1. Click here to see our list of sponsors. If you decide to use one of the companies listed, please support TMuscle by clicking on one of the links provided.

1 Inch Bar Dilemma!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Karbonk, Sep 1, 2017.

1. The Cheese

The Cheese Top Contributor

I had the same problem.
    Only way out is to go Olympic.

Being able to sell your old 1 inch plates for £1 per kg might take a little bit of the pain away. I had no problem offloading 300kgs to two guys on Ebay.

RS86 and Karbonk like this.

2. The Cheese

The Cheese Top Contributor

Sorry but that's bullshit.

A well stocked home gym is just as good, if not better than a public gym in some ways. And you can get just as good results.

I've trained in my garage for the last 8 years but I've also been to "proper" gyms. Never again. Garage every time.

roy@/_, zack, Mr mac and 2 others like this.
  3. DaPump

DaPump Full Member

Is that Mike??

4. Karbonk

Karbonk Full Member

Thanks, your right, Olympic is the way to go, sick of this now, the idea of spending money on dead-weight a second time round hurts, but bars bending and loosing confidence in 1 inch so gonna get Olympic plates and bar, also your idea about £1 per kilo was exactly what I had in mind, my 25kg plates were £80 a pair but a £50 return would ease the pain.
    My home rig is excellent, 175kg Bench, 260kg squat, 275kgDL and a triple 115kg pushpress all been achieved from training in my flat. Accessory work can be a bit more difficult at times, no leg press, leg curl, no pec dec, smith machine, but where there is a will there is a way and I have reached limits and surpassed them on 1inch kit, surprised my first bar lasted 2 years TBH but it bent just within the last 2 weeks, replaced it and now the new bar is bent even worse.
    I do tend to train on my own and my nearest gym it a Fit4Less, those lifts I mentioned are the only lifts I am interested in. I found when I was a member earlier this year the place was packed and had to queue for ages to get the equipment I wanted.

The Cheese likes this.
  5. Max

Max Competitor

Not a chance. You only grow as big as the biggest fish In the tank I'm afraid.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  6. LittleLiam

LittleLiam Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    True story

doink likes this.
  7. doink

doink PhD in Bro Science

Kind of agree with this.

If you train alone you can go through years and years doing the same thing and never would you pick up any advice or tweaks from anyone that would improve your overall game.

Reading about it isn't the same.

Let's face it, we can all improve and benefit from advice in the flesh.

Greedy Ben, Sjundea and Max like this.
  8. Karbonk

Karbonk Full Member

This is a Bullshit reply, WTF are you talking about? Lets face it, your talking shite! What makes you think I am reading about anything other than these replies??
    Read my previous comments and lifts, Training alone after 15 years military career suits me just fine, I don't train with Fags in the local gym and don't tolerate Fags and having to queue up waiting for them to finish their routine, I train alone due to Fags wasting my time, Advice in the flesh??..... I am 39 and been to several war zones, I don't need a spotty teenager telling me this or that, I am taking advice from professional and advanced lifters.

JANIKvonD, zack, Fatbrah and 4 others like this.
  9. _cam

_cam Full Member

As suggested, sell what you can £1p/kg and then buy Olympic but buy 2nd hand - you can get 1.50 per kilo so shouldn't loose too much money etc. A decent bar on the other hand - 200-300£ easily especially if your squatting 250 and deadlifting 280 is a worth while investment

Karbonk likes this.
  10. Ronin

Ronin Top Contributor

#fags

Community approved

JANIKvonD, zack, Fatbrah and 3 others like this.
  11. LittleLiam

LittleLiam Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    You can unscrew the ends off some oly bars with an Allen key, that might allow the bearings to come off and have no rotation with your little weights.

That's assuming the bearings aren't hydraulically pressed on, which is likely.

The dilemma here is that an oly bar cheaply made enough to take apart probably won't handle circa 250kg.

I'll have a go at taking an end off one of the bars on my gym next week and let you know.

The next alternative is to drop the weight and put out some reps instead, not ideal i know.

If that doesn't work it's either a pl gym or as you are forces - see if you can use a garrison gym nearby perhaps.

Swapping out your little weights to oly ones wont be cheap, but fb groups like "powerlifting kit for sale" often have some good sets of plate for sale.

I got my shed weights from a scrappy.

The guys in here are talking about getting advice in the flesh from the Instagram gym tossers btw. The assumed theme is that you would train with stronger lifters - as you have stated not the "fags"

Fatbrah, Karbonk and Mr mac like this.
  12. DaPump

DaPump Full Member

Eleiko... job done!

jrichards30 likes this.
  13. Porky

Porky Committee brofessor Top Contributor

Lower dat tren bro

JANIKvonD, zack, bertos and 5 others like this.
  14. Greedy Ben

Greedy Ben Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Find a gym where serious lifters train, not just the local fuckboys :lol:

zack, Fatbrah, Karbonk and 1 other person like this.
  15. Smeagol

Smeagol Full Member

Wouldn't mess with him, been to several war zones ya kno

JANIKvonD, zack, Fatbrah and 6 others like this.