Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by huntingground, Jun 7, 2018.

1. huntingground

huntingground King Kenny Competitor

Boxer Patrick Day is in an "extremely critical condition" after his defeat by Charles Conwell in Chicago.
    The 27-year-old American is in a coma with "a traumatic brain injury", said his promoter.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Horrible

huntingground likes this.
  3. deano110

deano110 Competitor

Thoughts with Patrick Day, didn't see the fight but apparently it was a brutal knockout and it's unsettling reading the stories this morning.

The Usyk fight didn't really reveal an awful lot, I suppose it depends on what lens you view it from but for me he looked like a boxer who'd had quite a long layoff and wanted to get some rounds under his belt. Round by round his punch output increased and with respect to Witherspoon I think Usyk could have stepped it up at any time and forced a stoppage.

I think the main issue with Usyk at heavyweight is pretty clear to see - his physicality. He weighed in at 215 lbs (15 lbs over the cruiserweight limit) and in the post match interview when asked about his weight he said along the lines of 'we're intending to increase weight but in the right way so we don't sacrifice speed'.

Of course that's the right strategy but the problem is he's the WBO's mandatory challenger so on paper will fight the Joshua Ruiz winner in his next fight, likely giving up a minimum of 35 lbs.

Lastly, on Tyson Fury, it's a farce but I can understand the motivation if they're trying to build his profile in the US. One thing I find funny is his promoter Frank Warren was very quick to criticise the Joshua rematch, specifically taking part in Saudi Arabia, which happens to be the exact place Fury's WWE match will take place:

https://www.boxingscene.com/frank-warren-joshua-ruiz-saudi-arabia-sounds-like-cash-out--141771

4. huntingground

Wilder is 215lb isn't he but he has The Equaliser. Usyk doesn't. I was reading that he treated the fight as a training exercise though, he had been out for almost a year too.

He'll increase the gear and probably go to 225 I reckon, retaining his speed and footwork. He took lots of big bombs off Breidis and Gassiev too so chin should be OK. Obviously different being hit by the SHWs like Joshua. His lack of pop could be a major issue as I could see Joshua walking him down, walking through punches but would Joshua be able to land on the elusive Usyk?

A very exciting addition to the HW scene and I'm intrigued.

Fury/Warren just talk shite as does everyone when there are $$$$$ to be made.

Extremely bad rumours on the web about Patrick Day....

Guest and deano110 like this.
  5. deano110

deano110 Competitor

Yeah Wilder's weight in comparison to his height is very unusual for a heavyweight - but demonstrates how much of an tool his punching power is.

I completely agree with you on Usyk, great addition to the heavyweight division and for his frame he looks like he could push up to 225 lbs comfortably without detriment to his boxing ability. My reservation would just be in regards to the time-frame, if his next fight is for the WBO then it might not be long enough for him to push his weight up (I expected him to come in over 220 lbs for this fight).

I sincerely hope Day pulls through.

huntingground and Guest like this.
  6. huntingground

On the Benn undercard, Scott Harrison is fighting Iain Weaver (who was quality amateur Matchroom signed) but he couldn’t fight BBOC because he failed the medical due to an abnormality on his brain scan.

The card is a disgrace.

deano110, milner575 and BustaNutt like this.
  7. huntingground

Last picture I saw of Scott, he looked like a character from Trainspotting

8. deano110

deano110 Competitor

[​IMG]

Andy Ruiz looks to have trimmed down quite dramatically since the initial press conference and media coverage 5 weeks ago:

[​IMG]

BustaNutt, huntingground and Guest like this.
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

Dnp and cardarine

deano110 and huntingground like this.
  10. lukeee

lukeee Top Contributor

I reckon AJ is gunna take his head clean off this time

BustaNutt and huntingground like this.
  11. huntingground

Boxer Patrick Day has died at the age of 27 - four days after sustaining head injuries in a fight against Charles Conwell.
    The American was put in a coma with a serious brain injury on Saturday after he was knocked out in the 10th round of his super welterweight bout in Chicago.

BustaNutt, deano110 and Guest like this.
  12. ChosenFW1

ChosenFW1 Full Member

Man that’s tragic about Patrick Day, hope his family are taken care of financially

Andy Ruiz- from past history sometimes boxers think they need to lean down and be faster etc. But maybe his size and physicality helped him deal with a naturally much bigger AJ? The bulk and weight could be what makes him effective and a heavier boxer= heavier punch even if it’s fat

AJ takes him out in mid rounds for me

deano110, huntingground and Guest like this.
  13. Guest

Guest Guest

Horrible

14. huntingground

Confirmed : Errol Spence Jr unhurt and was drink driving.

15. huntingground

People are claiming that the slimmer pics are older pics and he is missing tattoos which were done later??

deano110 likes this.