• While members here are knowledgeable, they are not doctors and are not able to diagnose or recommend treatment for medical conditions. Please consult a health care professional rather than risk your health.

Bp Readings?

All right lads, I’m currently on the third day of monitoring my blood pressure at home and recording my readings. I take 3 readings in the morning, afternoon and evening.

The values so far have been ok with systolic ranging from 110 to 135 and diastolic 62 to 80.

However, when taking measurements there are big jumps with numbers and on a couple of occasions diastolic readings have been very high. For example, today’s readings in the morning:
110/66 hr:64
116/62 hr:65
124/118 hr:88

This afternoon readings:
134/76 hr:61
125/62 hr:63
133/101 hr:70

Any of the knowledgeable members on here what may be causing this? Should I be concerned? Am I going to drop dead any minute?

Sodium affects diastolic.
If you have low diastolic increased sodium increases it.

Are the readings taken close together? Same time?
How much time between readings?

Seems to me it’s the 3rd reading that’s the issue. So if they are taken consecutively with little time between them, could be a severe case of white coat syndrome

Are the readings taken close together? Same time?
How much time between readings?

Seems to me it’s the 3rd reading that’s the issue. So if they are taken consecutively with little time between them, could be a severe case of white coat syndrome

I normally leave about a minute gap between each reading, so yeh quite close together. How much time should I be leaving between the readings?

The very fact you are conscious of it could be pushing that last reading up
Basically what GG said, white coat syndrome
Lots of variables could affect it, even just having a conversation with someone during the test will increase HR
Personally, if it was me, I wouldn't be too concerned
But if you are, go see the doc if he thinks its necessary then they'll put a 24hr monitor on you
That's the only real way of knowing what BP is up to

Btw
Any specific reason for checking BP

Yeh, family history of heart disease and high bp from my dads side. My old man was prescribed blood pressure meds around about my age (31) and still takes them at 75.

I’m actually recording my blood pressure for that very reason, the doctor has asked me to record a weeks worth of readings to see if there is any underlying issues that may need addressing.

Yeh, family history of heart disease and high bp from my dads side. My old man was prescribed blood pressure meds around about my age (31) and still takes them at 75.

I’m actually recording my blood pressure for that very reason, the doctor has asked me to record a weeks worth of readings to see if there is any underlying issues that may need addressing.

Just continue doing what your doing. Hopefully levels out If you are worrying yourself pushing it up

Ive been checking mine for a while,
07.00 137/77 p71
13.00 139/63 p78
Meine jumps up and down like everybodys,
As long as i wake mornings with a .... on i know all is well.

Back