Did You Know Its A Common Myth That Consuming Lots Of Extra Protein Gives People Bigger Muscle

Discussion in 'General Bodybuilding' started by Zakir Hussain, Oct 12, 2019.

1. BustaNutt

BustaNutt Mr NUTTivator Full Member

Uh... when you say “some whey on top”, you don’t literally mean you sprinkle whey powder on top of your mince do you? Cause that sounds like it would taste like vomit.

2. Fatbrah

Fatbrah TMuscle Fatministrator Top Contributor

Blow ya kidneys up bro

zack likes this.
  3. Penguin

Penguin Full Member

There is the argument though that the fact PEDs increase protein synthesis you don't need as much protein as being touted as the PEDs you are using are putting the protein you're ingesting to better use, i.e the building of muscle tissue.

As I said carbs are muscle sparing hence why I'm against daft keto diets in most cases unless you're morbidly obese and need to drop weight quickly for a bloody gastric band. So again, the need for protein decreases.

I'm not saying nobody needs more than 0.8g or whatever the study said, I'm just saying nobody needs the silly amounts most are ingesting as it's just what's been brainwashed into them to make more money for supplement companies.

Protein is essential for building muscle, obviously, though excess will just be stored as fat or used as energy like any other macro. Overall calories are much more important for size as like I said if it was all down to protein let's all shovel down 1kg a day and be huge. We all know it doesn't work that way.

I've even said I agree I'd rather take in more than less through fear of efforts in the gym being put to waste, I just didn't think there was much wrong with the article the OP posted up if anyone on here actually took the time to read it.

Fatbrah and deano110 like this.
  4. BustaNutt

BustaNutt Mr NUTTivator Full Member

Yeah I went to see a dietician for my celiac disease and she looked at me in horror when I told her my diet (standard bodybuilding diet). She then told me stories about young kids with kidney failure cause they’re eating too much protein. She also advised me to stop drinking protein shakes and switch them for milkshakes, so from that point on I pretty much took anything she said as bullshit.

Reacher, zack, Fatbrah and 1 other person like this.
  5. flash

flash Full Member

The main issue with this post is that fact that the op posted this study on the back of a thread he made where he was asking for help with pics in and yes he needed just that, help

It’s like going on a ice hockey forum and posting about the intricacies of high level ice hockey play yet in reality you can’t even skate and don’t know which end of the bloody stick to hold

Fatbrah, huntingground and BustaNutt like this.
  6. huntingground

huntingground Fookin Pencil Neck Competitor

Over the years, I have tried lots of different diets, the one I am currently eating has me where I want to be. Lots of clean carbs (rice, potatoes, bananas), decent amounts of protein and lowish fats from decent sources. No shakes at all.

I've done over 500g protein a day before (loads of shakes) and am growing better now than then but there are so many other factors involved too (lifestyle, PEDs, rest, sleep, hydration, training schedule, life in general).

Find what works for you but start (I would suggest) with high P/C and low F.

7. deano110

deano110 Competitor

My two pence on protein requirements for what it’s worth (probably all of 2p).

I’ve experimented with several different approaches and personally I’ve found no benefit going over 1.2g per lb / 2.6g per kg of lean body mass (lbm) – or to make it a bit simpler this would equate to 1g per lb / 2.2g per kg of bodyweight for the average lifter.

When I was younger and took the deep dive into protein intake I came across a few snippets of information which I cherry picked to form the basis of my decision making, 1. 40g of protein would maximise muscle protein synthesis (mps), 2. Blood amino acid would decline 2-3 hours after consumption. Now this was a few years ago and I was naive, but based on this information (which was heavily pushed by supplement companies) I drew the conclusion that I should eat somewhere between 40-50g of protein every 2 hours, which meant I was eating 8 meals a day and approximately 350g protein whilst weighing between 180 – 190 lbs at around 15% body fat.

In contrast to my current approach, were other than having a few more years of lifting under my belt and subsequently more muscle mass, the other parameters remain relatively the same. I now consume around 200g protein per day over 5 feedings and utilise the calories saved predominantly towards carbohydrates. My lean body mass has increased over time and I’ve not seen any decrease in the rate I gain muscle, whilst noticing a benefit in my performance and ability to recover between sessions – which I would put down to an increase in carbohydrates fueling training and replenishing glycogen more effectively.

This is all just anecdotal but I wanted to share as it was quite a paradigm shifting experience for me when I switched from an excessively high protein intake to a more moderate (but still considered high by some) amount. There are a lot of other variables at play and I should probably note I’m a natural lifter, I don’t think it’s far-fetched in the slightest to advocate a higher protein intake by weight for enhanced lifters when considering things like protein turnover rate and the effects on protein synthesis.

Something worth considering is the psychology behind people’s view on protein intake, and how the supplement industry in particular have played on this. There is a lot of tribalism within the bodybuilding community and eating high amounts of protein is massively associated with it, if I’m eating a meal the most common thing I’ll get asked from a general population person is “what have you got there, protein?”. I think a lot of people derive a sense of belonging or identity by eating high amounts of protein, and this is further reinforced culturally as eating meat is seen as a manly thing to do.

The last thing I’ll say is that protein can have benefits beyond building muscle, this is quite specific to people that have weight loss goals but of the 3 macronutrients it’s the most satiating. So in the context of dietary adherence in a fat loss phase there’s definitely a strong argument to higher protein intakes than what has been deemed optimal for muscle growth. I thought it would be useful illustrate this as it would be narrow minded to just look at protein intake and how it solely impacts muscle.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  8. Fatbrah

Fatbrah TMuscle Fatministrator Top Contributor

Good post brah :thumb:

deano110 and Sjundea like this.
  9. Reacher

Reacher Top Contributor

prob been covered already as I've not read all posts...
    tl;dr.

lots of studies apparently say 2 to 2.5g per kg is covering all requirements in terms of building muscle ( bodybuilding goals )
    you need far less than this for a 'normal diet and lifestyle'
    but protein also does other things besides just convert to muscle . So the argument is take that amount or thereabouts and cover all bases.
    Body does convert excess to use as energy and will store as fat but I'm pretty sure this isn't a doddle and excess protein wont immediately make you fat.

Protein was a big money maker once Joe weider etc had sold you your muscle builder magazine subscription, then a barbell and weights set for your garage, once you had that they had to find something else to sell you. your not gonner buy a barbell set once a month but he could convince you you needed protein powder and a tub a month was a good little earner backed up by endless articles about needing more than the Health departments recommended 60g per day for a healthy male subject or whatever it was...
    so it became lore that you needed excessive amounts to grow.
    I imagine the truth lies somewhere in the middle, to grow muscle your gonner need more than a average non lifting bod, do you need 300g per day... doubt that.
    Good food choices in your calorie range covering protein carbs and fats. Carbs around workouts is beneficial in terms bodybuilding or body composition. But find what seems to be right for you rather than cookie cutter diets stating xyz...

or not and go with a g per lb, and you'll not go wrong I dont think...

Remember Hulk Hogan just used to take his vitamins and say his prayers and that seemed to work well for him.

SteveB, deano110, BustaNutt and 3 others like this.