Dieting When Pregnant?

Tommy6

Top Contributor
Mrs is 10 and a half weeks pregnant but carrying more weight than she'd like, was in tears last night about how bad it's got.

I was just gonna stick her in a defecit and 10,000 steps per day, just with healthier choices but not too strict,

She's expecting weight to come down which I would think will happen at the start but as the baby grows will likely level out?

Is there anything else I need to think about in regard to both weight loss nd health?
@Hilly figure you may be well versed in something like this? Anyone else please feel free to chime in.

Sorry that should actually read 200cal suprlus in the last 3 months.

The rest of the time maintenance cals and use the table at the bottom to judge rate of weight gain perhaps.

Is there anything else I need to think about in regard to both weight loss nd health?
@Hilly figure you may be well versed in something like this? Anyone else please feel free to chime in.

Protein recommendation - RNI= 0.75 g/kg body + 6 g/day

Fat - No extra fat req, just focus on adequate intake of essential fatty acids (EFA....veg oils) and long chain derivatives especially arachidonic acid (AA...meat and eggs) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA...oily fish or a supp). Beneficial for brain & retina development, also associated with longer gestation, increased birth weight & lower rates of postpartum depression.

Vitamins - Assuming adequate amounts of Iron and Calcium already in diet only Increased req for Folic Acid (There an NHS supplementation recommendation IIRC so worth looking it up but also ensure dark leafy greens, beans..oranges grapefruit, celery), Vit C (Increase of 10 mg/day in 3rd trimester, RNI adult females = 40 mg/day), D (supplement it throughout pregnancy) and A (dont supplement it as high intakes associated with birth defects, just ensure intake of Vit A rich foods. I think the RNI is 700mg a day but check). .

For reference..normal weight gain pregnancy taken from a lecture I received in it.....

image.jpg

can she not go to the gym remember my Mrs back in the day when my eldest lad was born (10yr ago) she was still in the gym till gone 30wks jsut a shame she hasn't set foot in the place since :rofl:

can she not go to the gym remember my Mrs back in the day when my eldest lad was born (10yr ago) she was still in the gym till gone 30wks jsut a shame she hasn't set foot in the place since :rofl:

Exercise is meant to be really good when pregnant apparently... keeps the muscles tight etc and helps with stomach

My Mrs has done fuck all though :lol:

@roy@/_ thanks mate I'll look into that more tonight. Appreciate that.

Tbh it's difficult for her to get to a gym due to work and family commitments so looking at alternatives, she has an excercise bike and kettlebell sat home but they've not moved in years.

@roy@/_ thanks mate I'll look into that more tonight. Appreciate that.

Tbh it's difficult for her to get to a gym due to work and family commitments so looking at alternatives, she has an excercise bike and kettlebell sat home but they've not moved in years.

PM me if you want mate and ill email you the slide deck I re read before posting that.

Worry about it after the birth.

Just eat a 'reasonable' amount of good food. Get out for some walks.
Have a few treats but you are growing a baby so better your health the better for the baby.

Exercise as long as its normal or feels fine.
If you didn't exercise before now isn't the best time to start.

My mrs usually exercises x4 a wk.
4months preg, has hardly done any. Too tired.

Mrs is 10 and a half weeks pregnant but carrying more weight than she'd like, was in tears last night about how bad it's got.

I was just gonna stick her in a defecit and 10,000 steps per day, just with healthier choices but not too strict,

She's expecting weight to come down which I would think will happen at the start but as the baby grows will likely level out?

I'd just have her at maintenance n being as active as she can. Personally. It will level out.

Back