What's Bodybuilding Done For You

Phmg

Lets have negatives and positives.

Negs.
So very self consious of the way i look. Bodybuilders get a bad rep from what i gather from chatting to norms. Posers, self obsessed (true but not in the way they would think), checking every available reflection etc.

I dont know about others, but for me the checking reflection and that is more to make sure i dont look as shit as i used to feel a lot of the time. We always tend to look at the reflection and focus soley on "negative" (in our own eyes) areas.

Also threating over when the next meal is and if im going to be able to have it at the exact time. Remember being on building sites and creeping off to the toilet to eat my meal as break time didnt fall on my meal time...gross i know lol.

Positives.
The hard work and discipline the you have to have (and even people like me that are a bit more slack than most is still miles above the norm) has traversed onto so many aspects of my other life. Just getting things done, focusing on things. With work and at home.

Another thing is how its made me better at other sports. This has only come apparent recently with starting football again. Im the target man up front. Hold the ball and thread it through and win every head and challange. Works a treat because of my extra size.

So what about you guys?

on the positive side it has given me something to focus on since I have had to give up kickboxing, it enforces my self discipline and it gives me goals that I set myself and aim for, I have met people that I can call friends that I would never have met if not through the time spent in the gym.
I love helping people that ask for my advice in the gym.
I look at my diet more closely now than before(even when I was fighting) and I have learnt more about nutrition and supplementation due to my time in the gym.

on the negative side .... I see more self important, self loving people than I ever have. the ego`s of some of the people on certain forums is absolute sh*t.
the abuse of steroids by young boys from the early teens to the early twenties, that think if you inject several times with several different steroids every week you don't have to train hard or eat correctly.
I absolutely hate the macho - hard man image and intimidation tactics that some big guys try give out to novice gym users.

Totally agree on the hard man thing. People are always surprised that im friendly and take the piss out of myself and dont mind looking a prat.

Hate that whole stood in the centre of the bar puffing out chest and staring out crap. The polish lot used to do it a lot in our town all sat in their own section. One night id prob had a few extra and just thought fuck it and went up to them and started chatting. They were taken a back at first but im mates with them all now and are a right laugh. Their girls are proper crazy as well.

Negs: A couple of health issues, joints take a beating and so on. Spent a lot of time that I could have spent on other activities.
Pros: Look great, feel great, numerous friends all around the world that have the same interest, make my living from it directly and indirectly.

Totally agree on the hard man thing. People are always surprised that im friendly and take the piss out of myself and dont mind looking a prat.

Hate that whole stood in the centre of the bar puffing out chest and staring out crap. The polish lot used to do it a lot in our town all sat in their own section. One night id prob had a few extra and just thought fuck it and went up to them and started chatting. They were taken a back at first but im mates with them all now and are a right laugh. Their girls are proper crazy as well.

And most of the polish girls are fit as well.

Posted using TMuscle App

And most of the polish girls are fit as well.

Posted using TMuscle App
Whole foods and cocaine mate. So the polskie lads tell me lol.

The girls are aggressive as fuck. Always looks like the mans the one in charge when they do exactly what they are told.

...come to think of it, we are all like that arnt we :lol:

Negs: A couple of health issues, joints take a beating and so on. Spent a lot of time that I could have spent on other activities.
Pros: Look great, feel great, numerous friends all around the world that have the same interest, make my living from it directly and indirectly.
If you could do it all again from a young(er) age con, would you do anything different?

If you could do it all again from a young(er) age con, would you do anything different?
Yeah I would not have bulked up as heavy.
I would have aimed to only compete as a middle weight and not a heavy weight.
I used to think I needed all the size but in reality it's not...

Yeah I would not have bulked up as heavy.
I would have aimed to only compete as a middle weight and not a heavy weight.
I used to think I needed all the size but in reality it's not...
We all seem to have to go through that stage before we can accept a few things it seems.

Im smallest ive prob ever been apart from the first year but feel bigger mentally.

Sounds cheesy i know, but hey :)

Probably took a good few years off my life and will prob take a few more.... Personally feel that's a positive.

Joints are a bit sore.... But that's going to happen isn't it.

Positives far outweigh the negatives, I look better, feel better, am a lot more confident, less insecure. Don't get much if any shit from dickheads when I'm out and about anymore. Its greatly Accentuated and complimented my fanny magnetism and probably aided in a good few notches on my bed post and it's increased my self discipline and worth ethic a hundred fold. Plus it keeps me occupied and out of trouble. If I start thinking its dangerous.

Wish I'd have started in my teens though rather than in my twenties

You know what you say about taking years off your life as positive? Not judging at all, but dont you think you will regret that attitude at a later date.

Not all old people are just waiting to die?

I feel you on starting younger. 16 would have been ideal.

The human body is great at repair when young (sub 35ish).
So Doink clean your life up and there is no reason you can't reach a nice and old age :-)

Can't think of anything negative tbh. I would like to be more flexible but that's really down to me as i was extremely flexible when i started training.
Still able to train effectively after all these years, i'm healthy, strong and feel great. It's put into perspective when i see guys my age or a bit younger and i think yeah, getting into this was one of my better moves. Met loads of great like minded folk and it's instilled more confidence, self belief and discipline into all aspects of my life.
If i could go back, i'd do PL or Olympic lifting, most probably the latter.

Negs
Obsessed with weight n look from a physical aspect
Worry alot over health
Neg impact on health

Positives
Gave me a career
Gave me focus n a path
Give me discipline
Lots of new friends
A healthier outlook

Made me a better person

I dunno mate, I don't regret it atm and I keep doing it so I'm just trying to be realistic mate. My lifestyle does not and will never support longevity. I'm expecting health issues as I'm a realist and I know what strain I put my body under on a regular basis.

It hold up well now but im still young, I've prob got another 8-10 years at this yet.

Can't see me surviving till old age tbh and if I do it's not going to be pleasant so there you go... That's the thought process there tbh.

Some might say its pessimistic or cynical but you know, I'm not going to kid myself about it.
I wouldnt say it was either mate.

Id say its a defense mechanism thats allowing you to justify what you are doing.

Bit like what you say about competing to justify gear use.

Look mate, i dont even know you, but i know that if you stopped posting one day out of the blue, it would deeply sadden me. You come across a proper sound decent bloke.

Sort your shit.

...ok son ;)

Last edited:
Negs
Obsessed with weight n look from a physical aspect
Worry alot over health
Neg impact on health

Positives
Gave me a career
Gave me focus n a path
Give me discipline
Lots of new friends
A healthier outlook

Made me a better person
In what way has it made you a better person hilly. Not disputing, just interested.

Back