Bodybuilding Has Lied To You

Discussion in 'Articles' started by TinyTim, Apr 3, 2015.

1. TinyTim

TinyTim Timothy Sprague-Dawley Top Contributor

It's an article giving an opinion, not a blueprint of perfection.
    If it is going to cause sleepness nights, there's a problem - the website doesn't even exist any more to complain to. :D

2. Heath

Heath Full Member

Reminds me of something ironaddict would have wrote tbf

3. Con

Con Moderator

He had broken it years ago in a motorcross accident.
    We were working with 455lb that day and it was cold in the gym (I find injuries happen more often in the cold).
    Second rep it went and I had to take it from him (wasn't easy lol).
    A few bolts and screws later and he was good again but that put him out for 3 months.

TinyTim likes this.
  4. Dig

Dig Mod & Powerlifting Expert Moderator

Dismissive to a degree would be fair id say especially for those starting out training. When get that experience then fill your boots re training styles.

My main gripe with high volume is that many people use it dont work hard enough to gain and then complain, see it time and time again. They think doing 10 sets makes up for them being half arsed or using pec dec instead of pressing. When get stronger and have enough intensity (which also needs to be trained which beating the logbook does) then sure it seems lots of people go the high volume route successfully for one reason or another.

rick89, hsmann87, Maccer and 2 others like this.
  5. Don

Don Full Member

exactly.. I like V Gironda but i do not agree with all his opinions. You just have to keep an open mind and take what you like from each way of training. nothing is carved in stone.

TinyTim and Tommy6 like this.
  6. TinyTim

TinyTim Timothy Sprague-Dawley Top Contributor

Did Gironda dips the other week.
    Brutal.
    Love his sissy squat variation, too.

7. Don

Don Full Member

Glad to hear he got better.. heavy weight too(for me). Good choice of exercise because i would have done Decline press aswell if i had,had a previous injury like your friend.

Con likes this.
  8. Don

Don Full Member

Dips done Gironda style are very effective. Being honest sissy squats i don´t like. Barbell hacks and Leaning back Power leg extensions. really hit the upper quad area. the sartorius muscle.

TinyTim likes this.
  9. CS86

CS86 Top Contributor

Lol this is what I'm saying bud!

Keep an open mind, find what works for you etc

I thought the writer of the article was quite closed-minded so I was surprised the article received such a positive response given how open-minded the forum is

@Righty I'm letting off steam after a bitch of a 12 hr shift mate...we can't let banzi have all the fun in the member of the month thread ;)

TinyTim likes this.
  10. Don

Don Full Member

well i am new here so i don´t know anyone but i will read into posts in the next few Days...;)

zack and CS86 like this.
  11. Nytol

Nytol Competitor

I consider that to be an idiotic and detrimental thing to say.

Don't get carried away trying to save people wasting years of their life, or even worse giving up completely?

Oh no, that would be terrible(!)

Please show me these genetically average trainers who have made great progress on pump routines?

They don't exist.

Do you have pictures or videos of your progress using these methods?

hsmann87 likes this.
  12. Tommy6

Tommy6 Top Contributor

I like gironda swings as a shoulder finisher.

Some good discussions lately :)

13. Nytol

Nytol Competitor

Yeah, I'm sure, one of the most genetically gifted people to ever walk the planet.

An open mind is one thing, but it does not mean all things are equally valid.

I shall stop reading and writing now, as your nonsensical attitude is giving me the hump.

14. TheProducer

TheProducer Top Contributor

I agree in the fact that most beginners will need to create and develop some kind of foundation of strength. Even looking at the top bodybuilders they are all extremely strong and would have at some point really pushed for strength. Even Tom in The Prep mentioned that he had done heavy training in the past but has moved on to the lighter stuff due to injuries etc. Chasing a pump is far easier (especially for new gym goers) that pushing the poundage. Kai greene makes the analogy in his rage speech about "you;re gonna be a mean mother fucker squatting 800lbs". Mentally its not where most newbies can go or are even at. A lot just seem to be excited to have joined the gym and moving through different movement patterns (I know that was me back in the day thinking about it).

The whole shock thing, imo, is more to do with the neurological changes that will occur. Truly want to shock your muscles, walk past a mirror and go BOO! Its the constant repetition of a movement/exercise that will get you better at it and aid in the development of muscle. Your muscle will only ever know tension and stress placed on it and thats it. TUT and rep tempo can make a difference, however like Dig mentioned above, added in another set or another rep will increase the time the muscle is under tension. Is it necessary to incorporate 4 second negatives etc? Not something I could answer.

Makes for an interesting read and pretty much highlights the typical commercial gym. I also think the gym that an individual goes too will also have an influencing factor on the intensity they will push too (talking general population here) as you rarely see the average gym member pushing much harder than the person near them. Go to any commercial gym and youll see great examples of this. Now go to a hardcore gym and you will see people pushing harder and harder. I would imagine going to a strength based gym or powerlifting dominated gym everyone will be pushing to be as strong as possible because that is the culture that is bred. Lets be honest, you dont want to be the crossfit wanker doing kipping burpee pull up back flips whilst monsters are repping 400kg squats haha.

Best thing I heard from a mate (and i think Wendler said it) "you wouldnt go to a Michelin star restaurant and cook your own meal, so why do the same with your training". I wish I found guidance sooner or had someone take me under their wing and showed me the ropes. Only been the last 18months that I have really developed my knowledge and training to a point that has seen me actually develop and grow muscle. Learning/learnt a lot from Hilly/JP, people I work with and respect, listening to the likes of tate/meadows/stevenson/wendler etc.

Kinda waffled and probs went off topic but fuck it. :lol:

15. CS86

CS86 Top Contributor

@Nytol

I read your log...one of the best logs on here. Different, thought-provoking, I like your posts.

You're like the @Prodiver of training though (just for the record, Prodiver is one of my favourite members by a country mile)

Your way or the highway.

Prodiver frequently says we're not 'all different'...we actually are all very similar...and so we should all eat a certain way for best results. He gets absolutely derided for this 'we're all similar and will respond in a similar way' principle. You seem to apply the same principle to training though and everyone agrees? Fickle board...;)

I'm not saying your training wouldn't work for me. I've never tried your style of training.

I also never said I've made great progress on pump routines so pics/vids aren't necessary to back up an assertion I never made.

Ah the 'but you're not Lee Priest' genetics argument. Very true. But same could be said of ANY training style though couldn't it?

Yates...balls to the wall one working set per exercise...he responded very well to this. Freaky genetics of a 6 time Mr Olympia though. Should we all train this way?

There's merits to various types of training mate if they're done correctly and the individual responds well.

A closed-minded, 'one size fits all', my-way-is-best-for-everyone training style doesn't exist...otherwise Priest and Yates would have trained the same.

Prodiver likes this.