Are Ukbff Trying To Kill Off Bodybuilding?

Not being a prick but what kind of venues are those?
Over here you may get a high school venue for about 2 grand and a real theater will cost more like 4k (I am talking sterling not dollar).

My kids birthday parties cost me about £400 for about 20 kids for 3 hours.
That's why they take it in turns, shit gets expensive.

I probably sounded more confrontational than I meant - but if you want to look at it like that, then yeah it is a valid argument. I've ran one show, and been intimately close to others being ran, so I know the costs and the potential return, in this area of course.

Your London point is only semi valid; the Brits I believe has only been held there once in recent years I believe? Wasn't it back at Nottingham this year?

You have a valid point re judges being paid and expenses - however we are back to the old argument - if you choose to run it as a business with making money as the goal, then its only fit you pay wages or expenses. I'm not sure judges get wages though - @Big Bear can you confirm the UKBFF payment arrangements as they were when you were a judge?

Most shows are ran with a core of passionate people who want to put on a good show for the competitors and spectators. Oftentimes they do it cheap, or free. I've already got a core of guys buzzing to be involved, and not one of them expects a dime in return.

Trophies can be expensive, no doubt. Just awarding top 3 at our show last year, with 8 classes, the basic trophy costs were just over 1400. Then you have overall(s) to award.

So it isn't cheap - but when you consider even at 15 quid a ticket, every 100 spectators will bring 1.5k in (I think UKBFF charged more for tickets) and even the poorest attended show will bring in 400+ if well advertised, you can see there is a fair budget to play with.

Wasn't meaning to sound too much on the attack on your post, sorry if that came over - I was just trying to make the point that you were stating expenses like they justified everything; they don't

no probs

The local ukbff shows to me there's about 120 competitors and 80 of these were men's physique and bikini classes. Push comes to shove
I know which way the axe would fall!

Plus the negative publicity the ifbb don't want associated with bodybuilder,s online talking about gear. Or on telly for that matter!!

Not saying physique people don't but being abnormaly big is becoming socially unacceptable from a marketing point of view so makes an easy target.

pepe.jpg

@round2

That makes sense - 120 competitors about 80 being bikini. Average competitor count up here at least among "real" bodybuilders is about 40, and the typical spectator to competitor ratio is around 1 to 10, even at poorer advertised shows

More than enough to float a bloody good show, circa 6k from ticket sales, half taken up by venue plus trophies, and then there is the opportunity of sponsor revenue. Im not charging any athlete entry fee - the boys and girls pay enough as it is - and hopefully be able to put up some sort of cash purse for male and female overall...

Ill post pics of the venue soon in my show thread, @Stephen will confirm it is as close to perfect as it gets. Location not immediately ideal but its just minutes off one of the main motorways up here so really easy to get to :-)

On top of membership. Yes i do, this is a show where they dont even give out medals or certificates to people who dont make top 6.
not sure if I got this right but you reckon they should get a cert or medal just for showing up?? very very counterproductive imho and tbh would just make it like a school yard thing to mollify fragile egos... you dont get a medal or cert then train harder to come in better... hell I pay to go to the worlds and its not cheap and if I dont come top 6 nada I dont cry and say hey I turned up I go away and figure out what I can do better to get that top 6... way too much of this mentality about imho where people think they are entitled to something...

Reactions: RS
@round2

That makes sense - 120 competitors about 80 being bikini. Average competitor count up here at least among "real" bodybuilders is about 40, and the typical spectator to competitor ratio is around 1 to 10, even at poorer advertised shows

More than enough to float a bloody good show, circa 6k from ticket sales, half taken up by venue plus trophies, and then there is the opportunity of sponsor revenue. Im not charging any athlete entry fee - the boys and girls pay enough as it is - and hopefully be able to put up some sort of cash purse for male and female overall...

Ill post pics of the venue soon in my show thread, @Stephen will confirm it is as close to perfect as it gets. Location not immediately ideal but its just minutes off one of the main motorways up here so really easy to get to :-)
Yup, cracking venue.

I know certain venues do charge a fortune, the corn exchange costs a fortune, my mates have their tattoo convention in there due to it being one of the few venues with the electrical capacity to run the machines but I imagine charges paid previously when Steph had it there would be similar and several multiples of what your looking at.

Wrt paying an entrance fee, I wouldn't have an issue bug asking you to pay a membership fee and entrance fee also is taking the piss a bit.

If lighting, sound, backstage is all put together properly then the show gets a good rep, Jimmy's lochgelly show was always well attended despite no affiliations purely for these reasons, add to it the ibfa qualifier and it should attract a decent number of people.

Without smoke blowing, the fact your running it will encourage many other people to ensure it goes as well as possible so I have to say I'm looking forward to it.

Yup, cracking venue.

I know certain venues do charge a fortune, the corn exchange costs a fortune, my mates have their tattoo convention in there due to it being one of the few venues with the electrical capacity to run the machines but I imagine charges paid previously when Steph had it there would be similar and several multiples of what your looking at.

Wrt paying an entrance fee, I wouldn't have an issue bug asking you to pay a membership fee and entrance fee also is taking the piss a bit.

If lighting, sound, backstage is all put together properly then the show gets a good rep, Jimmy's lochgelly show was always well attended despite no affiliations purely for these reasons, add to it the ibfa qualifier and it should attract a decent number of people.

Without smoke blowing, the fact your running it will encourage many other people to ensure it goes as well as possible so I have to say I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks mate, but most folk have me penned - correctly tbh - as a knob, hopefully they will see past that and see that this ahow isnt business - its passion. Cheesey I know but thats the truth.

Competitors will have to join IBFA on the day - £20 - but by time my show comes round most will be joined up. The usual setup is that half goesvto ibfa, half to promoter, but ill not be taking my half. Putting it all to ibfa.

Def no athlete entry fee, it doesnt sit well with me and I have to run this true to myself, no matter what.

Im even thinking of having no trophies, instead giving the top 3 the equivalent cash the trophy would have cost, and maybe a plaque - but thats just an idea at current

I'd rather have a good trophy than the cash but I realise others would be the exact opposite...

Aye but you are one of TMs "internet loaded top 10" so cash means nothing to you, bet you have an internet 14" cock as well :lol:

Nah I know exactly what you mean, thats why its just an idea I'm turning over in my head, not a definite

Aye but you are one of TMs "internet loaded top 10" so cash means nothing to you, bet you have an internet 14" cock as well :lol:

Nah I know exactly what you mean, thats why its just an idea I'm turning over in my head, not a definite
tbh me too... its something thats tangible that indicates your graft to get to where you got to... I dont have many but the ones I do I look at with pride... even if theyre metal (no plastic in powerlifting you budgie smuggler wearing marmite covered nancys :D x)

Aye but you are one of TMs "internet loaded top 10" so cash means nothing to you, bet you have an internet 14" cock as well [emoji38]

Maybe if I had 3 cocks [emoji6]

Once the cash is gone it's gone but the trophy you can keep, I suppose if you have plenty trophies it'd be different as well, just extra emphasis on getting particularly good trophies and a couple good sponsors I reckon

Reactions: RS
The sooner the UKBFF die off the better. Unfortunately thanks to the Baywatch competition this seems unlikely to happen.

As far as the male n female bikini goes, I was there all Sunday and didn't see any?
Was all on the Saturday and I knew this hence only buying a Sunday ticket.

They are already starting to have there own quals and other events.

Iv said it for a while now I think the plan is to use bbing as a stepping stone to eventually have a sort of sub federation within the ukbff that has its own events.

Hopefully pretty soon you'll not see this at a bbing show.

As for pics
Same as NABBA... just keep flash off n all is good.

Back