Bodybuilding Has Lied To You

Discussion in 'Articles' started by TinyTim, Apr 3, 2015.

1. TinyTim

TinyTim Timothy Sprague-Dawley Top Contributor

Lol.

zack likes this.
  2. mal

mal Top Contributor

[QUOTE="Righty, post: 681120, member: 5272

Shut up and go eat a cheeseburger.

but I’m telling you it’s pointless macho bull****. There are easier ways.

Ways like pizza.

If you want a solid plan to grow without turning into a total fatass, a strategy to which I can relate, then set your daily calorie intake to around 18 times your body weight in pounds as a starting point. Set protein to at least 1 gram per lb first. Put carbs at maybe 2-2.5 times body weight, depending on your preference, and then make up the remainder from fat. The actual type of food doesn’t matter so much; if you can fit in cheeseburgers, fit them in. Cheeseburgers want to be eaten. Just remember that the numbers come first.

whats a cheeseburger/small pizza though 500 700 cals I wouldn't know tbh.....make your own gainer shake from whey
    whole milk oats whatever and thats over 1k ? better for muscles.

Viktor and TinyTim like this.
  3. Antique Banzi

Antique Banzi 200 cals over maintenance Top Contributor

IIFMM says no.

rick89, zack, Aztekk and 2 others like this.
  4. Antique Banzi

Antique Banzi 200 cals over maintenance Top Contributor

I cant remember what I trained on Thursday, its because it doesn't matter to me
    1RM whats the fucking point.

5. Beast

Beast Top Contributor

Been saying the same stuff for years, very few ever listen. It seems that the glossy ads and training articles hold the key to EASY success for many, that combined with BS they hear in gyms. It's ironic that the actual thought process for building strength and size is very easy but the physical application of that thought process is actually very HARD. If you can't take the pain and hardship, you won't perform the basic lifts that make gaining strength and size easy. Drugs, supps and fancy diet is no substitute for physical brutality combined with a strong mind to overcome the hurdle of that next few kilos.

huntingground and mal like this.
  6. mal

mal Top Contributor

true that,but everyone ive known who put 100% into diet were always the better trainers and went
    the furthest in the sport,it all goes hand in hand,remember if you pile in burger and icecream ed that's
    prob the equivalent of 200g plus of extra 1st class protein your not drinking or eating...robing youself
    from longer term goals.

7. Heath

Heath Full Member

Then we are getting into how much protein is needed and are you just piling in expensive energy ;)

Porky and Aztekk like this.
  8. Con

Con Moderator

It's all common sense with a little bit of science thrown in.
    If you're getting stronger and bigger it's working if you're not .... well its not working!

One of my training partners is a veteran big ass bodybuilder.
    His arms have always lagged a little compared to upper body.
    Once per week he does an arms day.
    Tons of reps and volume....pumps the shit out of them.
    Arms stay the same size.
    "Con my arms aren't going to grow any more!" says he to which I say "so why waste 45 minutes each week pumping them up. Stop training them they will grow more" this is met with a shaking of his head and more pumping lmao!

I on the other hand have some pretty big arms at 19 inches cold (don't get me wrong they don't look overly big due to their length but they tape well!).
    What do I do for arms? Honestly, usually nothing. Now and again I will do some machine preacher curls. For triceps the only thing I ever do is weighted dips. This is due to inflamed elbows that kill me if I do any shit like push downs.

How progressively strong can one truly get on biceps?
    I have curled 135lb for 15 pretty strict reps before but I couldn't build that up to lets say 185lb.....just never going to happen!

rick89, Pscarb, hsmann87 and 3 others like this.
  9. mal

mal Top Contributor

if your muscle doesn't grow,then its either better nutrition ,timings ect or you reached your genetic
    limit on that muscle,you can still get around that easy if you have a fat wallet.
    I bet if that big dude stopped training his oversized muscles for 6 weeks and only trained arms
    with an unlimited bugjet on goodies his arms would catch up quick,but not many people have the mindset to
    train in such a manner lol.

10. doink

doink Top Contributor

Progression is where most fall down.

I.e there isn't any.

Keep progression in your routine and you'll keep...... Er....progressing.

If you're progressing in weights and reps week in week and you're testing yourself with the weights and reps used, then chances are you're getting stronger and bigger.

Remove progression and you halt progress.

So whatever you do, ensure its there and you can't fail.

TinyTim and Dig like this.
  11. mal

mal Top Contributor

its not though really these days,i got 5 kilo of whey from mp for 33quid the other day,now I could have bought
    15 kilo of the stuff,a scoop is like 20-30 p a pop plus an extra portion of beef mince,thats pretty cheap.
    under 3 quid maybe...got an easter egg earlier for the misses 7 quid ffs,bag of sugars only 60 pence lol.

rick89 likes this.
  12. Don

Don Full Member

don´t keep a log myself but i did at one time but mainly for my nutrition. i remember some years ago talking to Bill Pearl and he did say you should log it all..Top Man

13. ste McGrath

ste McGrath Myprotein Rep

I like TUT and thats how I train now. I train lighter and focus on contractions and ive grown more in the past year than the past 2-3 years combined.

HOWEVER, I do think I can only get away with this because I spent a large portion of my american football career building a base of strength which included benching 160kg for reps and squatting 220kg for reps. I rarely squat over 4 plates now due to joints from impact injuries and i rarely bench over 3 plates. I think everyone starting out should just get as strong as possible, and then start using relatively heavy weight for slow eccentric, controlled reps for growth.

I highly doubt though, especially the younger people i see joining the gym today, have the patience to put the years in strength training to get to a level where they can use more of a "traditional bodybuilding" routine for growth.

Another thing I found from converting from sport to bodybuilding is I thought my nutrition was pretty good (and i did study some biochem as part of my biomechanics degree so I wasn't a complete layman) but BOY was i wrong with what your nutrition has to be like to get the improvements i was looking for.

zack likes this.
  14. Gifford chilford

Gifford chilford Top Contributor

And arnold said logs are for part time sissys, imagine the austrian voice saying it, youd never use a log again

jtf1 and JonnyBoy like this.
  15. Beast

Beast Top Contributor

Correct from a bb point of view yes but if were talking about a young guy starting out in any discipline whether it be bb, pl, strongman or Olympic, a basic diet is suffice. It's what happens in the gym that counts at the end of the day, nothing else will make you bigger and stronger.
    Going back to when i started out, i mastered the compound lifts, got stronger and ate very basic only when hungry. My progress was rapid, not because i thought i better eat more food and increase protein but because my train of thought was, next week i'll add another few pounds to that bar!

mal likes this.