3 Months Diet

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Larry Loaf, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Larry Loaf

Larry Loaf

So want to post some of my routine and get some pointers.

First I'm 39, 6'4'' and 245.7 lbs my aim for these 3 months is maintain muscle cut fat

First my training I have a home gym set up
    2-36 kg selectable dumbels
    Olympic bar and 165kg of weight
    Ez bar
    Squat rack
    Bench with leg developer
    Cable machine 72kg each side
    And a echelon spin bike for cardio

I plan to split my lifting into push pull legs and one other day

Monday will be pull
    Dead lift normally I pyramid these 10, 8, 6 5 & 4 reps progressing weight upwards each set
    Single arm vertical row 4 sets of 10
    Bent over row 4 sets of 8-10
    Lat pull down 4 sets 8-10
    2 bicep work outs usually from cable curls, pronate ez bar, spider curls & hammer curls

Wednesday push day
    Flat bench 5 x 5 usually the weight increases each set
    Standing OHP 4 sets 8-10 reps
    Dbel incline bench 4 x 10
    Lateral to front raise 4 x 20 (10 front 10 side)
    Cable fly 4 x 15
    Skull crusher 4 x 10
    Cable push down 4 x 10-15

Friday legs
    Squat pyramid these 10, 8, 6 5 & 4 reps progressing weight upwards each set
    Hamstring curl laying 4 x 10
    Leg extension 4 x 10
    I want to add hip thrusts but they are awkward with my set up.

I'll also spin 3-4 times a week really enjoy it
    I hit 14000 + steps a day.

Diet as a former obese mother fucker what one eating is the first thing I think about so planning is key. If it's not planned I usually end up eating shit
    Ideally my day looks like

Breakfast
    Milky coffee and protein shake

11's
    Omlette. 2 LGE eggs, 100g egg white, 105 g ham, 15g cheese & 100g veg

Dinner
    200-250g chicken breast, 125g rice 100g veg 10 g light mayo

Second dinner
    Ham sandwich 2 bread, light Marge 10g, 105 ham

Tea usuall 5-600 Cal's try to get 50p 50c and 20 fats

Supper
    protein shake, Muller light & Cadbury brunch bar.

This all comes to 26-3000 calories
    Screenshot_20210307-202523_MyFitnessPal.jpg Screenshot_20210307-202458_MyFitnessPal.jpg

2. Larry Loaf

Larry Loaf

Most of the training I have picked up from you tube but have forgot why I selected each one

When I was young I took ephedrine and seemed to work and this was before I had a clue about calories and dint exercise but also kerbed my appetite so will have them

3. Greedy Ben

Greedy Ben Top Contributor

I think you'd be better off focussing on the strength for compounds and doing the smaller stuff as accessory work.

What are your lifts like on sq/b/dl?

Diet needs work.

A ham sandwich isn't a meal.
    Muller yog needs to go, too much sugar so does cereal bar and cheese in omlette imo.

Diet would be better standardised if you can so multiple meals of meat & rice, veg all the same.

Whey shake before bed better swapped to casien or 0% fat greek yog.

TONY FERGUSON likes this.
  4. Larry Loaf

Larry Loaf

I think you'd be better off focussing on the strength for compounds and doing the smaller stuff as accessory work.

Sorry I don't fully understand.

My 1RMs are Bench 120 Dead 220 Squat 160 (170 assisted)

Food wise I have ate 2519 calories
    Screenshot_20210308-212937_MyFitnessPal.jpg
    Would be 300 less but a bowl of frosties beat me tonight.

Casein I had never heard of it before but will orders some as reading about it seems good stuff.

My Muller and brunch bar have 13g of sugar and helps me adhere thru the day as I have something to look forward to. Imo adherence is the most important thing. I understand fat free greek would lower my calories but fat loss in calories in v calories out as long as I'm in a defacit all good.
    My BMR should be around 2300.

5. Sjundea

Sjundea Moderator

Well the muller and cereal bar didn't help you adhere to your diet here did they. You ate a bowl of frosties.

GolfDelta, pooley1810 and Greedy Ben like this.
  6. Larry Loaf

Larry Loaf

Through the day I believe I said as it gives me something sweet to look forward to. I'm also 700 calories below what tdee calculators say I should be a day again fat loss is calories in calories out I could eat 5 bowels of frosties a day and as long as I burn more than I eat I'll lose weight. I hit my protein target and lifted to help maintain muscle.

So please enlighten me on the issue?

7. Greedy Ben

Greedy Ben Top Contributor

You could eat 5 bowls of frosties a day but you would be far more satiated and have far better body compsition on 5 bowls of chicken and rice.
    This is where IIFYM falls down.

Re: strength training, ok 120kg is current 1rm, what can you do to improve this?
    More volume work on submaximal weight sets, specific routine eg Wendlers 5/3/1, is there room for improvement on form? Is set up good?
    What holds the lift back/what would help lift more? Stronger chest, triceps, front delts, lats, upper back etc. Thats what you go to work on for accessory work. Can you barbell row near 120kg etc?

Apply this to squats, deads and overhead press too.

TONY FERGUSON likes this.
  8. pooley1810

pooley1810 Moderator

Your very first post says you want to retain muscle and lose fat!
    You are not maintaining any muscle by eating 5 bowls of frosties!
    The guys are trying to give you advise on what you asked for as your current diet isn't great and sooner or later your progress will stall because of it

TONY FERGUSON and Sjundea like this.
  9. Sjundea

Sjundea Moderator

If I was insistent on eating a cereal bar and yoghurt I'd shove that to the end of the day and only have it if my diet had been spot on during the day. Rewarding myself.
    Personally I'd opt for say a couple of rice cakes, peanut butter and a small bit of jam. Hit the sweet spot and better macros.
    In an ideal world I'd go all week on a strict diet to reward myself with an off plan meal at the weekend, maybe a takeaway. That way I know I need to be on point all week to 'earn' my treat.

You don't need to eat bland foods, chicken marinaded in your fave spices, cous cous/rice/homemade chips. Healthy spag bol. Loads of options. Homemade nachos, enchiladas etc. Mexican and Italian food is generally healthy if you put some thought into it. Slow cooked meats with lots of veg, seasoning etc. The world's your oyster.

10. Larry Loaf

Larry Loaf

you know what fuck it thanks Ben for input but everyone else seems do as your told don't ask any questions its all very clicky and that seems why there are so few people as regular contributors on her and only reason people come is advice on gear and then don't come back

11. Sjundea

Sjundea Moderator

Another great meal is burritos. Quick and easy to make.
    Most supermarket chains have lower fat and calorie sauces these days. I know asdas do a reasonable tikka sauce which is only 39ish cals per 100g. They do something similar with a chilli con carne sauce. Throw some 5%beef and chilli con carne together, simply make rice or add to a tortilla with a small bit of low fat cheese, sour cream and guac.

I think you just need to think about things a little more. You don't need a full bro BBing diet. Diets can be much more fun and sustainable with a bit of thought and preparation. If you enjoy it you don't need the more sugary rewards and can keep that to a weekend treat with your missus/family.

12. pooley1810

pooley1810 Moderator

Yet another person taking things personal and moaning when they don't get the advice they wanna hear
    You asked a question and a couple of people have taken the time to offer you good advice
    Unfortunately they've told you what you need to hear and not what you want to hear
    Keep eating your cereal bars n frosties, report back in a few months with your progress

GhostOf2Can and Sjundea like this.
  13. Simon90

Simon90 Moderator

This whole paragraph is an issue mate. You shouldn't have to be making excuses to eat sommething. You shouldn't need something to look forward to something either. Your a fully grown man, if you want to eat it eat it but don't maake excuses up because you feel bad that you have cheated on the diet. Its just a lack of discipline if you can't get through the day without something sweet. The results should be enough to make you not want it.everyone gets cravings but they can be easily ignored. It sounds like an unhealthy relationship with food which is not good because I've beeen there. And will cause more problems down the line.
    Don't make excuses up to eat the shit, your eating it because you can't stick to the diet. You can't stick to the diet because you lack discipline.
    Do you wanna look down one day and see chiselled, granite like abdominals riddled with vascularity or do you wanna look down one day in the same condition and see another multi pack of cereal bars grasped between you're shaky hands as you are so full of anticipation you are unable to contain your excitement about opening them up and indulging.
    Either can be a reality my friend. Chose your path wisely.

TONY FERGUSON and Sjundea like this.
  14. TONY FERGUSON

TONY FERGUSON Winging my way to heaven as we speak, son. Top Contributor

Mate calories in vs calories out is the most basic way to look at things and just because youtube fitness heads keep banging on about it doesn't mean it's right.

The body is much more complex than that and if you're looking to lose weight then the worst thing you can do is jack up insulin with frosties and other sugary things. The people who tell you otherwise are jacked up on all kinds of things so don't listen to their blag.

The only cure for a bad diet is to stop eating like shit.

Simon90 and pooley1810 like this.
  15. Larry Loaf

Larry Loaf

Another good day 2624 calories even included a cup of hot chocolate and bag of wotsits