A triump of will over laziness

Discussion in 'Training Psychology' started by Joshua, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Joshua

Joshua Moderator Moderator

Training Log:
    Click Here
    When people take up training they often do it to look better, however IME the biggest reward one reaps from training is not in a change in the shape of one's muscles but in the rewiring of one's mind.

The girl with the lard ass
    When I was an undergrad, there was a very fat girl who I trained. She was so fat, she had trouble walking, and I would often see her waddling across campus before perching herself on chairs to rest. She claimed to want "to loose weight so she could feel good". She didn't know how to lose the weight, but had made little effort to learn, let alone do what was required to make the change she sought. She also would have an endless supply of reasons why she couldn't do things - she didn't want to go to the gym as she felt embarrassed, she couldn't do exercises because they hurt, she couldn't eat vegetables because they made her feel sick, blah blah blah. It was all crap. Her brain had become wired to rationalise away anything that would involve her doing anything, or involving anything that involved making changes to take her out of the hell that she was experiencing.

When we finally managed to infect her with the "barbell bug" the weight came off she felt better and was more confident in her look, but most noticable to me was how she exuded confidence and control with her ability to self determine. to chose what she wanted to do, and who she wanted to be.

Take the easy way...
    We are conditioned constantly throughout our lives by commercial advertising to "make the easy choice", "to just relax", "put your feet up" or all manner of other energy sapping suggestions. One cannot blame companies from attempting to disempower you. Such suggestions are critical in getting you to outsource your tasks to others, even when you are more than capable of doing it yourself.

There is nothing easy about bodybuilding though, going to the gym, lifting heavy weights, pushing through failure in the gym, and nursing self inflicted pain when recovering between sessions. It's not about choosing the easy path, but intentionally picking the hard way. It brings a look which is not common or easy to get, as the road one has to go down to get there, is one that most people fear to tread.

Most people look for the easiest or quickest path to have big muscles, their 6pack and to have a look that turns heads - to see the truth in this just turn on one of the many shopping channels on late night tv (or take your headphones out in a DW gym and listen to the adverts ) and you will be bombarded with suggestions that you can get a 6pack with 3 minutes a day, or do "6 seconds abs".

Tipping points
    Another matter is that of tipping points - when people subconsciously give up the fight and fall back to a defensive position. Rather than accept that there have been failures for whatever reason in the past and focus their attention on getting what they want, they attempt to rationalise away their failings in a barrage of excuses to defend their ego. Whilst this strategy may cocoon their ego, it does little to help their efforts to change, and IME actually impairs progress as it distracts one from the real work to be done. There is always something that can be done, even if progress is snail like, even if humbling compared to where we once were or achieve, one always has some power to control some parts of their circumstances, until the point when one chooses not to fight any more. When it comes to bodybuilding that is not acceptable IMHO.

To walk a rare path
    To have a look that turns heads, one must have a look that people do not see every day. That comes from walking a path that others do not wish to, or cannot stomach the journey. IMO bodybuilding, powerlifting and serious physical pursuits require CHOOSING to walk that path, and in making that choice, changes their life in a very fundamental way whose effects reach far far outside the gym. It's about saying I know i can take the easy path, but I choose not to. Whereas some people will find excuses why they cannot do the most basic of exercise, those who have made that choice to take the hard path, will run up the hill and do it again just to because they can.

Getting aches and pains in the gym, why not train while you watch tv...
    My gym used to run adverts that suggested that people go home and get some QVC-esque gadget that they could train their abs whilst they watch tv. This was played to people as they trained! Luckily I had the dulcet tones of disturbed to drown out their energy and will sapping endeavors, but for those who had not taken control of what sounds they were exposed to, they were getting subconscious messages to weaken their resolve and impair their workouts.
    Terrible behavior and poor form on behalf of the gym IMO.

IMO the aches and pains are yours to own and wallow in. They are not something to be masked, something to be avoided, or to be pushed into the darkness of one's mind, but to be held into the light, recognized for what they are, and the causes of them to be recognized too. Pain is not something to be avoided but embraced as a sign that you are exerting the sort of effort that is forcing your body to adapt.

Empowerment goes beyond training...
    Some time ago, I worked with some young people from disadvantaged backgrounds who had assumed that cooking for themselves was hard, and that the only option was to buy packages of premeasured ingredients. The thing with this group was that nobody had ever showed them how, however they had been bombarded with commercial messages that had sapped them of their own innate abilities.

Taking an hour out from my schedule was all it took to show them some basics - how to weight out ingredients, combining some basic ingredients, doing conversions, etc and most importantly showing them how companies had tricked them into believing they were incapable, whereas they were infact more capable than they could have ever imagined. I am now proud of their achievements in not only providing themselves with more nutritious food, at much cheaper prices, but more importantly in the confidence they now have in having a go regardless of whether they have made that dish before. They too are now willing to walk off the well trodden path, and see what they can do.

...We do these things not because they are easy but because they are hard...
    [ Source : JFK Speech at Rice University ]​

IMHO there is much to be gained from leaving the usual paths that people have walked, and doing things not because they are easy, but because they are hard, doing this often builds a state of mind that empowers one to do things that they never thought they could do before, to overcome obstacles in life, and to crack on when others want to rest.

Building a better look is great fun and so rewarding, but the real gift from this game is in slaying the sloth and embracing the "Machine Within" that exists within you.

J

Gav, Milky, Ash1981 and 29 others like this.

2. Ebarbieri3

Ebarbieri3 Full Member

Are you a motivational speaker? If not, you should be. Great post.

bulldog and Pend like this.
  3. Kate1976

Kate1976 Competitor

This should be a sticky :)

Dig likes this.
  4. Joshua

Joshua Moderator Moderator

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Thanks for your kind words! I am not a motivational speaker, unless I am trying to pump some ardor into a disenchanted friend.

Thanks. That is down for members and the other mods to decide - I don't like trying to assess the merit of my posts.

J

Robbie likes this.
  5. Kate1976

Kate1976 Competitor

6. Con

Con Moderator

Done:)

7. Kate1976

Kate1976 Competitor

8. actin

actin Balls of Stallion Full Member

Excellent post Joshua

9. wilson1811

wilson1811 Full Member

@Joshua - Inspiring and motivating post bud!

10. niftyfifty

niftyfifty Full Member

@Joshua

Terrific post, mate - thanks

Posted using TMuscle App

11. Greyphantom

Greyphantom Moderator

Training Log:
    Click Here
    How the hell did I miss this back in the day... brilliant post and if I can I will pinch this to post on my facebook page if thats ok @Joshua

12. Floydy

Floydy Floydy: Fit at Fifty Top Contributor

I've only just seen this too. How true this post is and the most well-written I've seen yet. Wish my two lardy stepdaughters would recognise the facts.

13. round 2

round 2 Top Contributor

Hmmmm seems you have detoxed your mind of fluoride.

Im afraid ill have to inform the establishment:)

Posted using TMuscle App

Joshua likes this.
  14. plod

plod Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Another first time viewer
    Excellent post :thumb:

15. taurusken

taurusken

Just read this. Great post and motivating too. I'll read it again when I have another misery guts moment. Thanks

Posted using TMuscle App