The Top 7 Massage Guns to Purchase in 2021!
We’ve all been there, the hectic chores of life take over and we find that we don’t have enough time for ourselves. Between our jobs, social lives, daily workout routines, and trying to get a solid eight hours of sleep, our well-being is often left behind, this includes full-body massages that help restore us back to new.
A massage is your best buddy when it comes to dealing with stiffness or soreness in the muscles. However, it’s not always necessary to go to a masseuse. In fact, you’re able to do it from the comfort of your own home by using a massage gun.
If you’ve ever been inside a gym, attended physiotherapy, or even just simply scrolled through your Instagram feed, you’ve probably seen or heard about percussive therapy completed by a massage gun. Massage guns don’t just offer you the ease of massaging your body and cutting costs on weekly sessions, but they also help remove muscle pain quickly and efficiently.
Massage guns are popular tools that look like power drills, but are designed to aid recovery through bump massage vibration therapy (a form of deep tissue manipulation). They’re the new secret workout weapon that will help to relax your muscles, and boost your blood flow.
The Benefits of Percussive Therapy
Using a percussive therapy massager as a self-massage tool to knead out muscle knots improves your health and posture, but there are also many other benefits.
Here’s a quick overview of the major advantages you get from using a massage gun:
- It will completely relax your muscles, and release tension
- Lowered stress hormones and increased endorphin release
- Your exercise performance will improve and you have the chance of preventing future injuries when used before workouts
- Increases your flexibility by giving muscles a gentle stretch and increasing your range of motion
- You’ll notice an improvement in blood flow, especially where knotted tissue has caused stagnation
- Your muscles recover faster after workouts, and you suffer less from muscle soreness in the future
How Do Massage Guns Work?
The short answer? It’s not entirely clear how massage guns work on the body. What we do know is that they help relax sore muscles by stimulating something called the Golgi Tendon Organ, a structure within a muscle that inhibits contraction. Massage guns have also been known to override the sensation of pain within a sore muscle in the same way you might if you rub your arm after banging into a wall – this is known as the ‘’Gate Control Theory of Pain’’.
Often referred to as percussive therapy or vibration therapy, athletes from every corner of the globe have turned to massage guns in order to benefit from the pain relief and faster recovery times they provide. Massage guns deliver forceful, rapid thumps to a specific area of the body to help stimulate a set of muscles. With percussive therapy done by a massage gun, you can perform the same type of penetrative tissue attention done by a masseuse. The only difference? You do it yourself! And, you can reap the rewards in minutes.
Interested in purchasing one of these amazing machines? Well, you shouldn’t unless you know exactly which one to invest in. To help you out, we’ve compiled a list of the top six massage guns on the market to help you make your decision with ease. So without further ado, let’s dive in!
Top Seven Massage Guns That You Should Definitely Purchase Come 2021!
1) Hydragun Massage Gun – $299 (Hydragun)
In first place, it’s the ultra quiet Hydragun, a massage gun that is used by world champions, Olympians and professional atheletes.
Straight out of the well designed box and packaging you can instantly feel the Hydragun is a well-built, nicely designed masssage gun.
This massage gun is popular amongst professional atheletes and we can see why! It comes with six different head extensions allowing you to get into all the different muscle groups on your body. It also has metal capped extensions which will work over soft clothing, which is great if you are going to need the gun whilst you train or compete.
The Hydragun has six powerful speed settings, going from 1200RPM all the way up to 3200RPM., although we personally found the 1200RPM entry speed strong enough! You can also see how much pressure you are placing on the muscle with the torque meter next to the power settings, be sure not to get to the 3rd warning light or you may damage your gun. This is a nice touch and will ensure the massage gun lasts you a long time.
Here are the Hydragun massage gun’s six interchangeable attachments:
- Ball– For large muscles like the glutes or quads
- Fork – Allows deeper penetration on medium sized muscle groups like shoulders
- Bullet – For inner joints and deeper penetration allowing pinpoint releases
- Rounded Steel head – Allowing a harder massage and go over fabrics
- Flat Steel head– For harder massage on sore muscles that need more blood flow and can go over fabrics
- Flat Plastic head – Identical to the above but less intense and won’t go over fabric as easily.
What do we like about the Hydragun? Well, what’s not to like? It’s priced competitively and is very well made and beautifully designed with a lovely look and feel to the handle grip. When you turn it on the motor inside is incredible quiet, it’s probably the quietest massage gun we’ve tried. The six head extensions are great and allow you to work all of your muscle groups with ease. The team behind Hydragun are a relatively young and I like the fact they are coming to the market with innovation, and I’m not the only one, these massage guns are proving popular with pro atheletes, so they must be doing something right!
2) RecovaPro Massage Gun – £225 (Amazon)
In second place, it’s the one and only RecovaPro. Here to relieve your discomfort, and speed up your recovery time.
This beautiful massage gun uses percussive therapy along with vibration therapy to work into sore or tired muscles, ultimately helping your body to recover more quickly after a tough workout. It’s 2021’s answer to using a foam roller, and we’re all for it.
This serious piece of kit boasts sturdiness, reliability, and all-round comfort as it continues to justify its high price point. The innovation in design and technology is truly impressive. Installed with Smart Glide technology, it creates a smooth motion that makes massaging simultaneously more comfortable, and more powerful.
What’s more, you have a whopping five choices when it comes to speed settings. You’re able to tailor your massage to suit you, honing in on the points on your body that require the most attention.
Here are the RecovaPro’s massage gun five interchangeable attachments:
- The Flathead – For general use
- The Power Head – To dig into areas in which you might normally use your thumb
- The Round Head – Used for large groups of muscle
- The Bullet Head – For deep tissue massages and trigger points
- The Forkhead – For your neck and spine
The best thing about the RecovaPro is the flexibility that comes with it. You’re able to go from a gentle massage, to full throttle at just the push of a button. It offers pain-relieving miracles, and it’s just over £200. If you’re somebody that needs regular treatment, it’s definitely a great investment.
3) Theragun Pro – £631 (Amazon)
Out of all the vibration therapy massage guns in Theragun’s line, the PRO is probably the most advanced. However, it’s also the most expensive. With the high level of intensity it offers though, it’s completely worth it. Not only that, but it’s super durable, of high quality, and comes with plenty of customization features. Many call it the crème de la crème of percussive therapy massage guns.
With its high level of force, it works on relieving you from tightness and inflammation which can cause poor circulation, stiffness, and pain. You’re able to use the Theragun Pro to relieve muscle soreness in large groups of muscles like the quads, glutes, and hamstrings, and you can do it extremely quickly.
- The Supersoft Attachment – Theraguns version of vibration therapy, mostly used for sensitive areas
- Dampener Attachment – Used for boney areas, but perfect for overall use
- Standard Ball Attachment – Overall use, and large and small muscle groups
- Wedge Attachment – Perfect for shoulder blades and IT bands. Commonly used for ‘scraping’ or ‘flushing’ which helps to reduce the amount of lactic acid in muscles
- Thumb Attachment – Used for trigger points, and in the lower back
- Cone Attachment – For pinpoint muscle treatment including the hands and feet
Its design is ergonomic, meaning it grants you the ability to be your own masseuse and work on virtually any part of your body without needing help from others. The end result? A deep tissue massage, achieved by simply using a hand-held electronic device.
4) Hyperice Hypervolt Bluetooth – £495 (Amazon)
Hypervolt was one of the first few massage guns that managed to gain some major attention. At the time it was released, its design was very unique. And, believe it or not, Hypervolts design was copied by hundreds of other massage gun brands that you see today.
Right now, its design is considered pretty standard within the massage gun industry. However, despite being copied, it’s still unmatchable when it comes to its conciseness and strength.
Mainly used by hard-working athletes, it’s easy to use and quick to charge with a gauge that shows you exactly how much battery life you have remaining. Five different noodles and three different speeds make this massage gun a solid option. Best of all, it’s super quiet, everything you need when trying to have a relaxing vibration therapy massage.
- Hypervolt Head Attachment Set
- Hypervolt Bluetooth
- Hypervolt Head Attachment Pouch
- Hypervolt Wall Charger
When it comes to its usability, it’s extremely high. Boasting an ergonomic grip, you’re able to easily participate in percussive therapy on any part of the body. Many people out there say that this massager delivers a symphony of power, performance, and variability.
It’s probably the quietest percussive therapy massage gun you can find, and with the built-in Bluetooth option, you’re now able to fully connect it to the Hyperice App in order to benefit from the automated use option.
5) FITINDEX Massage Gun – £79.99 (Amazon)
If you’re looking for an affordable massage gun, then FitIndex has got you covered. This is a wise choice when it comes to wanting to relieve pain, but also not wanting to break the bank.
The first thing to note is the variety to choose from a whopping twenty speeds, all based on your muscle group and preference. There are twenty adjustable speed levels, all ranging from 1400 to 3200 percussion/mins. Its amplitude provides you with deep muscle relief, and all-round body recovery. Its portability along with a long battery life of around 6 hours with only a 1.5 – 2 hour charge makes this the perfect massage gun to use at home, in the gym, or in the office.
Built with 5th generation ultra-low damping technology, and fully equipped with an aerodynamic noise reduction shell and sound insulation plate, this affordable massage gun is much quieter compared to its competitors within its price range.
What to expect:
- 6 Massage Heads – Six customized massage heads relieves achy legs, back, neck, and shoulders.
- 20 Speed Settings – Choose different speeds based on which muscle groups you are massaging.
- Long Battery Life – Up to 6 hours of battery life off a single charge. Experience relief wherever you are.
- Noise Reduction Technology – Latest technology in noise reduction makes this device output a low 45 decibels.
- Lightweight Design – Weighs only 2.2 lbs(0.99kg) including the silicone grip.
6) Pulseroll Massage Gun – £157.49 (Pulseroll)
The Pulseroll vibration therapy massage gun is not only super affordable, but provides a bunch of speed options. Very similar to its main competitor Hypervolt, it uses the same quiet noise technology.
The Pulseroll massage gun offers four speeds and up to three hours of use, along with just one hour of charging to get it fully up and running. Not just that, but it also comes with the added benefit of six heads which target a different part of your body to offer a complete massage.
It has been said that it is a little fiddly to charge, but overall simple to use. Most importantly, it’s quiet. This means that you’re able to use it in the gym or in the office without attracting too much attention.
Four easy to use, interchangeable heads:
- Small round head – Works to provide a general full-body muscle massage. Use this one for a more focused & deeper muscle massage.
- Pneumatic head – This head is perfect for use on sensitive muscles. This head helps to manage those more painful areas.
- Spinal head – This head can be used for a spinal muscle This head attachment is for a more specific use.
- Bullet head – This head attachment is for trigger point therapy and can be used for advanced localised deep muscle massage.
It’s small, but mighty.
7) ABOX Muscle Massage Gun – £109.99 (Amazon)
Last but not least, we have the Abox Muscle Massage Gun. This massager focuses on a deep tissue massage that will accelerate your circulation via impact massage and quickly dissipates the lactic acid produced after exercise. Put together, it helps relieve tension and knots in your muscles.
Once again, an affordable massage gun, but durable. It weighs around 1KG and feels solid, most people can not seem to find a fault in its design. The battery life on the Abox lasts between 3-5 hours on a full charge, depending on the speeds used. This means that it should be more than enough for any session, unless you fall asleep because you’re just so damn relaxed.
Easy to use by yourself, but you also have the option to rope in your partner, friend, or family member. As it just glides along the skin, it’s super fun to use!
What to expect:
- ABOX massage gun
- Transport case
- 4 interchangeable attachments
- Charging cable
- Manual (Several languages)
The ABOX massage gun is supplied with 4 heads. Similar to every other gun we’ve reviewed, these are pretty much the standard in the industry:
- Standard ball (hard)
So, there you have it! The top 6 massage guns that you should definitely invest in come 2021. Go ahead and take the first step in a more relaxing lifestyle through percussive therapy, there are plenty of awesome massage guns to choose from, and all of them do a great job, it’s entirely down to your budget and needs.