1. While members here are knowledgeable, they are not doctors and are not able to diagnose or recommend treatment for medical conditions. Please consult a health care professional rather than risk your health.

Blood Test Newbie

Discussion in 'Injuries, Health & Personal Care' started by Raisin, Jul 17, 2017 at 9:56 AM.

1. Raisin

Raisin Full Member

Never had blood tests done before (at the doctors for illness but not steroid related)

Is there any point doing a test mid cycle? Or do you have to have a test done while you're 'off' so you have something to compare result too?

Complete newbie to the blood test scene but now its affordable it seems a good idea to check everything is ok.

Thanks for any input.

2. mal

mal Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    yes mate to check if your gears anygood lol...check e2 levels prolactin etc....basicly a hormone test.
    im glad I did anyway my e2 was through the roof..and some of my test was fake

3. Raisin

Raisin Full Member

How do you use for your blood tests? And is there a certain test/ package i should choose?

Thank you

4. mal

mal Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    medichecks...just look through all there test packages and pick one you fancy,cost etc...sports hormone is a good one

Raisin likes this.
  5. Raisin

Raisin Full Member

Ordered my kit and arranged with my mates mum who's a nurse to take my blood. Not a fan of blood tests.

Did you disclose to Medichecks you're on cycle? Or do you keep that bit quiet?

6. mal

mal Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    there's no need with them mate,there tests are for people on gear or hrt anyway...so no worry's,what test did you order?

7. Raisin

Raisin Full Member

Sports hormone check. I'll have to post the outcome on here as i wont know what any of it means ha ha

8. noel

noel Top Contributor

ideal scenario is off gear to get a baseline.........

of course ON cycle many levels will be screwed or raised BUT imo never a bad time

compare again when off........ do another test.....

should see many of the raised levels come back in line ..........but you never really known what your normal is so to speak.

argument for waiting until off (ie test when not using - but could still have some markers out anyway).....

more you test the more youll be able to spot trends and potential issues . Just my 2ps worth

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 4:53 AM
    Matty1, Raisin and huntingground like this.
  9. Raisin

Raisin Full Member

Agree would have made sense to test while off to see what my levels are as 'normal' but tests were readily available back in the old days ha ha.

£89 is very affordable to im going to test now to see if anything needs sorting. And i'll test again when im off. Although im never off now (age, dont want kids etc) but a test while on a TRT dose will show me if things are ok.

Thats the main thing now, checking everything is ok and nothing is off the scale and causing me harm without me knowing.

No doubt i'll be back with questions regarding the levels of everything. Or is there a sticky about test result levels? If not maybe someone with the knowledge could make one. JJ? HAHAHAHA

10. Con

Con Moderator

Levels that can be elevated due to the bodybuilding life style but as long as only slightly over normal it's normally fine; BUN, creatinine, AST, ALT, RBC, hemoglobin.
    To reduce the first 4 prior a blood test don't weight train for 5 days, lower protein and keep very hydrated.
    The final two can be reduced by donating blood.
    If the final two are elevated action should be taken, if the first 4 are elevated then it's normally a sign of high muscle mass, hard training and a high protein intake.
    Also iron may be elevated and donating blood is how you get that down along with taking an iron chelater such as IP6.

If other markers are high then further investigation is usually warranted.
    You can expect a regular doctor to say things like "kidney failure" and "liver damage" if the first 4 are elevated but this is nearly always not true.

What you really should keep an eye on is blood pressure.
    Consistent readings over 135/85 warrants action in the form of adding cardio, decreasing fat, improving diet and if those don't work a blood pressure medication is the best course of action.
    You can first try drinking hibiscus tea on a daily basis (3 servings per day) as this has a natural ace inhibitor in it (blood pressure reducing drug).

Raisin, noel, Max and 3 others like this.