"bodybuilder"

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Paolo Cobelli, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Paolo Cobelli

Paolo Cobelli Full Member

Alright fellas, been a while since i'v been online. Heres a thought provoking question away form talking about our doomed inevitability at war, that's always bothered me a little.

At what stage in your body building hobby or life style do you thinks it's acceptable to call your self a bodybuilder?
    I'v always wondered this. Obviously there's no right or wrong answer and ultimately it's down to opinion. But what do you think? Where's the bench mark? Is there a bench mark?

Is it a weight thing? If so how heavy?
    Is it just a case that as soon as you can stick to a full time diet and training plan your a bodybuilder?
    Is that stasis only earned after you compete?
    Is it when you started steroids?
    Maybe it's simply when others see you as a bodybuilder.

A guy who used to train at my gym used to call him self a bodybuilder. And that's fine, but I thought, visually he was no were near that status. Although he lived the full time bodybuilder life. Diet, training, gear, the whole thing. But he must of had shit genetics and just didn't look that good or that big.

For me, I'v always been my biggest sceptic. I class my self bodybuilding but I don't class my self as a bodybuilder yet. I'm not sure when or even if I'll get to a point we're, in my head I'm big enough to be a "bodybuilder' but I think I'll get a lot closer if not reach that status after my first show.

2. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Top Contributor

Someone who competes for me personally, if tbey dont compete there just a regular gym goer, might look very good but wouldnt class them as a bodybuilder

i wouldnt class somone as a footballer who plays in the park with his mates

3. Rob O’tren

Rob O’tren Full Member

The more gear you take.

Paolo Cobelli likes this.
  4. Rob O’tren

Rob O’tren Full Member

5. Sjundea

Sjundea Moderator

Agree with Richie.
    If you compete you're a bodybuilder, if you live the life but don't compete you're a hobbybuilder imo.
    Like someone who does PL training. You're not a powerlifter but instead train like a powerlifter.

6. pukka

pukka Full Member

With all that hyper-toxic Androxine, Pharma aas and hgh you’re running, you must be a pro bb then brah??

GhostOf2Can likes this.
  7. Leej

Leej Full Member

I look at it as your bodybuilding so everyone that lifts must be but you have professional bodybuilders that's the way I see it

Big Balls likes this.
  8. Jayne Scott

Jayne Scott Full Member

Thought provoking question this. I know a few gym goers and part-time steroid users that think that qualifies them as bodybuilders. I also know some fitness & nutrition gurus that class themselves as bodybuilders. It's subjective AF, but IMO bodybuilding encompasses everything - nutrition, fitness, weight training, PED, suppls, and so on. You could be IFBB level or just a regular enthusiastic Joe and still be classified as a bodybuilder if you know what your bodybuilding goals are and you're working towards them.

Paolo Cobelli likes this.
  9. Richard Dick

Richard Dick Top Contributor

I agree with the previous posts that competing is what classes you as a bodybuilder, not size or condition.

Sjundea and GolfDelta like this.
  10. GhostOf2Can

GhostOf2Can Top Contributor

I dunno really. I think if you train specifically to build muscle and you’ve done it past the stage of what is ordinary I think you could class yourself as a bodybuilder. That is in fact what you are doing

Powerlifters or strongmen would have to compete to call themselves that though imo.
    I train that style of training but as I don’t compete (done a couple years ago) I just say I like to train heavy sometimes I wouldn’t feel comfortable calling myself a PL’er

pukka likes this.
  11. pukka

pukka Full Member

And yet there are some who compete clearly because their mum told them they look massive and others who’ve not set a foot onstage and yet would easily place in the top six on a National stage.

Simon90 likes this.
  12. pukka

pukka Full Member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  13. Richard Dick

Richard Dick Top Contributor

Totally, but that's the distinction for me personally. Same as there's strong cunts that would easily place for their weight in powerlifting meets but they don't compete so they're not really powerlifters. Just how I see it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    Sjundea and GolfDelta like this.
  14. pukka

pukka Full Member

It really is that simple imo.
    If you train to ‘build your body’ you can claim to be a bodybuilder irrespective of your level of development

15. pukka

pukka Full Member

I think it’s different when it comes to specifically building tissue as I said above.