Bodybuilding Has Lied To You

Discussion in 'Articles' started by TinyTim, Apr 3, 2015.

1. CS86

CS86 Top Contributor

I've noticed that in recent weeks on this forum, what with @Righty's FT log (before I start I'm not criticising - reading Righty's journal inspired me to take up FT myself and so far I'm really enjoying it) @Nytol's journal, the 'Cycling for Pennies' refresher, @doink's log etc etc...low-volume 'beat the logbook' style training is having a big resurgence

Let's not get carried away guys!

The principlesof progressive low volume training are very sound and make perfect sense. But as cliched as it sounds there's more than one way to skin a cat, and PLENTY of trainers - genetically average too - have found success over the decades following bbing split routines...high volume...pumpy stuff...etc

We all know this. So let's not get too dismissive and be sneering at all other forms of training, guys

Scott Stevenson, zack and Jamie555 like this.
  2. Don

Don Full Member

yes...yes... Arnold who was run out of Vince´s Gym

Reacher and TinyTim like this.
  3. Con

Con Moderator

Ok couple points.
    Ft is not low volume its just volume spread out over several days.
    Have you EVER seen a genetically average man grow NATURALLY from doing pump work?
    I have never seen it....a couple of black guys sure but funny thing is those guys are naturally strong to start with so their pump stuff still uses heavy weight.
    If you start off with pump stuff and all you can lift is 135lb on the bench and you just focus on the pump how big do you honestly think you can get?
    I am a fan of high reps (lots of guys aren't but I am!) the again when I am lets say inclining the 130lb dumb bells for 15 reps.....am I "pumping" or am I just using a heavy ass weight for lots of reps?:D

JANIKvonD, Aztekk, Porky and 5 others like this.
  4. Dig

Dig Mod & Powerlifting Expert Moderator

Didnt have you specifically in mind when wrote it mate no :)

Ash1981 likes this.
  5. Don

Don Full Member

i like high reps on my squats , front squats... i am so old school i still do Barbell Hack squats. Still think pre-exhaust is of use to muscle growth. For older trainers saves your old bones..:thumb:

JANIKvonD, smartin, Reacher and 2 others like this.
  6. CS86

CS86 Top Contributor

I guess it depends what volume tier you use but personally I would class FT as low volume, high frequency...'volume spread out over several days' to me means high frequency...in terms of the number of working sets for each bodypart I'd say volume is low

When I speak of high volume, pumpy stuff etc of course I expect there to be progression! High vol high rep stuff doesn't necessarily equate to stagnant training does it Con...or 'light' (as you yourself have demonstrated)

I felt the article...and a lot of comments afterwards...have been a sort of call to arms for the 'all-out, one working set' and a 'beat the logbook at all times' mentality

I'm a fan of this type of training myself.

But also can't help but feel that thè board is being fickle in some respects.

Con likes this.
  7. Con

Con Moderator

Volume stuff works very well for me also.
    The general theme is hard work and that comes in many shapes and forms.
    Then again growing muscle is not very hard for me it never has been if I put my mind to it.
    I have never had a training partner that could keep up with me day in day out (not saying my method is smart just saying I can handle more than most others).
    I had one training partner for 2 years.
    He made huge gains but he also tore many muscles and even broke his collar bone while doing heavy declines.
    So obviously doing my exact routine was over kill for him.

Porky, zack, Max Cooper and 1 other person like this.
  8. Don

Don Full Member

yes muscle can be built in many ways.. how the hell did he do that on the Declines was the weight too much or just a lapse in form ? Declines are a shorter movement than flat bench but really hit the whole chest, not just "lower" pecs. Indeed the overall stimules to the whole chest has been proved in studies.

TinyTim likes this.
  9. Jamie555

Jamie555 Moderator Moderator

I too find higher volume works better for me, however doing one style only will not deliver optimum gains. That comes from constantly challenging the body and not just through altering load.

I agree with some of the sentiments expressed in the thread, not about keeping it simple, but taking care of the most effective bits of one's lifestyle first before moving onto the more complicated or nuanced stuff.

J

Reacher and CS86 like this.
  10. Dig

Dig Mod & Powerlifting Expert Moderator

Seems it's more a case of people sharing their positive experiences using such a method. The people ive seen posting about it arent guys getting hung up on a new fad, most have trained like this for years and years so hardly fickle.....

doink and TinyTim like this.
  11. CS86

CS86 Top Contributor

Point taken mate...funny you should say that I was thinking yourself and Nytol have followed your styles pf training for a long time so 'fickle' not the right word in your cases...

Dismissive of other types of training to a degree, though?

Dig likes this.
  12. Don

Don Full Member

like the old saying goes, "if it aint broke why fix it" ? I work in a Gym and i show more old school training but also joint freindly training. i can´t tell you how many Hard gainers i get who are young guys looking to get big. Well we all did as kids.. I put them on a programme ala Brawn with short basic routines.

TinyTim and Dig like this.
  13. TinyTim

TinyTim Timothy Sprague-Dawley Top Contributor

Hang on.
    What about arms day?
    And rear delts day?
    :D

zack likes this.
  14. Don

Don Full Member

:D

TinyTim likes this.
  15. CS86

CS86 Top Contributor

The article mocks the concept of 'shocking the body'...

Yet Scott Stevenson embraces the principle, based his FT program on it (hence the varying rep ranges and vast exercise selection) just as you say believes there are different ways of inducing hypertrophy beyond load increases...

I do agree with some of the principles in the article don't get me wrong but some of it was a bit too chest-thumpingly alpha for me...

'Keep it simple,stupid' works well for many people but it turned into a bit of a bitchfest at times. Would have made Lee Priest laugh, for sure

Scott Stevenson likes this.