Back To It Post Illness. Help Needed!!

Hello folks, this is my first post, but have been reading across the boards here and it’s spot on!!

So, I’m finally recovered and better after a serious 18 odd month illness. Won’t go in to the details, as not here to give you a fucking sob story - but saw me lose A LOT of weight and size.

Before hand I was 6ft 1 and around 195lbs @ 9-10% BF. I’m now around 160lbs, skinny fat (maybe 15 ish %) and look like a bleeding prisoner of war.

Good news is I’m cleared to train and my energy levels are finally getting better daily.

So I want to start training again full on and use this chance to recomp and slowly build lean mass for a long period of time.

Should I focus on a lean bulk and with good clean food sources? Set my calories up to slowly add - maybe a pound a week? Or as I’ve dropped so much - just go full blast and a “seefood diet”? Rather slowly add lean mass, but unsure of best approach in my current shit state.

Calories and macro suggestions?

I’m 39, and a couple decades training under my belt, but the atrophy has been fucking brutal and almost needing to start again!! ‍♂️

Apologies if have waffled on here, but any help would be really appreciated and TIA chaps...

Reactions: Rob
Good to hear you are back in,totally understand after 9 rounds of chemo and learning to walk again.
Take it easy on the build up,fat packs on so easy after a long time out!

Good to hear you are back in,totally understand after 9 rounds of chemo and learning to walk again.
Take it easy on the build up,fat packs on so easy after a long time out!
Appreciate the reply mate and good to see you’re back on your feet and all good!!

I’m currently running in a slight surplus, getting used to regular meals again and doing light cardio to increase the energy levels.

Any suggestions for when I get back in the gym nutrition wise? Like I am now and keep slightly upping the calories when I hit a plateau?

Do you think past steroid use might have contributed to your illness/weight loss? Just curious cos we're injecting not pharma grade roids.

Do you think past steroid use might have contributed to your illness/weight loss? Just curious cos we're injecting not pharma grade roids.
That’s a fair question fella, but, PED use had no connection with my situation and actually something I discussed at the time with GP/Doctors etc.
It’s something hereditary, which is good in one way - as can get my son checked out. Any past PED use for me has always been minimal and with constant blood work.
Anyway, any suggestions about nutrition for the slow lean bulk? I will be putting the hard yards in first naturally first and getting the most out of quality food, training and rest!!

Back