Best Rep Range For Leg Mass?

Asrar

Top Contributor
I wanted to ask, what rep range is the best to pack on size. I have been stuck on a plateu on my squats. I want to gain mass. Would higher reps 8-12 reps be best or lower 6-8.

I know this questions sounds generic and everyone has a different structure.

I wanted to ask, what rep range is the best to pack on size. I have been stuck on a plateu on my squats. I want to gain mass. Would higher reps 8-12 reps be best or lower 6-8.

Depends mate... I know a fair few BB'ers advocate high reps on leg.... ie 12+ reps

But you never see powerlifters with small legs.... they probably work between 1-5 reps...

Depends mate... I know a fair few BB'ers advocate high reps on leg.... ie 12+ reps

But you never see powerlifters with small legs.... they probably work between 1-5 reps...
I like lifting heavy but I also enjoy higher reps. I enjoy the pump and I do feel when the weight is lighter I can focus on the muscle more rather than going through motions but I understand heavy weights has its place as well.

Personally, I've always found that I've grown out of my trousers in the first 4 weeks of the 12 week periodised 'blocks' I use towards either a competition or a one-rep max test. I have a nightmare buying trousers at the best of times.

In those weeks I'm doing 4 sets of 8 to 5 sets of 6, and have just switched from Olympic-style squats to low-bar, wider stance with toes out slightly.

This is also when I would introduce SARMs after a clear-out, though, so it could be a combination of things.

Everyone is different, however, as you say.

In my opinion a mixture.

I don't like to go below 10 for legs.

I have sessions were everything is 10-14 then some are 20 ish.

Only time I use 8 Reps is if trying to overload in a safe environment like using bands etc or the second part of a superset

I have stick legs. I have started training them 3 times a week. Just squats.

Last week
Mon 5 x 5 100kg
Wed 3 x 3 130kg
Fri 3 x 10 (fast) 50kg

Yes light weights at the moment but adding more each week like Stronglifts 5 x 5.

Only been a week though so cant say how it will work out. Will change if no gains are made.

So im using a mix of rep ranges.

get in do the rep get out

maximal growth and intensity

plus a really short workout

piss taking aside.... just mix it up - so many ways to skin a cat .... have some different workouts - concentrate maybe on 1 rep range for a while...... mix up reps within a workout....... use drop sets..... don't think there is any ideal...the 6 to 20 is spot on.....

just make sure you are able to progress

Over the past 4 and a half months I have taken my squat from 150 x 3 to 177.5 for 5 last session .

I have done this by squatting twice a week once working up-to a 3 - 5 rep Max weight set then knocking 20kg off and doing another 3 sets in the same two range.
The second session is a higher volume session 5 x 10 squats etc

Only managed to add 3/4 of an inch to my legs thought whilst trying to bulk

Perhaps a higher two range would of induced more muscle hypertrophy with less strength gain but then it could also be the fact I have a very slight frame and average 30k+ steps a day, combined with working nights and sleeping poorly...

Everyone is different and it's comes down to simple trial and error

I've found my legs best respond to more volume 15-20 rep sets

Also these days I tend to pre-exhaust my legs (extensions/lunges) before hitting compounds.

Doing this helps avoid injury as you get older + saves me unloading 30 plates off the leg press

I work in a very low rep range with heavy weights and my quads are probably pushing close to 29 or 30" when on cycle (I'll measure them in 8 weeks).

A lot is down to genetics and response to stimuli IMO.

Best of both worlds.

Start heavy in 5-8 rep range
Either drop sets or another movement for 15-20.

Many ways to work sets, but I've been enjoying rest pausing, especially on the higher rep stuff

Back