1. Click here to see our list of sponsors. If you decide to use one of the companies listed, please support TMuscle by clicking on one of the links provided.

Dieting Without Heavy Resistance Training?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Max, Oct 12, 2017 at 11:51 AM.

1. Max

Max Competitor

Has anyone ever dieted and completed a major reduction in bodyfat with just progressive aerobic acitivity?

How did it affect lbm and composition?

I'm considering it as I have afew lb to loose but I may as well get ripped. I'm pondering if fat loss would be well balanced or as well balanced as with weight training.

I was thinking just adding in more cardio as I plateaux and keeping all food same start to finish. Currently about 2600 calories.
    Any input appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 12:08 PM

2. Raisin

Raisin Full Member

If you diet and up CV, without doing any weights you'd lose muscle mass aswell as fat wouldnt you? Or is that not a major concern at the mo?

Natty or assisted?

3. Max

Max Competitor

Would I though? I've not done weights for 6 months no you see. So not much to lose?

4. doink

doink Top Contributor

Not since I did basic training for the army and then my current job. Both were 15 weeks of running around 5 days a week with various bits of equipment and lots of body weight exercises. I was fucking exhausted the entire time lmao.

Both were long before I ever used gear or did any weights. Lost a lot of fat and gained a fair chunk of muscle both times.

If you’re holding it now without resistance training there’s no reason you should lose it just because you increase cardio.

You’re not talking triathlons and marathons are you so as long as you fuel your exercise you’re still gonna utilise your calories and body fat.

I dunno why people think the cardio people generally talk about is gonna cause muscle loss. It’s fucking ridiculous really isn’t it.

“ oh if I add 45 mins inc walking without adding 250 cals to cover it will I lose muscle “

Fuck off, it’s mad innit the shit you read on forums.

You’ll be sweet mate.

Armz and Max like this.
  5. Raisin

Raisin Full Member

If you've not done weights for 6 months then i cant see you losing more. Maybe a bit but that depends how much bodyweight you lose in total.

Max likes this.
  6. Keys

Keys

Do you do much callisthenics? Can't see muscle loss being too much of an issue if you progress on dips/chins/pressups and variations

Max likes this.
  7. Dtlv

Dtlv Moderator Moderator

I think so long as protein intake is reasonable and the deficit not crazy you'll be fine.

In my first year out here in the states I spent the summer helping a buddy of mine out on his small farm in Northern California when he injured his back, and I lost a ton of weight - about 30lbs in ten weeks and, while there probably was some muscle lost it wasn't crazy. My waist lost 3-4 inches but my chest measurement barely lost anything.

My diet was a mix of veg and chicken and duck eggs from the farm with only occasional meat, and then drinking loads of sugary soda and water during the day to stay hydrated. No idea what the macros were overall though.

I didn't go near a gym but was on my feet working in 100 degrees six days a week lifting stuff, digging, picking, hammering fence poles, tending to the birds etc so it was a mix of aerobic with bursts here and there of anaerobic activity.

doink and Max like this.
  8. Hilly

Hilly Nutritionist and Sports Therapist Moderator

Physiologically I would say you wound loose mass.

Muscle is a tissue that requires evergy from the body to maintain.

When we are in a surplus we are catabolic. Our body breaks down what it doesn't need/have use for fit energy.

If ya ain't moving the weight ya not needing the muscle to move it either.

Dtlv and Max like this.
  9. Dtlv

Dtlv Moderator Moderator

I agree, although I think if the deficit is not too severe and protein intake is high then it can be mostly offset. I also think the leaner the start point, the harder it is to maintain muscle. Just how pudgy are you, @Max ? :D

10. Hilly

Hilly Nutritionist and Sports Therapist Moderator

Yeh v gd points.

Dtlv likes this.
  11. hsmann87

hsmann87 Top Contributor

Asking how to get lean without heavy resistance training on a forum called tMUSCLE

Dat dere lunacy

Dtlv and Hilly like this.
  12. hsmann87

hsmann87 Top Contributor

Might aswell become vegan and hold hands and sing kumbaya with @doink

J160885 and doink like this.
  13. Max

Max Competitor

Im about 15% at 82k

If I diet to 75k I should be pretty sliced I'd say. Which ain't a bad set point for someone that's not doing and weights or gear lol. Hopefully I'll get fit in the process also. I really enjoy being smaller and more flexible, I feel free in my body which after years of limitation is incredibly liberating.

Dtlv likes this.
  14. Dtlv

Dtlv Moderator Moderator

Sounds like you've had quite a journey since I was last on the forums in regards to where you want to be physically, but it sounds like you are in a great place. Good on ya! If you do cut a bit more then I'm sure you'll do it well. You aren't exactly a newbie at knowing how to manipulate your body comp.

Max likes this.