52 Years Old. Please Comment On My Diet / Reccommend Changes

Billet-Brain

I'm 52, and had been considering a cycle of test, as really struggling to gain muscle. I've had some great advice off several of you guys on here, and after having my bloods done, I've decided not to do any gear, as my test levels are surprisingly good!

The advice I've had has also led me to believe my diet has been the problem, so before I finalise my workout, and post that on here (in the log section) for comments, I would like to get my diet sorted.

Here is what my diet consisted of yesterday. I seem to be lacking calories, and could do with more protein too, I think.

I bought the My Protein 'Impact Whey Isolate' thinking I needed the protein powder with the least calories and carbs, but now I'm thinking this was mistake, and I have now ordered a mass gainer, which includes a lot of carbs etc too. I've also bought crunchy peanut butter, and will introduce this as a mid morning/ mid afternoon snack.

I've also attached the nutritional info, according to 'my fitness pal'.

7am
225g (half a tub) Skyr yoghurt, 1 scoop Impact Whey Isolate, some granola.

10:30am
snack of mini chicken-sausage frittata (15g protein)

12:30pm
Tortilla wrap, containing lettuce, peppers, onion, 1x tin tuna, salad cream
3 small hard boiled eggs (we have chickens! )

3pm
Insert snack here?
5:30pm
Chicken (1 x breast), pasta shells, Philadelphia light, broccoli

9pm

Please suggest what you think I am lacking, and how best to add it.

Cheers guys.
Screenshot_20190327-103346_MyFitnessPal.jpg Screenshot_20190327-103406_MyFitnessPal.jpg Screenshot_20190327-103454_MyFitnessPal.jpg

I'm 52, and had been considering a cycle of test, as really struggling to gain muscle. I've had some great advice off several of you guys on here, and after having my bloods done, I've decided not to do any gear, as my test levels are surprisingly good!

The advice I've had has also led me to believe my diet has been the problem, so before I finalise my workout, and post that on here (in the log section) for comments, I would like to get my diet sorted.

Here is what my diet consisted of yesterday. I seem to be lacking calories, and could do with more protein too, I think.

I bought the My Protein 'Impact Whey Isolate' thinking I needed the protein powder with the least calories and carbs, but now I'm thinking this was mistake, and I have now ordered a mass gainer, which includes a lot of carbs etc too. I've also bought crunchy peanut butter, and will introduce this as a mid morning/ mid afternoon snack.

I've also attached the nutritional info, according to 'my fitness pal'.

7am

10:30am
snack of mini chicken-sausage frittata (15g protein)

12:30pm
Tortilla wrap, containing lettuce, peppers, onion, 1x tin tuna, salad cream
3 small hard boiled eggs (we have chickens! )

3pm
Insert snack here?
5:30pm
Chicken (1 x breast), pasta shells, Philadelphia light, broccoli

9pm

Please suggest what you think I am lacking, and how best to add it.

Cheers guys.
View attachment 65812 View attachment 65813 View attachment 65814
You were right to buy the whey
Mass gainers a really just a gimmick to lead people to believe they'll stack on muscle by using it. They are just powdered protein, carbs and maybe some other supps blended together. Often the quality of ingredients is poor
You are better making your own with whey, oats and peanut butter
Instead of having snacks then have a more nutritious meal instead. If it needs to be convenient then this is ideal for having a pre made shake as above
Ditch the yoghurt at breakfast, have oats, whey, 2 eggs and piece of fruit
Mid morning/afternoon have your own mass gain shake
Pre bed have your full tub of yoghurt

You were right to buy the whey
Mass gainers a really just a gimmick to lead people to believe they'll stack on muscle by using it. They are just powdered protein, carbs and maybe some other supps blended together. Often the quality of ingredients is poor
You are better making your own with whey, oats and peanut butter
Instead of having snacks then have a more nutritious meal instead. If it needs to be convenient then this is ideal for having a pre made shake as above
Ditch the yoghurt at breakfast, have oats, whey, 2 eggs and piece of fruit
Mid morning/afternoon have your own mass gain shake
Pre bed have your full tub of yoghurt

Thanks Pooley. Would you mind elaborating a little on some of the points you made (I'm still learning about all this!), and yes, convenience is very important, unfortunately.

1, 'You are better making your own with whey, oats and peanut butter'. How? Mix them together? With what? Blend them with milk into a shake?

2, Would the 'whey, oats and peanut butter' provide much in the way of calories, which I lack?

3, What is it you don't like about the Skyr plain yoghurt?

4, ' at breakfast, have oats, whey, 2 eggs'. In what form? A bowl of whey & eggs mixed with milk, and two boiled eggs on the side?

Thanks Pooley. Would you mind elaborating a little on some of the points you made (I'm still learning about all this!), and yes, convenience is very important, unfortunately.

1, 'You are better making your own with whey, oats and peanut butter'. How? Mix them together? With what? Blend them with milk into a shake?

2, Would the 'whey, oats and peanut butter' provide much in the way of calories, which I lack?

4, ' at breakfast, have oats, whey, 2 eggs'. In what form? A bowl of whey & eggs mixed with milk, and two boiled eggs on the side?
I know you're learning but try not to overthink things too much
It's just food, theres no magic formula or special way of cooking things.
I've tried to suggest the most wholesome and easiest way of getting calories in. Cook things how you like
If you wanna cook your oats then mix everything in then do that. Or you can simply blend it all together for convenience
The amount of calories will depend on how much you use
PB is very calorific and oats probably the most calorific decent carb source
Personally i wouldn't use milk but it's up to you. 2-3 shakes with milk plus yoghurt may be tough on the guts
Skyr yoghurt is slow release protein so best before bed

Would you like pooley to just do the lot for ya? Make ya shakes n do ya lifting

Fuck me, if you don't know how to combine whey, oats and peanut butter to make a shake you've pretty much failed at life haven't you.

Thank fuck Pooley didn't put a slice of toast on there, dat curve ball.

Back