Bicep Curl Grip?

Discussion in 'Training Information' started by wristisfrogs, Jan 10, 2021.

1. wristisfrogs

wristisfrogs Full Member

So greg suggests you start with an inside grip like you are going to do a row and then turn the weight to a outside grip like you would on a typical bicep grip as you lift and he claims its a tad bit more effective than just doing outside grip the entire time. Any thoughts on this? It does feel slightly more effective but I mean how do you really know lol could just be lactic acid making it "burn", a tad more. This was the only claim he made on any of his specific exercises I hadn't heard before, been doing this for a couple months just don't know if it's really making anything happen better than just regular grip.

2. flash

flash Top Contributor

Greg the hammer valentine?

3. Sjundea

Sjundea Top Contributor

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but can you please stop referencing Greg. You'll notice not many of us like him, maybe because we are all in UK and a lot more introverted/less egotistical than generally Americans/Canadians (note I said generally) . His personality doesn't sit well.
    To answer your question, everyone's leverages are different. Don't just do what some guy online says, find what works for you.

4. godsgifttoearth

godsgifttoearth Full Member

the logic is that the short head of the biceps is also partly and weakly responsible for supinating the wrist. so people hypothesis that by doing rotating curls the short head gets more recruited.

for me, i just end up feeling it more in my brachialis, brachioradialius and long head of the biceps. if i hold an already supinated grip and focus on keep it supinated, i feel it much more in my biceps as a whole.

typically you get a stretch reflex against a lengthened muscle, so which ever muscles are most stretched at any point, will be the first to recruit and generally stay recruited. so if you are pronated at the bottom you won't be loading your short head of the biceps much, so if you have a shit mind muscle connection with your biceps, they might not preferentially fire as much as they otherwise could.

curls are one of the few exercises where i generally think that most people need to find what works best for them, there's not really a "best" option.

5. Big Balls

Big Balls Full Member

Fuck sake.. Curl with an ez Bar or straight Bar. All this in inner, outer head bollox.
    Sure with dumbbells you can Twist but will it really make much difference?. Maybe do a few Sets off Hammer curls basta.
    Knew a guy who did loads of shit like Zottman curls still had shit biceps & forearms.

6. Penguin'sreturn

Penguin'sreturn Full Member

FWIW I'm not one for watching loads of YT vids exactly because we are all different but I do recall seeing Mike O'Hearn perform bicep curls, was with a barbell and he said just to load up the weight with decent form, take a strong grip (none of the loose fingertip nonsense, keep thumbs tightly gripped) and he said this is the ticket to size.

Again we are all different but your obsession with Doucette is getting out of hand, O'Hearn pisses all over him physique wise and one thing I have noticed is that the vast majority of huge guys, from Pro to average Joe, tend to curl the way O'Hearn does.

A curl is a curl. Yes we can switch angles here and there and you may do better with dumbbells rather than a barbell etc but the message was just curl the damn weight.

wristisfrogs, Sjundea and Greedy Ben like this.
  7. Big Balls

Big Balls Full Member

You seem like a good bloke but don't over think it.

8. Greedy Ben

Greedy Ben Top Contributor

I reckon this guy is definitely Greg Doucettes dad.

Mr mac and Sjundea like this.
  9. Sjundea

Sjundea Top Contributor

Hahaha uncanny.

Proteinbrah and Greedy Ben like this.
  10. Proteinbrah

Proteinbrah Top Contributor

Greg is a douche bro

Sjundea likes this.
  11. wristisfrogs

wristisfrogs Full Member

Yup I gotcha, I guess the theory like gods said is to target the shorthead more-so. But like you said we are all different and guys seem to just either have the towering short head or not.

It's not really an obsession with greg, it's more so a lot of fitness personality don't even open up on their training because then it will lead to criticisms due to a massive spectrum of opinions. Then a massive spectrum of studies [mostly on untrained men I should add] that they can use to confirm their bias on whatever training they personally feel is the "best".

Really getting an attitude that I've felt on these forums [and I'm agreeing with] that I really don't care what a study says unless there are 200 studies saying the same thing and it can not be denied. Also people can use a "causation means confirmation", bias argument armed by say a study that says "5 sets a week is better than 3", so then they can infer that 50 sets a week is better than less like a nuclei overload type argument which would be a strawman argument not backed by what the study actually finds.

I'm just going to take what I've learned here and do it, and stop asking questions.

12. noel

noel Moderator

you are burying yourself in minutia. this creates a ton of cortisol as your stressing soooo much over details.. high cortisol is detrimental to muscle growth

if you put 1/10th of this passion into your training and eating you would see far greater results.

plenty have been there and done it

...for example when you curl can you do so injury free/pain free and fry your biceps
    are you able to generally increase load and reps over time
    are you giving yourself enough food to constantly grow without getting fat

Penguin'sreturn and Greedy Ben like this.