Bodybuilding Has Lied To You

Discussion in 'Articles' started by TinyTim, Apr 3, 2015.

1. LittleChris

LittleChris Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Like yours but with muscle.

JANIKvonD, doink, zack and 3 others like this.

2. Nytol

Nytol Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Nice, apart from that tempo crap :D

I genuinely beat PB's every session for years, but I kept the PB's very achievable.

Most in gyms don't even use the small plates, let alone consider an extra rep a PB, even though it absolutely is.

In my old diaries, I used to put a 'PB' next to everything that was, and the books were full of them.

I think my ex wife destroyed them all, but if I ever come across one I'll take a picture to show.

Keeping progress going, rather than hitting a wall is key, so when upping a weight, do it by the absolutely smallest amount possible, get some fractional plates, add 0.5kg rather than 2.5.

People used to take the piss (in a light hearted way, there were no deaths) about my use of little plates, when they would try to go from 3 plates a side to 4 plates a side on bench and by pass everything in between, mostly low level strongman guys, but while they were still banging their heads against a wall, I'd be adding my 2kg here and there, and progressing each week, eventually surpassing them at a much lighter bodyweight.

I think writing out plans in advance with reps is also useful and something I used to do.

Starting with a weight you know you can get say 8-9 reps with, do 5, then the next week 6, etc, or what ever range you prefer.

Trying to keep your bodies adaptation one step ahead of the weight increases.

Psychologically it is great to hit PB's each session and installs a logical progressive mentallity that most don't have.

Off subject but somewhere in this thread it was quoted that "the muscle doesn't know what weight it is lifting".

Of course it does!

If you are feeling tired, pissed off, etc 50kg may feel heavy, but this is your mind, not your muscles making it feel so.

Do you think that on such a day when 50kg feels like 60kg, that the muscles would get equal stimulation from 40kg, just because this now feels like 50kg?

It is the kind of thing only a genetic freak who can grow from anythung would say, and I think it may have been quoted from Flex Lewis?

And on the subject of Flex, assuming he does do that retarded kind of training, (I'm not sure he does but could find out), where are the scores of others who have grown from it?

I even know of several genetic elites who jumped on the band wagon when it came out, only to drop it soon after as even for them it was shit, I don't have much respect from NH regarding diet or training.

rick89, JANIKvonD, doink and 4 others like this.
  3. Reacher

Reacher Top Contributor

I train for the enjoyment of it, the results are a by product for me.
    Of course there may well be other methods that would / may deliver quicker or better results but if I wasn't enjoying the process I wouldn't do it.
    Pushing out side your comfort zone is enjoyable

Jamie555, DAMO and Nytol like this.
  4. Nytol

Nytol Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    See that is an important distinction.

I know people who train 5 days a week as they like the structure it gives their life, and accept that it is probably not the best way for optimal progress.

I run each morning at a moderate pace, for psychological wellbeing, but it is not the optimal way to run for getting faster, or fitter, if that was my primary goal, but it is not.

5. hsmann87

hsmann87 Top Contributor

@Nytol the reason why I mention tempo is because I see lots of logbook trainers "beating" reps with said weight however they are resting Inbetween reps or altering tempo to enable thEm to move the weight

Largely tempo isnt important as progressive resistance I agree but you do have to take it into account

Eg do a set of ATG squats with a weight such that you will be fucked for hours after. Can do 10 reps and then stop at top, take a few breaths, 5 more then some More breaths then 3 more then 2. Now try and do the same weight with continuous tension for 20 reps a week later - ain't gonna happen!

doink, dee9699 and Nytol like this.
  6. Nytol

Nytol Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    I agree consistency is important, but anyone who is counting the tempo of their reps is not training hard enough :)

Poliquin/T-nation crap.

But I absolutely agree with what you are saying and those who try to make things easier, are only cheating themselves.

JANIKvonD, Dig, Tommy6 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Heath

Heath Full Member

@Nytol do you think 5/3/1 fits your philosophy? It's constant progress with the weights planned out before you even get in the gym so should be hard for most to fuck up lol

dee9699 likes this.
  8. TinyTim

TinyTim Timothy Sprague-Dawley Top Contributor

Second this.

zack likes this.
  9. Dig

Dig Mod & Powerlifting Expert Moderator

I guess it's largely that Matt can back up his methods with proven results in himself and others, whereas Pat has not. If Pat showed a picture looking shit hot or had a massive helping hand in someone else looking so then he'd get far less shit and lots more positive comments/debate.....(regarding the fickleness comment).

Nytol, zack, Con and 1 other person like this.
  10. CS86

CS86 Top Contributor

Good response mate. I like your reasoning.

11. CS86

CS86 Top Contributor

Lmao!

12. CS86

CS86 Top Contributor

I've posted pics in past...won't put up any more for fear of becoming the new @danny187 ;)

I'm nowt spectacular...an above-average gym rat. I have enough muscle to compete in classics and the shape to fare quite well if I got shredded. I have very small joints that probably make me look better than my development deserves.

13. smartin

smartin No im not "don" check my IP. Top Contributor

Totally agree on Nytol.s method and would be best for optimum growth if everything else was in place.

However is it sustainable long term , No! in my eyes.

Tears, repairs , breaks, tendonitis etc etc , play a large role in how experienced trainers choose their workouts, and also the factor that , as mentioned , some people like to be in the gym for an hour.

I never used this method, never knew what I could achieve 1RM on any movement , because it didn't interest me. I did however train damn hard at a rep range of 6-10 at a average 9 sets per body part for years, and was more than happy with the size I packed.

Nowadays , a few operations later , and after being told I had joints of a 70 year old man [ not old Prodiver I know ], I have chose to train this way only every 3rd week to relieve joint stress and further niggling injuries which piss me off greatly.

You can keep the intensity and train smarter with great results just the same.

Reacher likes this.
  14. Con

Con Moderator

Some of us really enjoying going outside of the comfort zone.
    I realize we're not as common as the other type of lifter!
    If I don't train to the point where I feel like some thing bad may happen (puke, pass out, collapse) I feel like I just had a cruise workout!
    Problem is once you have giving your self AFIB, put your self into hospital with excess muscle breakdown, pushed until you had a seizure....then you start realizing that it's not good to push too TOO hard! ;)

Porky and Cyborg like this.
  15. zack

zack TM's resident millionaire entrepreneur. Top Contributor

I once pushed so hard in a workout 2 people died at the next bench srs

Cum at me bro

But srs tho I went super saiyan

JANIKvonD, Heath, doink and 4 others like this.