Back To Flat Benching

fitdog

Top Contributor
Not flat benched in many many months after tearing pec then tearing it again, so got back under bar this week , felt great, no pain quite strong but technique needs working on very unstable.

Never touched flat bench press for over 12 months. Had my final scare re rotators (MRI)....So switched to decline bench press and bingo! No injuries and my chest has gained in size and shape...

Why go back to something like the flat bench when it is notorious for pec tears and rotator issues?

I do it because when flat benching i saw my best muscle gains in chest delts and triceps, but mainly because i enjoy flat bench and aim to compete next year.

Your obvious choice mate. I'd just be aware of the injuries already occurred via that movement...Hope you stay injury free.

Never touched flat bench press for over 12 months. Had my final scare re rotators (MRI)....So switched to decline bench press and bingo! No injuries and my chest has gained in size and shape...

Why go back to something like the flat bench when it is notorious for pec tears and rotator issues?
agree 100% decline is much better...or dips which i have always liked better than bench press.

Exactly the same. 2 pec ruptures in 2016 means I'll not flat and probably only decline bench with a bar again.
Reason I started posting recently as I've lost all passion for the gym.

Exactly the same. 2 pec ruptures in 2016 means I'll not flat and probably only decline bench with a bar again.
Reason I started posting recently as I've lost all passion for the gym.
Lost all passion for gym
Joins bb board

Dat strong logic

I've just started doing decline and weighted dips instead of flat and incline bench like someone said before strength is up a chest looking better, no more shoulder niggles.

Your technique could be improved a bit mate, which would lead to far greater stability on the movement.

Bringing your scapula/shoulder blades back and down slightly, and keeping a 70% tension on them throughout the movement, including while at the top, will make a huge difference.

This takes some practice, start with just your warm up sets, as to pull the scapula back while pressing the weight forward is counter-intuitive to begin with.

Also any arch needs to be in the upper back, the thoracic spine, not the lower back, that won't really help and can cause unwanted stress.

If you are anywhere near Kent, pop in to the gym and I'll be more than happy to go through it with you and show you some other things that can help, no charge :thumb:

Back