Almost A Bodybuilder

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by noel, Dec 29, 2016.

1. noel

noel Moderator

been so hungry of late ive been swapping my oats and whey for chicken plus some Heinz Macaroni cheese...its low fat and just so handy at work to microwave for 3 mins... not every day but a few times....cheap and easy substitution and a bit more filling

Push:
    Seated DB lat raise: 16kg 1x13, 1x10
    Hammer Machine Press (small Version) 155lb 1x8, 135lb per side 1x10
    Smith Incline Press 125lb 1x11, 135lb 1x7...wasnt meant to do it this way around just my working set exceeded reps (7-9) so upped the 'back off' set
    High incline DB Press ...42kg 1x12....can get heavier for sure
    Pec Dec 100 1x13,7,3 RP set
    Tricep Machine 110 1x9....just one notch off the max again
    One Arm Cable Tricep 12.5 1x15, 15 1x12....... back to matching pre inuury weight!
    Single arm DB Preacher Curl....20kg 1x9, 1x8......though it was 18kg so that was a result... again almost back to pre injury
    Front Double Bicep Curl....10 1x15, 12.15 1x15....

all in all pretty good here....accessory stuff is pre injury or there abouts....big lifts are close and will take a bit more time, which i am fine with, as tendons and everything need to catch up...it was all genuine failure and I'm even more aware/accurate at the moment with form..... hunger is super high too.....

prob going to end up kipping in hospital tonight as Mrs has her op on her hip tendons, some PRP and also a bit of scraping basically so its not too bad and just 2 days in for her. Must say makes you feel fortunate to have solid health care cover thats for sure. We have had our fair usage out of it between us this year and its only Feb!.... else would have cost us about 60k GBP so far ! actually more if you include physio etc on top ..... never moan about paying a premium or having deductions for it!

Show wise we hopefully dont get too effected by virus stupidity.... we have Bangkok Pro in Early May and then Korea Pro in Jun.... BKK is Bikini and MP pro, Korea is everything except Womens BB/WP.......few regional and pro qualifiers around that time also, one here in HK, one in Singapore and Korea plus Thailand.... if they do run then might be some lucky people as Iran looks set to be banned from everywhere, China too, and some countries banning Korea....so that takes out some serious competitiors!

2. noel

noel Moderator

Mrs op went well,hospital was very good so that was encouraging... 8 to 12 weeks to see how went re tendons and the labram but the docs are all positive

so went on my own to weekend gym while she rested - had a cracking session, back to previous with some genuine fresh PBs which was a big boost

Legs
    Laying Leg Curl 81 1x12, 88 1x7
    Watson Hack 4 plates a side 1x10, 4.5 plates 1x10
    Leg press 10 plates a side 1x10
    Leg Extension ISO 45 1x12, 50 1x10
    ISO Ham Curl 45 1x12, 55 1x9
    Abductor 110 1x13, 110 1x11
    Seated Calf 40k 1x10, 1x9

wait creeping up
    im thinking as my training is now a lot heavier im holding a bit more fluid and maybe added a little bit of tissue back after my injury. anyway its all good

this week ill be cautious on pull days, i think i might skip racks/DL for a week or two as im just irritating my groin and its recovering a bit then im redoing each pull session so its stupid...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Mr mac, Greedy Ben, bertos and 3 others like this.
  3. noel

noel Moderator

few long days at work so having to train late late afternoon like 4pm, so a bit tired (am up before 5) so it s a bit different upside is more food inside me, downside is busier gym, and then a bit less sleep....but its just for this week

still was positive
    MAG grip lat pull 107 1x10, 117 1x7
    Facing Bench DB Dual Row.....48kg 1x12, 52kg 1x9 (gyms max weight)
    Chin Ups, 2 sets,
    D Bar Cable Row...117 1x10, 127 1x10
    Reverse Pec Dec 80 1x11, 1x10, 1x9
    Single Arm Cable Bicep Curl 10 1x12, 12.5 1x10
    Leg press busy and it was late so swerved that and abs

not bad session usually my quickest one but waiting killed 15-20 mins.... idiots supersetting the entire gym or half asleep surfing on their phones tying up the benches a pet hate.

not sure of weight as legged out this morning but c119kg at the moment , almost end of week 8 of my cruise too.

Greedy Ben and pooley1810 like this.
  4. noel

noel Moderator

another long day, just one where it gets to training time and your enthusiastic but you just feel tired already, sleep not been as good this week as im eating loads pre bed, trying to go to bed earlier and then getting warm or waking up as im worried about the 445am alarm!.. even with GH and CBD oil..... just one of those weeks....

Push
    10 min wait to use the rack to set up my shoulder press and incline, and ended up in the narrower of the 2 as someone was doing a 5min rest, then a 2 min walk about, a 2min phone check then another walk before doing his 2 plates a side "powerlifting".......

hey ho
    Seated Shoulder Press....90lb es 1x10, 100es 1x10, 105lb es 1x5 (too greedy)...off my best of 125lb but it seems my legs are 'remembering' far quicker than my upper body!
    Incline Bench..... 100lb es 1x10, 110lb es 1x10..... again well off my 145lb es max....but its progress so ill take it
    Tricep Dip Machine 107 1x10, 107 1x9
    Cable Fly (up) 11.25 1x12, 1x10
    One Arm Cable Side raise 7.5 1x12, 10 1x10, 10 1x9
    Tricep Push...with Ez bar MAX 1x10, 1x10....back to pre injury weight
    was late and i was knackered and someone was farting about on the preacher so i just swerved it and left....no abs no calves either

will be rest today and 30mins cardio , then legs friday...however I may just skip it , rest and then do a B2B sat and sun Legs and Pull ....as i can then have a proper kip and get over this long week of extended work hours
    weight 120 on waking! but this is as i ate 2 meals together almost then jumped into bed and not time for a shit until i got to the office...i think next week ill be 118.5 ish most days

all in all ive still progressed this week from previous whilst training later and having less sleep and worse sleep.... so i shouldnt grumble... next week (with my colleague/biz partner back) and things calmer ill be able to train mid morning again or early afternoon - im a creature of habit and so find this benefits me.

5. noel

noel Moderator

good weekend again..... never have a bad one to be fair!

UFC awesome fight as expected, most people i spoke to where like you are more hyped about the girls fight than the main event , i was like yeah should be good, well fuck me was it !! then the main event went like i feared it might ....though a worse version.

Chelsea looked good, Gilmour outstanding once again.

Gym..
    Laying Ham Curl 88 1x9, 88 1x9....new best
    Watson Hack 90kg each side 1x10, 5 plates (100kg) each side 1x9....new best
    Leg press.... 11 plates each side 1x9.... still a few plats off the pace
    Leg Extension ISO) 50 1x10, 50 1x10....
    ISO Ham Curl 55 1x12
    Abductor 110 1x14, 117 1x14....close to pre injury weights
    Adductor 75 1x15, 75 1x15....
    Sissy Squat holding 15kg plate 1x12, holding 20kg plate 1x12

good. new PBs and everything pretty much on pre injury weights

PULL
    Wide MAG grip pull down 107 1x12, 117 1x9....new best
    Watson T bar row 80kg 1x9, 1x6....grip just went but a new best
    Hammer Chest plate seated machine row 103 1x10, 110 1x6.....almost back to pre injury weight
    Megium MAG Cable Row 97 1x10, 1x8
    Rear Delt Machine 68 1x10, 1x10, 1x9
    Bicep Curl Machine ISO....39 1x9, 39 1x7....
    Seated Calf Raise 40 1x12, 1x12

not bad also

pretty happy there over all.... 119kg on waking

6. noel

noel Moderator

due to US clock change in work a touch later now so those extra 15-20mins in bed are well received.

got myself back in habit of a morning coffee too, but im drinking it an hour or so pre training (roughly) and training about 930/10 now....so its still roughly in keeping with my caffeine free drive .....was off for a month whilst injured / hospital, and on rest days i avoid and really feel a difference....

Pull
    avoided racks or DL for past few weeks due to niggle on LHS of groin post injury and not wanting to make it worse just stuck to using everything else. However fancied trying today with the promise to myself id ditch if i felt anything

Wide Lat Pull 117 1x9, 1x8...progress again but one clip below best

decided on Trap bar DL...so bar +80kg es 1x10, 1x10. not too bad but minor pulling feel.... still almost 200kg for a couple of sets isnt bad going after such a long lay off....i can for sure do more but not without probably injurying myself.... annoying but positive at the same time

D bar attachment pull downs 107 1x11, 117 1x9 ...new best
    One Arm Hammer Row ....5 plates a side 1x11, 6 plates a side 1x9.... new best
    Facing bench DB rear delts 12kg 1x11, 1x12, 1x11
    One Arm Bicep Curl 12kg 1x12, 14kg 1x12

so not bad all in all.... still got to be a bit careful but almost back to normal now - and at 8 weeks into a cruise its decent enough. Just got to have a careful think now about my next step.... i havent dieted for a long time, and prob wouldnt mind looking a bit leaner for the summer months at least. Have to weight that up with adding more tissue and also thinking about shows..... still havent made a firm call but i need to..... one possible is to maybe do a show in the US week before Olympia ..... as Mrs will prob do it (pro version obviously) then i can go Vegas and enjoy, be in good nick, and also be on the money for the final quarter of the year where we have a shit ton of asian shows and i cant realistically be competing and looking after other competitors... plus will be travelling every weekend for the 6 weeks after Olympia to the shows, then a two week break then another 2/3 shows (all regionally but still its travel ....and 1.5 to 3.5 hours flying each time........

noreason and huntingground like this.
  7. Mr mac

Mr mac TM Health & Safety officer Top Contributor

How many days a week do you train Noel and what’s the split. I.e 2on 1 off?

8. noel

noel Moderator

usually its PULL, PUSH , rest, LEGS, rest repeat however I do change that occasionally due to work or for example im meant to do LEGS today but my weekend gym is miles better so ill do Legs Sat and then back Sun - both at different chain but super well equipped gyms... my regular gym I go to is a fancy type one with machines very small that I cant use most of them....which limits me a lot.... weekends I have all the Watson kit so big leg press, pendulum squat, hack squat and the hammer strength range of machines plus other bits.....much better atmosphere too as its all the competitors...… however I find if I do 3 days im fucked and the 3rd day is basically not as productive as im training fairly hard, progessive style etc.... ive learned to not worry about an extra rest day here and there, I used to hate missing a day - or feel I was going backwards if I had more than 1 rest day a week, yet made good progress this way

Mr mac and pooley1810 like this.
  9. GhostOf2Can

GhostOf2Can Top Contributor

I’m guilty of falling in to that trap as well. If your really training hard an extra rest day can only be a benefit

I’m still trying to train myself to take more time off but I’m getting there slowly

pooley1810 and noel like this.
  10. pooley1810

pooley1810 Moderator

I've always trained like this, I've literally gotta be dead on my feet before taking a rest day unless it's out of my control
    My diet and recovery is very good but its always in the back of my mind that if I rested more, i would make more progress
    But it's just not my mentality. I love training and it's part of my day, the shifts I work mean I've got so much spare time I can always justify going to the gym
    Maybe one day when my body is telling me to fuck off, I'll have to rethink

Mr mac and noel like this.
  11. noel

noel Moderator

I love training too and would be the same, but i think ive just learned to listen a little more, at the moment im clucking to go train legs after a day off and it gives me some room to increase output for preps - plus my work isnt manual but very mental and can be super tiring, 12-14 hrs so those rest days really help.... i know my recovery isnt the same - saying that if i feel great ill do 2 and rest 2 and rest on occasion (prob this weekend for example) i just adjust around work/feel a touch more than i did previously where id refuse to take days off...

pooley1810 likes this.
  12. huntingground

huntingground King Kenny Competitor

I'm the same as Pooley, I just train as often as my schedule allows. I would rather eat a little extra and sleep a little extra to compensate (I know that isn't perfect BTW).

Definite trend towards deloads and time off but, unless lifting real heavy and smashing CNS, then I see no need for it (for me anyhow as I don't train mega heavy now).

pooley1810 likes this.
  13. noel

noel Moderator

now i rarely deload or take much time off as this schedule allows be plenty of rest, on holiday i can train like this too......

huntingground likes this.
  14. noel

noel Moderator

and also this whole last year has been about adding tissue, getting lean i can do. I need/ed to grow - you dont do that in the gym - and we all have different recovery rates - ive found this has worked well for me and my body type for this long offseason that ive done.

pooley1810 and huntingground like this.
  15. Mr mac

Mr mac TM Health & Safety officer Top Contributor

I’m the same as you lot. If I have 2 days off work I want to train both days even though I know I’m better doing every other day or even 3 days a week. I can’t recover very well doing 2 on the trot

noel likes this.