An Intense Mentality

L3GGYJ

One thing I have noticed in the 2.5yrs I have been training is the lack of intensity in most peoples training. I train at a hardcore gym in Danbury, Essex called Xtreme Muscle Gym, and considering the name there aren't many people there that fit it!
When I enter the gym I make sure I'm switched on and like all aspects of my life I'm focusing my energy on the task at hand.
This does not mean going in and lifting all the weight I can for crap reps with crap form (despite training Dorian style and hitting max weights every session). It means me and my partner are in there to grow and we are training with the intent on doing so. We motivate each other and push to our limits, letting each other know what we're doing wrong and making constructive suggestions. We don't fool around on phones between sets (except to record the weights used) and we get the job done! Too many people are taking up valuable equipment time these days chatting and pretending to train hard, where really they are using the gym as a social platform rather than a training facility...
Just thought I'd get this thought out there guys as I'm sure loads of people on this forum deal with the same issue on a daily basis.
Now I'm wondering, how do you deal with this issue during your own training?
Ryan

Posted using TMuscle App

The gym I train in is well equipped and there is a good balance of people who really push themselves and compete to the guys who prop up the counter and throw in a couple of sets between conversations.

Not something I really care about though, once I'm in the gym all I really care about is my session, I have no issue with what others want to do unless they are hogging a bench or machine I want to use

Had to tell my new training partner a few things after his 1st week, no phones n no gossip, I'll happily sit for 15mins after training to hear the stories from the wknd but I'm in there for one thing, and that's to train.

Posted using TMuscle App

Just leave them to it, it's their life, they're the ones being counter-productive if they're fucking about.

Complete waste of energy even thinking about them.

As long as I know I'm training my bollocks off that's all that matters to me.

The gym I train in is well equipped and there is a good balance of people who really push themselves and compete to the guys who prop up the counter and throw in a couple of sets between conversations.

Not something I really care about though, once I'm in the gym all I really care about is my session, I have no issue with what others want to do unless they are hogging a bench or machine I want to use
You see that's my mentality as well, although the problem comes with the fact they ARE hogging equipment lol

Posted using TMuscle App

Had to tell my new training partner a few things after his 1st week, no phones n no gossip, I'll happily sit for 15mins after training to hear the stories from the wknd but I'm in there for one thing, and that's to train.

Posted using TMuscle App
Indeed mate, had to drop my last training partner because every time were in the gym he has no motivation to push me and his training intensity levels are very low. Got someone my own strength and experience level now so looking forward to taking things further in the coming weeks!

Posted using TMuscle App

But....
Do you and your training partner see gains above and beyond these other guys?
Or....
Are you those loud annoying guys that every gym has that tries so very hard to be hardcore?

Being intense IMO is not shouting "come on diesel lets fly bring the pain" but it's a full focus on working the target muscle/activating as many muscle fibers as possible to train to your full capacity.

One of my most intense members at my gym is this really shy kid.
He's a little cross eyed and for the longest time wouldn't even look me in the eye but would look at the ground.
In the past year he has gone from stick like to having a physique where you can say "yeah he hoists the iron!".
He has a log book and follows an exact program (not sure totally what it is but he has been consistently adding 2.5kg every workout for as long as I can remember".
When he lifts he does so with full intention, every muscle fiber fires and by the last rep his body shakes like crazy as he grinds that last rep up.
No talking just in and then out.

Then I had an ex member that I kicked out.
Would come in wearing an ANIMAL shirt, screaming shouting, head butting the bar....just being a total tool.
Using piss poor form because by the time he actually did the lift he would be too exhausted from all the "psyching up" to give it his all.

I see that all the time, and in my gym it's more prominent when girls are in doing cardio, the shouting gets louder.

I train in a hoody with my hood up, for no other reason than I copied Kai Greene when I first started training, then I actually noticed that no one bothered me when I had my good up so there it stays, unless it's unbearable heat, in Scotland is very unlikely.

There's 2 guys in my gym who train in stringers (no problem) but haven't really progressed in about a year, yet they come in shouting n screaming, they drop dumbells from height just to make a noise and actually talk to the squat rack, when my partner trains chest for example, I'll press his pecs hard with my finger so he remembers to engage them, and a word in his ear when I see him start to struggle, no need for pretend intensity but I see it all the time.

Realised that's a bit of a rant. Lol.

Posted using TMuscle App

I see that all the time, and in my gym it's more prominent when girls are in doing cardio, the shouting gets louder.

I train in a hoody with my hood up, for no other reason than I copied Kai Greene when I first started training, then I actually noticed that no one bothered me when I had my good up so there it stays, unless it's unbearable heat, in Scotland is very unlikely.

There's 2 guys in my gym who train in stringers (no problem) but haven't really progressed in about a year, yet they come in shouting n screaming, they drop dumbells from height just to make a noise and actually talk to the squat rack, when my partner trains chest for example, I'll press his pecs hard with my finger so he remembers to engage them, and a word in his ear when I see him start to struggle, no need for pretend intensity but I see it all the time.

Realised that's a bit of a rant. Lol.

Posted using TMuscle App
You sure you don't just want to touch him and ultimately bum him? @Prodiver would probably say this is the case ;)

Posted using TMuscle App
Absolutely.
I trained with a kid who was nattering constantly between sets and also as he lifted. I stopped training with him as I was getting nothing done.
Since then I've always trained by myself. If I need a spotter I'll ask the nearest passer by.

Back