1. Click here to see our list of sponsors. If you decide to use one of the companies listed, please support TMuscle by clicking on one of the links provided.

Build Or Cut?

Discussion in 'General Bodybuilding' started by Szymon Sikorski, Jan 7, 2017.

?

Fat loss or bulk?

1. continue fat loss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. start building

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Szymon Sikorski

Szymon Sikorski

Hi All,

Looking for some advice from people more experienced than me. I've been working out for the past year with the main goal of losing fat. I'm a 24 year old guy who was 220lbs in January and I've worked hard to get to 174lbs and 19% of body fat (based on a very simple measurement calculator found online). I had a 4 month break at some point where I went back to my old habits and stuffed my face with kebabs and sweets so that was a major set back.

I'm now at a point where I think I could benefit from building muscle and losing fat which according to most is impossible and is very difficult to the rest. I've attached a photo of me at my fittest to show what I mean. Whilst I have built out my chest and back slightly I have a very annoying body type where my hips, to me anyway, seem a little wide which creates this annoying houglass look instead of a V shape. Some of it is still fat (I'm still fairly high at 19%) but a lot of it I can feel is my hip bone. My worry is that if I continue to follow a fat loss diet and workout routine I will still be left with these wide hips which will bother me. I am thinking whether it'd be better to stick to a decent bulking diet and workout to minimise fat gain but maximise muscle growth so that my stomach and back can occupy the gap between my upper and lower torso in order to hopefully make it look more "filled"

I've always been following a fat loss diet with the following macros:
    Carbs: 190g per day
    Protein: 190-210g per day
    Fat: 50g per day
    Total calories: 2000 per day

I workout Monday - Sunday with Wednesday being a rest day and weekends cardio days. On monday I superset chest and back, Tuesday is a bicep + tricep day, Wednesday rest, Thursday shoulders (no supersetting), Friday legs.
    My workout is all about boosting my metabilism and getting the heart rate going. Cardio days consist of a 25 minute HIIT training at roughly 80-85% of my maximum heart rate and a giantset (4excercises) of abs training.

What do you guys think. Should I start building some mass? I'm having a child in July so my time is limited. Im still set on going to the gym with a newborn but as any first time parent I'm not sure how it will impact my life entirely :P

Attached Files:

2. Szymon Sikorski

Szymon Sikorski

Been looking at some oblique excercises which is the obvious way to solve my problem. But the bulk vs cut question still stands. Can I build my obliques out enough on a 500 calorie deficit or do I bulk up slightly with a 300ish calorie excess diet?

3. Sjundea

Sjundea Top Contributor

Firstly great post. Please don't be offended as I'm just giving my view and hope you take it as constructive criticism.

Your diet in my opinion is too low in cals, with all due respect you don't have much muscle base so I would t worry about body fat and would actually look to gain some muscle. I think if you continued to cut you'd end up around the 150lbs mark, ripped but very limited muscle. I would look to increase your calories and put yourself into a small surplus and look to add muscle.

What is your diet?

What is a typical training split?

What is your goal?

Rick@OlympusHealth likes this.
  4. doink

doink Top Contributor

You're over thinking it mate.

Eat a good healthy diet with minimal junk and train regularly and at your stage you'll lose fat and gain muscle.

5. Rick@OlympusHealth

Rick@OlympusHealth CEO @ Olympus Health

Squat, deadlift, row, press and eat well. It's really that simple. Once you put those demands on your body -- and the building blocks for it to adapt -- you'Il change quickly.

Greedy Ben and Sjundea like this.
  6. Szymon Sikorski

Szymon Sikorski

Thanks dude. Yeah that has been on my mind a lot lately. I've struggled with my weight all my life and I think the calorie deficit is just a fear that I'll go back to what I used to be. Or perhaps that I'm still at a high body fat % and bulking plus the 19% body fat will not go well together and I'll end up lookin worse.

My diet usually looks something like this:

Meal 1 (big as I work out before work) :
    6 eggs ( two with yolk, 4 just whites). If scrambled, pan fried with a small amount of coconut oil
    2 slices of wholemeal seeded bread
    100g of cottage cheese

Meal 2:
    half cup oatmeal with 1 cup blueberries

Meal 3 :
    Leftover from Meal 4

Meal4:
    2x scoops of lean whey protein powder

Meal5:
    Some type of lean meat. Turkey, chicken, low fat pork medallions or cod fillets
    1 and a half cup of mixed boiled veg
    Just now started to add half cup of brown rice too

Typical training week: This workout was released with the mens health issue this month. Following this at the moment. I'm 3 weeks in and it's made a bit of a difference but am considering doing something more personalised.

Monday - Chest and back
    Superset 1: Deadlift (4 sets of 11) , 30 sec rest, incline bench press (4 sets of 13) , 1 minute rest
    Superset 2: single arm row (4 sets of 13), 30 sec rest, flat bench press (4 sets of 11), 1 minute rest
    Superset 3: Wide grip lat pulldown (4 sets of 13), no rest, dumbel fly (4 sets of 11), 1 minute rest
    Superset 4: t-bar row (4 sets of 11), no rest, cable crossover (4 sets of 13), 1 minute rest

Tuesday - Arms + metabolism boost with legs and abs
    Superset 1: Lying dumbell tricep extensions (4 sets of 11), 30 sec rest, seated bicep curl (4 sets of 11), 1 minute rest
    Superset 2: lying ezbar tricep extensions (4 sets of 13), 30 sec rest, exbar bicep curl (4 sets of 13), 1 minute rest
    Triset 3: Walking lunge (4 sets of 15 each leg), Deadmill sprint ( 30 sec sprint on a turned off treadmill) , dumbell squat (4 sets of 15), 1 minute rest (THIS ONE KILLS!)
    Excercise 4 : Some form of ab excercise

Wednesday - Rest day

Thursday - Shoulders (minute rest between moves)
    Excercise 1: Seated dumbell shoulder press (4 sets of 11)
    Excercise 2: Lateral raise (4 sets of 11)
    Excercise 3: Reverse Fly (4 sets of 13)
    Excercise 4: Cable upright row (4 sets of 11)
    Excercise 5: Barbell shrugs (4 sets of 13)
    Excercise 6: tuck crunch (4 sets of 15)
    Excercise 7: cable woodchop (4 sets of 11)

Friday - legs + another metabolism boost with back and abs
    Superset 1: Bulgarian split squat (4 sets of 13), 30 sec rest, walking lunge (4 sets of 13 each leg), 1 minute rest
    Superset 2: Farmers walk (4 sets of 30m), no rest, romanian deadlift (4 sets of 11), 1 minute rest
    Superset 3: Goblet squat (4 sets of 15), 30 sec rst, barbell hip thrust (4 sets of 13), 1 minute rest
    Superset 4: Reverse fly (4 sets of 15), 30 sec rest, some form of ab excercise, 1 minute rest

Weekends - cardio + abs
    Cardio: 25 minute HIIT (treadmill or stairs)
    Giant set: Crunches ( 4 sets of 25), cable woodchopper (4 sets of 15), 60 sec plank, 30 second mountain climber. No rest in between moves.

Goal:
    Tom Hopper or Christian Guzman

I agree. I need more muscle thats for sure. My workouts have only ever been aimed at fat loss so I was always at 500-700 calorie deficit which is why I'm still small.

7. Szymon Sikorski

Szymon Sikorski

Maybe. But I've wasted a lot of time doing the wrong things before and don't want to repeat the same mistake so I'd rather look into more detail.

What sort of diet do you consider a "good" diet?

8. Greedy Ben

Greedy Ben Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    I see two meals and some light snacks above.

Eat more meals. Meals that contain meat, veg and carb source are best.

Training wise just do SL5x5 or Wendlers 531.

Stick to the basics and get strong.
    Stronger muscles are thicker.
    More muscle mass needs more food to maintain but burns more fat.

Sjundea likes this.
  9. Sjundea

Sjundea Top Contributor

Solid advice and I'd start out with 2500 cals and evaluate after two weeks.

Greedy Ben likes this.
  10. Szymon Sikorski

Szymon Sikorski

Ok Ill make sure to chuck another meal in there. Meal 3 is actually almost just as big as my main dinner as I always cook for two. Would you do any other excerises on the side of SL5x5? From my inexperienced point of view I'd imagine that this workout doesn't tackle all the muscles in your body. Would you also take out the cardio entirely too? Id still like to have two days of cardio per week unless it hurts the muscle building.

11. Szymon Sikorski

Szymon Sikorski

Ill have to try that and see how it goes. I guess the hard part is figuring out how many calories your muscles actually need after the workout to not consume to many at the end of the day.

12. Greedy Ben

Greedy Ben Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here

You don't need to work every single muscle at a time, you aren't a pro bodybuilder on a truck full of gear.

Get stronger on the basics and you will see improvements. Add a couple of isolation exercises or whatever else you want after the 5x5 workout if you want.

What is the cardio for? Is it for a specific sport?
    You don't have to train 5x a week.
    You can if you want but I would focus on getting stronger and recovering.
    Plus you have a newborn so sleep will be affected plus you may miss getting to the gym etc.