times,reduced calories low carb in take and lots and lots of boring old cardio eeehhggrr...

Working so far tho, 2 weeks in and 3 kilos of fat gone!

Theres only one style for me, all or nothing!!! I can either cut everything with any kind of taste out and live in the land of bland or eat complete sh1t all the time!!! No inbetween, just haven't got the will power for cheats

Reactions: Rab
live in the land of bland

lol that made me laugh m8 i shall remember it and use it as my own :)

ive done high carb low carb carb cycling , each has its merits .
have to agree with rams it seems you can use one to great effect and the next time you have to change to get results,
the body is a very complex thing and adapts easily

Well all these people who dont bulk (wish i could go easy) I pile massive amounts and will prob hit 18 stone this time before cut and end up 14 lol.

I have done the low carb or no carb twice and soem ways is easier as I am also the all or nothing person. However had some great results last year with high carbs just watching quick carbs. Trouble is once I pop I cant stop :D

This year will be smae approach using high, clean carbs and good amounts of cardio as need to keep strength up for stongman comps.

CKD for me, and the main reason is that I have an extreme nature and I work as a manager in the chocolate food manufacturing. So if carbs are off they're off, and I can avoid them, if I eat carbs I want more more more. So CKD for me, carbs off menu during my working week, then a dirty refeed on saturday. Works great and does the job.

CKD for me, and the main reason is that I have an extreme nature and I work as a manager in the chocolate food manufacturing. So if carbs are off they're off, and I can avoid them, if I eat carbs I want more more more. So CKD for me, carbs off menu during my working week, then a dirty refeed on saturday. Works great and does the job.

Oh my lord - Joe - that has got to hurt, be honest

You must be Catholic punishing yourself that much :lol:

:D

On a serious note - I am quite a new addition to the ranks of people that recognise how well Keto styled diets can work - but i have seen it written in many articles etc that it can take 3-5 days to get into proper ketosis as it were - therefore, do you think a weekly refeed is cutting this short?

I mean on the basis that if doing Keto, you want to stay in once you are there, for reasons of muscle preservation - but if you are refeeding weekly, and given a good portion of that week will be just you getting into ketosis, you are spending proportionately more time in a muscle-at-risk state, than you would if you ran, say, 2-3 weeks between refeeds?

Just thinking out loud - I suspect purely from a fat loss point of view it isn't as important as is made out in the theory anyway, and calorific deficit will have a bigger part to play; certianly, your condition proves that it is working, forget the theory - just thinking out loud so I can plan my next dabble :)

only on weekends... but whys that relevant...

although i would say i never said they were needed, its just what works for me. coupled with a low carb high protein high fat diet.

I genuinely don't mean this as bitchy as it sounds, honestly mate, you know me - but any pics of this and how you know it works?

Those things are def not NEEDED for general dieting - if they are, then there is something clinically wrong

Back