Calories/macros

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by James89, Jul 1, 2019.

1. James89

James89 Full Member

After a bit of help with macros, used the calculator on bodybuilding.com but just seems a bit low.
    I’m 29, male, 97kg, weight training at least 4 times a week and now I’m looking to lose the fat and see how I look underneath il add a.m cardio aswell.
    I do a desk job so sat down most of the day.
    I run 400mg test e p/week
    Body fat not 100% sure but I’d guess 15-20%

Bodybuilding.com came out with the below but like I said seems like fuck all food to me

200 pro
    200 carb
    45 fat

Any help appreciated

2. noel

noel Top Contributor

any current pics for closer estimate..

id push protein a bit higher 250-300 , keep carbs low on non workout days, then on days you hit the gym raise them as youll be hungrier. all depends how much you need to shift....

its very individual , I would not go below 200g carb even for contest prep..... others will need to go to 50g a day. You want to be consistent and have as much food as possible but to the point you can lose the weight...

James89 and pooley1810 like this.
  3. deano110

deano110 Competitor

Those macros come out at just over 2,000 calories per day which seem very low for a male lifter with at 97kg.

Online calculators can be useful tools to get a rough idea but they're very limited on an individual level and will never be able to provide a definitive answer. Personally I think you'd be better consuming 14 calories per lb of body weight and distributing your macro-nutrient intake to best support adherence.

If I was in your position and at your weight I would aim for 2,950 - 3,000 calories per day, for the macros I would follow a simple formula - protein 1g p/lb of bw, fat 0.4g p/lb bw and then make the rest of your calories up from carbohydrates, this would look something like:

P220g C325g F85g 2,945 calories

You could definitely afford to drop protein a little, largely personal preference but I also keep my intake a little higher when in a deficit for satiety. Some other bits of advice, I would split your protein intake evenly over 3 - 6 meals, place 50% of more of your carbohydrates around your training (pre, intra and post).

Try and track your scale weight each morning first thing, after using the toilet but before eating/drinking, and average your scale weight over the week to see which direction it's heading. Stick to the macros for 3 weeks to establish how much of a deficit you're in, ignore the first weeks data as there are too many variables (glycogen/water weight drops) and used the 2nd and 3rd weeks numbers.

I don't normally introduce cardio at the beginning of a dieting phase, I prefer to keep a consistent level of activity throughout the week through daily activity and weight training and then further down the line when I hit a plateau I'll incrementally add cardio as a tool to continue the fat loss.

James89 and Anna1 like this.
  4. G-G

G-G Ex Competitor

What are you eating currently?

5. James89

James89 Full Member

So if i up protein to 250 and carbs to 250 on training days and drop carb to 200 on non training days ? I have been eating around 3000cals

6. James89

James89 Full Member

Thanks for that mate, had planned to have my carbs at breakfast then pre and post training (I train around 5.30pm) and leave a few for my evening meal after post workout shake/carb

deano110 likes this.
  7. deano110

deano110 Competitor

Yeah that makes sense, I'm pretty similar (I have a desk job as well). I mainly eat protein and fat throughout the day and have the majority of my carbs in my pre-training, post-training and then evening meal.

Have you got any time frame for this cut? As that will dictate the best approach, for example if it's short in duration you can be more aggressive with a larger surplus and higher expenditure. If it's long in duration then a more linear approach were you incrementally decrease calories and increase expenditure in response to plateau's would probably be a better approach.

From what you've said, I'm presuming there isn't a time constraint. Fat loss is really simple from a numbers point of view, being consistent and keeping adherence is the hard part.

8. James89

James89 Full Member

No massive time constraints I just want to test myself to be honest, I’m pretty happy with how I look but want to see how much muscle is really underneath and then go into a surplus again but without the excessive eating I’ve done in the past. It’s easier to track your abs disappearing if you actually have some to start with !

9. deano110

deano110 Competitor

Yeah that makes perfect sense. Personally I would do what I outlined in my first reply.

Whatever calorie intake you decide on, be consistent with it for a few weeks - even if scale weight is relatively stagnant, it'll still be useful because you'll at least be able to establish roughly what your maintenance is and can then adjust accordingly.

There isn't anything magic about cycling calories/carbohydrates on non-training days, during the initial phase of the diet you shouldn't really notice any negative impacts on energy or training performance, but it would be a useful strategy if you do accumulate some diet fatigue after a period of time.

Scale weight is very important but not the be all and end all, if you want to put a bit more effort in, taking weekly progress pictures and waist circumference measurements will paint a clearer picture.

The last thing I would say is regarding protein intake, this is down to personal preference of course, but in my opinion at your current body composition I don't see any benefit to consume much more than 1g per lb of bw, aside from potential positive impacts on satiety. But I would rather maximise my carbohydrate intake to support training over having a very high protein intake.