The Road To 220......ish

Bit of a phaggott session on legs this morning.

Pinned left quad, and took an adex this morning.

Felt a bit sick, and don't know if it was the thought of attempting to squat again - hardly done any in last 2 years - but as the new place has a Safety Squat Bar, I thought why not - struggle for mobility to hold std oly bar.

SATURDAY - LEGS

STANDING CALF RAISE

50 x12
70 x12
90 x12
110 x12
120 x12
120 x12
120 x10

Never used before, so went with weight on it then worked up. 2nd set of 120 felt nicer hence same reps.

SAFETY SQUAT BAR

Bar x6
+40 x5
+80 x4
+120 x2
+140 - wussed out

Bar felt weird, and in hindsight should of just done loads of reps to work pattern, but was a bit of a tit. Felt ok at +120, but when I put +140 on (unsure of weight of bar! is it still 20kg????) and combination of glutes going numb - sign of sciatica kicking in, and my brain wussing out, after I walked it out, I thought sod it. Maybe I should of just gone back down to +40 and done a fair few sets, as said to work pattern, guess bit annoyed and disappointed at the low weight I moved on.

HACK SQUAT

40 x6
80 x5
120 x4
160 x3
200 x2
240 x F

Lot more confidence in the seated hack at old place, and last time at a proper hack, it felt like lower back was 'exposed' although this one did support lower back better HOWEVER machine felt too small for me and plate also felt too small - at old place my feet are higher and wider, but as a smaller plate couldn't do that. Also had to like fall out of machine due to size - I'll ask if any chance of a bigger plate - its a sheet of chequer plate so can't be that big a deal. Disappointed in the 240 as 200 felt ok.

PLATE LOADED LEG PRESS

80 x10
160 x10
240 x10
320 x10
400 x10
440 x10
360 x10
280 x15
200 x10

Another machine where I felt too big/it felt too small. Had to slide in so far, push plate out a bit, and slide down fully. Doubt there is a lot that can be done there to modify easy. Worked up to max weight, 11 plates per side - looks like could modify to fit some plate on top of frame - looks like might of been something there previous but just a bolt through it at mo.

LEG EXTENSIONS - pin selected

35 x6
60 x6
85 x6
100 (stack) x10
100 x17

No plate loaded leg extn, so pin selected it was, and worked up to stack.

LYING LEG CURL

p16 x12
p16 x12

Tried to get in leg curl but bar that sits on your quads stuck in position and couldn't fit my legs into it, so tried the lying leg curl. Similar to one leg kneeling leg curl at other place, hits hams right at bottom just above knee. Getting a bit pushed for time so only 2 sets and wanted to try.........

GLUTE MACHINE (lbs)

100 x12
115 x12
130 x12
160 x12

Was on 100 when got on and went with that and just moved up a pin(or rather down) at a time, felt easy enough, and after 130 jumped 2 pins to 160 - run out ot time otherwise could of probably done the stack at 220lbs/100kg I reckon.
Not sure whether I got a lot out of it or not but might be one to use to activate glutes at start of a leg session??

OVERALL - Comparing workouts between gyms on machines just doesn't work, yet feel disappointed in numbers which is stupid. As for SSB I've just got to get used to the weight on my back again as been a long time, and it's a confidence thing again ain't it - just feels a bit naff numbers wise when I've been shifting big numbers on hack and leg press at other place - I know it's all that stability stuff as well, maybe expected too much, and could of easily not mentioned I did them, but not my style - it's warts an all lol
Was also in 2 minds whether to keep other gym running for leg sessions but bit silly ain't it, guess I'll just adapt - a bit more hip mobility wouldn't go amiss anyway :)

I'll speak to the guy who let me in for free last Sunday - assuming he's there tomorrow again, as think he is a partner in the business, or at least that was the impression I got, and ask about some modifications such as extra set of handles on plate loaded shoulder press - not that big a deal to drill 2 holes for an extra pair is it - a bigger plate on hack; a extra bar for plates on leg press (already drilled); bars to load extra plates on tricep press; and maybe a few other bits, and see what response I get lol

Left gym to make it to Mrs. Pain

Only an hour session available, as could of really of done with 90mins, so had to prioritise:

Sneezed the other day as I was twisted position getting out of bed, and after felt really tight in left QL;
Back of right knee feels tight which is usual indicator of knot in right quad;
Left shoulder quite clicky.

Stuck my knuckles in lower quad a few times lately trying to hit knot as it's usual place for it to be, but turns out was higher in quad, hence why I've got no relief doing it myself, but did feel like I couldn't find it so makes sense - she used knuckles, elbows, then machine, and then asked me did I want a needle instead - as quad wasn't giving it up, told her she was expert and if she thought better then use the tools you have - didn't take too long for knot to release with needle. She then did my shin, which wasn't pleasant lol
Left quad next and surprisingly was just as bad, and also needed the needle to release the knot after usual knuckles, elbows and machine, and followed by shin that side.
Felt like hams could do with needing doing, but I'll get a lacrosse ball in there tomoz and see if that helps - find it easier to sit on a slight incline bench to smash and floss hams, so I'll wait till i'm back in then.
Both QL's needed work, and up into shoulders where fair bit of popping going on.

Quads don't feel too bad now (2hrs later) and I did think I walked out of there taller, but shoulders feel battered.
Whether that is from not used to having weights sit on them with the Safety Squat Bar, the massage, or bit of both, I'm unsure, but thinking maybe the former. Just something I'll have to get used to if Dig thinks they are worth doing when I start back (was supposed to be Tuesday, but I've put it back a week just to familiarise myself with the new gym and it's equipment :)

SUNDAY - UPPER II

FLAT BB BENCH

bar x20
40 x15
60 x12
80 x12
100 x12
120 x3
100 x8
60 x18

Guilty of chasing numbers on this since I started, so remember Doink saying about doing lower weight more reps hits his chest better, plus after 'spotting' the lad on bench next to me and he did 12 reps @100kg I thought I better not do any less. Most reps I've done at 100kg, as like I say, not sure but think 5 is most as building up for a 1RM usually. Also I'm working with Dig again week Tuesday, he suggested I do more exercises but less sets on each. Thought might be a few more in me at 120, but as I say, never done that many reps before.

CGBP

60 x14
60 x13 (slightly closer grip)
60 x10 (index finger on inner edge of knurling)

Stuck with the 60kg and played with hand spacing, as always feel pecs hit far more the tighter the elbows are. At one point thought I might work up to 90/100kg, but like I say, played with spacing.

CHEST PRESS - pin selected

35 x6
55 x6
70 x6
85 x6
100 (stack) x10

Tried keeping elbows tight as poss, for more activation.

INCLINE CHEST PRESS - plate loaded

+30 x12
+60 x10
+60 x9

Don't really fit into this machine, or rather my hands won't go that far back, so stand up, hands on handles slide down as far as poss, then push out as slide rest of way down - not really ideal is it, so really think I should avoid this one.

PEC DEC

30 x30
40 x25
50 x16
50 x13 +2 partials

Again working pec activation, kept chin on pecs to get that feel, and went with reps.

V-BAR TRICEP PUSHDOWNS

p12 x27
p12 x19 + 1 partial
p12 x18
p12 x17

Wanted to do Tri press machine, but in use so threw these in, and got a splendiferous burn going on - like these :)

TRICEP PRESS MACHINE

95 (stack) x26 - lhs lower abs cramped up
95 x16 - slower reps, but abs cramped up again

Reckon fair few more reps in me, but abs cramped up on me and had to stop. Did next set slow to see if could get round it, but nope.

EZ BAR PREACHER - +10kg x10
EZ BAR BICEP CURL MACHINE - p12 x10
HAMMER CURLS - 22.5's x10

Wanted to use bicep curl machine, but in use so tried preacher bench with EZ bar but had far bigger incline on it than I'm used to and wasn't comfortable with it, so just one set, and also curl machine free, but again for some reason didn't feel comfortable (although felt fine last time??) then grabbed some 22.5's DB's for some hammer curls but right forearm cramped up so thought sod it :lol:

Did have a wry smile whilst on pec dec as thought yeah, people are here training, and not just for a workout.
Think right move coming here :)

I see your weight has come down now your on a proper hack squat lol

True

First time on seated Hack only did 180 or 200 off top of my head, then worked it up to 380 last week, so sure I can work this one back up. However the seated one, the plate is higher and wider, and that's where my feet naturally like to be. Felt really hard on proper hack as plate smaller and feet didn't feel natural. Was far too busy today (similar time last week maybe 6 in there whereas this week 25-30) to ask about any potential modifications i.e bigger plate on hack. Hopefully if they get a bigger chequer plate cut I can get some bigger numbers up - although doubt it would be as high as seated one, as that takes lower back out the equation, and makes it all legs, which I guess in reality might make it a better machine :think::think::think:

I always go top of the plate feet together gets the outside sweep I find,
I can only do 200 kg for 5 reps and when you think about it most of the weight is on the sledge

I always go top of the plate feet together gets the outside sweep I find,
I can only do 200 kg for 5 reps and when you think about it most of the weight is on the sledge
I think you mentioned that before didn't you about high and close, and I did try it next time I went in, but didn't feel natural at all for me.

Feeling bit battered this morning.
Did have morning free, but done 3 days on trot, so best have a day off.
However do plan on re-starting cardio tonight, but will try not to go too mad.

Went for slash in night, and right knee (bad one) in agony - don't know if that's the squats, or squeezing into that hack and leg press???
Left quad aching - must be Mrs. Pain - surprised me as one area didn't think I had an issue
Traps ache - just not used to having so any weight sitting on them.

Could of happily stayed in bed, but got dragged out to take misses work.

Sat in gym car park thinking what am I doing here

Sacked cardio off last night as guts in bits and pretty similar this morning- very inconsistent on digestive enzymes of late :sad:

Right knee painful

Traps still ache where safety Squat bar sat

Left quad aches still from sports massage

Chest and arms sore from Sunday

Feel bit sick

What's a guy to do????

Yep, get out the car and stop being such a phaggott

Sacked cardio off last night as guts in bits and pretty similar this morning- very inconsistent on digestive enzymes of late :sad:

Right knee painful

Feel bit sick

What's a guy to do????

God I'm full of shit lol

From adversity comes ..........

......3 PB's

285kg Trap bar Dead
85kg DB Row x10
95kg DB Row x5

Gotta love it [emoji13]

Right knee painful

Feel bit sick

What's a guy to do????

All this plus sciatica.

Had little intention of doing trap bar deads, as doesn't always pay to do them every week does it, and given all the above, chances were I'd not have it in me, or I'd puke on the platform.
Typed out above response
Walked in
No one there
OK.......if I balls up, no one to see it is there
Mmmm, trap bar deads it is :)

TUESDAY - BACK

TRAP BAR DEADS

80 x6
130 x5
180 x4
230 x2
285 x1 PB

At old gym they have 25's, which, when working on my own, I go up in, whereas here, they go up to 20, and last week I went up 1 plate per side and was thinking am I doing too many reps? so thought I'd just make it 50 jumps like old gym. Got to 230, and thought if bar is 32kg like other place, 50kg would put me equal PB, so added 2.5kg per side to make what I thought was 287 - I asked afterwards and they say bar is 30kg, so turns out was 285 - still a PB by 3kg, AND I felt like I could of done more IMHO, I reckon 290 was doable, but thought no, take that, just be happy (vid uploading at mo)

SEATED ROW - plate loaded

+40 x6
+80 x8
+120 x10
+80 x20

Harder than other one, although didn't use straps which could of helped, and arc of plate loaded arms different - this one more vertical plane, yet despite lower weight, felt more comfortable to use.

LAT PULL DOWN - plate loaded

+80 x10
+120 x8
+160 x10
+80 x4/4/4/4/4/15 MR

Surprised myself with the 80kg per side. Was unloading, then thought sod it, lets do a muscle round, but rather than add bit more weight, do a slightly shorter rest periods, then went pete tong as got 15 out at the end :lol: whoops

DB ROW

45 x6
60 x6
70 x6
85 x10 PB
95 x5 PB

Was hoping to do this earlier in workout, but they've got new benches on order, and took a couple out of action, so had to wait for one to become free, so didn't expect to do as well. 85 felt bloody heavy, yet compared to the 6 last week, although if i'm honest reckon I could of done a 7 then, I was just plain determined to do better, and looked at the 95 and thought better get 10 on 85 before trying them out, and just hoped for 8, yet just went for it, and got 10. Mmmm, well I did say 10 reps before moving up, fck it, :lol: strewth these are heavy, but going to look a tit now I've put it on bench ready now if I don't do it, and yeah fckin heavy, but got 5 per side, kin ell, chuffed with that.

STRAIGHT ARM PULLDOWN - pin selected

30 x8
40 x10
50 x10

Might have to stand on plate next time to get full ROM, as hit top few times. Machines are different so not fully relevant to previous gym, so can't say if any good.

OVERALL
Given how I felt, fck me that was good, end of :lol:

List of equipment in new gym

@Dig

LEGS
Squat rack + half rack w/ oly bars and safety squat bar
Lying leg curl - (ps) pin selected
Seated leg curl - ps
Leg Extension - ps
Hack Squat - plate
Leg Press - plate
Glute Kick Back - pin