5 Day Fast - What Will Happen

Weighed myself this morning, and ALL 9 lbs are back on, feel full but very smooth. Decided to take a week off training also. Been saying I need a week off for a couple of months, but I think now will be the most beneficial time.

Sorry to dig this one up @bIgjoe, but that was a great read, any chance on your thoughts on your experiment??

Sorry to dig this one up @bIgjoe, but that was a great read, any chance on your thoughts on your experiment??

Yeah, the body is amazing, even when deprived of nutrients it adapts very quickly.

I don't think your body burns too much muscle in a fasted state.

The greater the catabolic environment, the greater the anabolic rebound afterwards.

Would be interested to know what the actual effect was on PTR, because in theory I should've lost almost 1.5kg of muscle, protein turnover would've been around 284g a day IIRC. But I don't believe that happened, but can never know for sure what effect the fast had on PTR.

Thanks for that, and when your weight rebounded back up 9lbs did it stay on? or was that again lost within a couple of days?

Really commend you on putting yourself to the test Joe. I've done 24hours, as a natural trainee this is probably as much as I've risk.

24hrs would be enough to deplete liver glycogen and induce Gluconeogenesis (up to 48% at the 20hr mark). Since AAS (making a big assumption that you use AAS Joe, if not, excuse my impudence) induce such a strong reduction in proteolysis (even from the effect of training) fasting would do very little in terms of muscle wastage (hence their use in Duchenne's Muscular Dystrophy).

Technically, by using BCAA you're not 100% fasted (as they'll be converted to glucose by the liver) so I insulin may have played a minor role here in sparing the tissue, at the end of the day, something needs to be used to maintain blood glucose ;)

From my own fasted blood glucose tests thus far, the only BCAA/EAA that doesn't raise blood glucose is Chain'd Out and HumaPro. Would be fascinating to do a venous draw and check insulin but no one else is able to draw bloods at Pred ;)

Maybe if we get my dream of a Pred lab, we'll enlist you Joe and run some bloods. Be interesting to see your lipid profile changes with this protocol.

Really commend you on putting yourself to the test Joe. I've done 24hours, as a natural trainee this is probably as much as I've risk.

24hrs would be enough to deplete liver glycogen and induce Gluconeogenesis (up to 48% at the 20hr mark). Since AAS (making a big assumption that you use AAS Joe, if not, excuse my impudence) induce such a strong reduction in proteolysis (even from the effect of training) fasting would do very little in terms of muscle wastage (hence their use in Duchenne's Muscular Dystrophy).

Technically, by using BCAA you're not 100% fasted (as they'll be converted to glucose by the liver) so I insulin may have played a minor role here in sparing the tissue, at the end of the day, something needs to be used to maintain blood glucose ;)

From my own fasted blood glucose tests thus far, the only BCAA/EAA that doesn't raise blood glucose is Chain'd Out and HumaPro. Would be fascinating to do a venous draw and check insulin but no one else is able to draw bloods at Pred ;)

Maybe if we get my dream of a Pred lab, we'll enlist you Joe and run some bloods. Be interesting to see your lipid profile changes with this protocol.

I actually did this 5 day fast natty mate IIRC (I did a HAVOC/BOLD 200 pulse on my Gramino experiment, but am sure I was clean for the fast). I do use AAS, but moderately, and infrequently.

My gramino was amino acids and grapefruit juice 4 times a day with a single meal in the evening.

Very interesting that chained out caused no change....

I'm doing a full write up mate, will let everyone know as soon as it's done. Only capillary samples (not venous draws) but from what I've seen so far it could have great implications for those looking to take advantage of fasted cardio/meal timing protocols. Just need to trial Xtend and a few others.

I actually did this 5 day fast natty mate IIRC (I did a HAVOC/BOLD 200 pulse on my Gramino experiment, but am sure I was clean for the fast). I do use AAS, but moderately, and infrequently.

My gramino was amino acids and grapefruit juice 4 times a day with a single meal in the evening.

Only way to know for sure would be to do it myself ;) perhaps I'll trial a 36hr fast for fun. Extremely impressive though, you're a credit to the non-broscience community Joe.

Weighed myself this morning, and ALL 9 lbs are back on, feel full but very smooth. Decided to take a week off training also. Been saying I need a week off for a couple of months, but I think now will be the most beneficial time.

Would be interesting to see whether a slower transition back to normal eating would have reduced some of the water retention issues, or even controlling leptin/insulin more closely during the fast. Similar principle to a Pre/post contest eating scenario (often chaps look better the day after the contest due to scuffing this up).

Back