• While members here are knowledgeable, they are not doctors and are not able to diagnose or recommend treatment for medical conditions. Please consult a health care professional rather than risk your health.

Anterior Deltoid pain from benchpress

Viktor

Top Contributor
Another workout, another injury......:rolleyes:

Today training chest I had a bit of a blow out at 120kg, I was warm and had done a few reps the 'ping' I had a sharp pain in my anterior delta area so racked the bar. I know why it happened - I changed to a wider grip thus extending the angle of (un) natural movement.

Anway with my home diagnosis is suspect one of the following:

Damage to rotatory cuff, Damage to the tendons of the glenohumeral joint or a tear in the deltoid.

I'm not sure which to be honest but I suspect a stage 1/2 injury to the anterior delt?

My physio is booked up and the first appointment is Tues so I'm in limbo till then.

Too be honest it's not so bad, I still did biceps after the injury and I've not lost any range of movement. The only way I suspect I would feel pain would be benching?

I've been icing and putting on Tiger Balm, I plan to dead lift Saturday - any problem with this?

Anyone (who knows what they are talking about) like Prodiver care to offer an opinion based on what I've written and any suggestions please?

Thanks.:)

Where's the pain - in the ant delt muscle, or in the tendon attaching to the humerus?

Or under the middle delt?

Hard to be 100% accurate but I would suspect after having a bit of a prod the tendon attaching the humerous.

Doesn't sound like the RC. Tendon strain at the muscle end will heal pretty quick. Torn at the insertion's a bit more serious. Rest it and see how it goes.

Doesn't sound like the RC. Tendon strain at the muscle end will heal pretty quick. Torn at the insertion's a bit more serious. Rest it and see how it goes.

Thanks mate :)

I'm hoping for tendon strain but I'm not sure; maybe a stage 1 tear?

Icing for the first 24 hours and Tiger Balm, will heat tomorrow. Do you think it will be okay for light dead lifts Saturday or should I give it total rest? (obviously total rest is best but I would like to train 'around' the injury if possible)

Be wise. No stressing it for 48 hours after any pain disappears or it'll pop again...

Ice immediately, warmth and manipulation now.

And never throw or heave weights. You'll grow just as well moving a lighter weight (within your tendon strength) slower: it's the slow lowering that causes most of the hypertrophy.

In fact if you injure yourself you won't grow at all!

Excellent thanks for your input. :)

I will report back as to how things develop.

Back