Best Diet For Cutting Up

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by Kyguy89, May 23, 2018.

1. Kyguy89

Kyguy89 Full Member

Hoping to get some good advice on what to change on diet for cutting up, what should be altered? Thank you in advance

2. G-G

G-G Ex Competitor

Altered compared to what?

More than one way to skin a cat as they say, but just eat less is a good start

Kyguy89 likes this.
  3. Kyguy89

Kyguy89 Full Member

Well lighten up on carbs, proteins or starches. Pretty much what would you recommend to trim off most fat but try and not lose lean muscle.Especially abs and chest

jayks likes this.
  4. FATBOY

FATBOY Age is just a number Competitor

everybody is different , I like a high carb low fat diet works for me clean carbs , rice oats tatas only exception is bedtime when I have protein and fats .eggs and peanut butter.

post up your current diet well take a look

Kyguy89 and jrichards30 like this.
  5. Kyguy89

Kyguy89 Full Member

I follow this pretty well.Times of meals maybe off a little. And with my work schedule my gym sessions are either morning or late night before bed.

Attached Files:

6. G-G

G-G Ex Competitor

Calories is king really, everything else is secondary, although personally I found intermittent fasting and timed carbs works best for me

7. Kyguy89

Kyguy89 Full Member

I was looking up fasting and it seems it does help. I just don't know if it's really true facts since its online. So moderate carbs through the day and proteins mainly at night? For cutting up and maybe lower calories to 2500-3000 a day?

8. G-G

G-G Ex Competitor

Calories depend on the person.

IF is just a way to manage calories really, although I personally found it accelerated fat loss. Was this due to overall cal deficient or another mechanism? Fuck knows. But it can't hurt to try it and see how it works for you

Kyguy89 and jrichards30 like this.
  9. Kyguy89

Kyguy89 Full Member

Cool thanks for the info

10. massnutrition

massnutrition

I will follow it! Thanks

11. Reacher

Reacher Top Contributor

it's down to calories, IF is just another method of controlling or limiting calories.

find your own baseline amount, break down your protein reqs from that.
    Fat and carbs within the remaining cals split however you prefer ie carbs > fats or fats >carbs, your own preference
    you can use carbs around your workouts if this suits but I've messed around with carbs all day, carbs pre w, carbs post w, backloading etc...
    and honestly made little to no difference to me.

stay slightly under your cal reqs in a deficit and adjust as you go.
    boring and not very sexy but that's it imo.
    once you get to a point then things become a bit trickier but the initial basics will get you in a decent condition.

oh yeah and be consistent, like very.

TITO, Kyguy89, pooley1810 and 2 others like this.
  12. PaulAnderson

PaulAnderson Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    I'd say it also depends on how much you need to lose.

The leaner you are, the harder it will be to get leaner, and the more you'd need to consider the finer details.

If you're double figure bodyfat, I'd say you can get pretty far with just a calorie deficit and increasing your NEAT/Activity level.

Personally I think strategies like carb cycling, low carb, keto are counterproductive at higher bodyfat percentages. You want to save them for when things get really hard. I don't even really rate cardio that highly until you really start to struggle.

13. Reacher

Reacher Top Contributor

absolutely this,
    like I mentioned above things get trickier once you get to a point,
    so best to keep as many tools in the bag ready to bring out when needed.
    usually not at 20% bf though :)

jayks, Kyguy89, Ash1981 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ash1981

Ash1981 Gym Rat Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Lol simple but great advice that

Until your 10/12% all your body wants to do is get rid of the fat build up. Is when it starts getting uncomfortably lean that it will want to stop burning fat stores abs look for muscle tissue

As I’ve said you could cut natty up to a point and not lose tissue unless your a bell end

jrichards30, Reacher and Kyguy89 like this.
  15. Chris GW

Chris GW Full Member

It's cliche, but the best diet is one that you can stick to. You've got to be realistic. It's all well and good planning a brutally restrictive, boring as fuck diet plan at a time when you're full-up and being hungry isn't a concern. But if you're just going to cave-in after a few days and binge, then it's just a waste of time and you'll go round in circles achieving nothing.

Be honest with yourself, don't aim for absolute perfection and don't set yourself up to fail. Just aim for a modest deficit, for example -250kcal from your daily diet and look to do half hour of cardio a few times a week. This should be fairly easy to stick to and will be a good starting point - without being overly restrictive. You can even cut the 250kcal from little changes like less sauce on meals, less cooking oil or calorie free cooking sprays. You'd be surprised how easy it is to knock off residual calories that you're probably not even accounting for.

Failing this, smash some DNP, eat a load of sibutramine and deal with Ethiopian poverty macros...