1. Click here to see our list of sponsors. If you decide to use one of the companies listed, please support TMuscle by clicking on one of the links provided.

Dorian Yates Hit Training... This!!!

Discussion in 'General Bodybuilding' started by AaronHudson, Jan 5, 2017.

1. AaronHudson

AaronHudson Competitor

We've spoken about form and range of motion in various threads. Watch this video.

How Dorian does things, is EXACTLY how I was taught by Steve Lewis when I first started. Look how how obsessive he is about positioning etc. Absolutely spot on.

RACK, IrnBru, noel and 8 others like this.

2. Con

Con Moderator

I laugh so hard when I see people doing "HIT" on social media.
    All they're doing is too low volume with heavy weight usually on machines.
    They miss the WHOLE POINT!!!!!
    The reason the volume is so low is because if you do the set 100% correctly you don't need 20 sets like that.
    How many people do their sets correctly? Very few....
    I still work on my form every workout after 18 years of doing this shit.
    If you lose tension at any point of the move = did it wrong! That includes loose explosive form. The muscle has to be under full tension the entire time.

Great post Aaron.

Let me add this to the thread to add more knowledge for members.

Andynapes, noel, ricky23 and 6 others like this.
  3. Con

Con Moderator

As a basic example as I see this EVERY DAY with clients.
    How many people have a lot of upper back muscle but they lack inner back and the whole lat?
    Now look at how many people do not pull the bar all the way down instead they stop .5-2 inches short of full contraction and then they don't stretch fully at the top (and I don't mean stretching your arms I am talking about back muscle!).
    Pull it all the way down and voila suddenly the whole back is fully contracting.

ricky23, Porky, AaronHudson and 2 others like this.
  4. AaronHudson

AaronHudson Competitor

100% mate. That level of obsession and strictness to each rep is what makes the difference, it's not a training split (which should be based on recovery ability, nothing else) or choice of exercises/machines.

Hate seeing that shit. Half reps.

I always explain it like imagine you're trying to stretch a tshirt or an elastic band out of shape... do you just pull it within it's ability to stretch? NOOOOOO! You have to stretch the fucker as far as it will go!

ricky23 and Con like this.
  5. Nytol

Nytol Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    That made me smile to read that mate, although I'm not at all surprised, after 24yrs, I am still learning, still actively trying to learn, still evolving, tweaking, finding little ways to improve and do things better.

To me that is as much part of why I train as the physical results, it might even be of more interest to me.

noel, ricky23, Bigkiwi and 3 others like this.
  6. Con

Con Moderator

Matt, although we will never share the same opinion about training VOLUME.
    We will always be on the same page with training INTENSITY and placing the target stress into the muscle.
    If you do it correctly you don't need a lot of volume, this I always agree with.
    Problem is 99% of people don't do it 100% correctly and for that reason need more volume.
    They can't knock the nail in with a single blow.

What I have ALWAYS found with clients is...the longer I work with them the less volume they need.
    This is because they learn how to target the muscle better.

99% of gym goers have never done a single set to muscular failure at least for other body parts than arms and leg extensions.
    Sure they fail to lift the weight but they stopped using the target muscle a few reps ago.
    That's why I have made a lot of clients get very sick with a single set done correctly to failure.
    Had a kid that thinks he's a bodybuilder (lol) throw up and lay in the rain after one working sets of pull downs and 2 sets of chest supported rows.
    I am not talking about sets with forced reps, I am talking about standing next to him and giving him training cues and commands for the duration of the set, until muscular failure was reached.
    Cheeky little bollocks then said "i cant believe people pay you for this shit" and the next workout was back do doing 30 minutes of one arm cable push downs (I wish i was exaggerating).

Here's a little tip for any newbee to this game; When you do a set. Imagine you're at the physical therapist. You know how much those little rehab exercises can hurt because he has you doing them slowly controlled and taking that target area to failure? Well take that principle and put it into any exercise you're doing. Suddenly you don't need 10 sets to feel it LOL. Yes you will have to use less weight for perhaps a few months as you build up doing it correctly. But once you're back using the same weights you used to "use" but with the right form/tempo/effort your body will look totally different.

7. Nytol

Nytol Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Very well put mate :thumb:

I also had a guy, who had competed before, been training quite a while, thought he trained hard and that my low volume approach was 'not enough'.

His training was very high volume, at least 20 sets per body part.

After 3 straight sets on back, he had to go outside because he was about to throw up :lol:

The next session was just delts, and he'd had enough after two sets of pressing and a set of laterals done in a way that actually targets the lateral head of the delt, unlike most people.

After that he was a convert, and gained a great deal of muscle while dieting for his show.

Having the gym is nice, in that I can show people, rather than tell people what I mean, they also see me train, and know that I practice what I preach.

Dig, J160885, Greedy Ben and 6 others like this.
  8. jtf1

jtf1 Full Member

Some great points here and although a low volume fan myself I know certain clients unless I was there pushing them would not be able to train intense enough to make 1 set work so I always have them train with more volume,

ricky23 and Con like this.
  9. Tommy6

Tommy6 Top Contributor

Any tips for side laterals? I always end up feeling it in my traps.

10. _cam

_cam Full Member

Lift with your shoulders not your traps xo

Robbie, tomlet1 and Fatbrah like this.
  11. tomlet1

tomlet1 Mr Glass Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    I know this isn't aimed at a pencil neck like me but

I think seated are better

Pull from the elbow

Little finger always higher than thumb

Dont go above shoulder level

Keep line of dumbell travelling in line with ur body until struggling then cheat a few

Inb4 ur not @AaronHudson fuck off mate

Inb4 1bbr8l.jpg

12. Tommy6

Tommy6 Top Contributor

Always do yourself a discredit pie chart brah.

You've got a cracking physique.

No homo.. wee bit homo.

tomlet1 likes this.
  13. DC1

DC1 Myprotein Rep

I personally prefer cable side laterals. Keeps the tension on the muscle throughout the strength curve.

14. Mr mac

Mr mac TM Health & Safety officer Top Contributor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    @Tommy6 keep your shoulders depressed and retracted to hit delts

neil.rushton likes this.
  15. Nytol

Nytol Competitor

Training Log:
    Click Here
    Learn to get in touch with the side head by laying on your side, on a 35 degree incline bench, taking a 3-4kg DB, no more, and do side raises, ensuring that the lateral head of the delt is facing the ceiling.

Your body will want to use the stronger front delt, so keep the position tight, I'd guess that 20 of those, coming to a dead stop on your leg each time will have your side delt on fire in a way you have maybe never felt?

For standing I like to keep palms facing backwards all the time, so that the side head is facing the ceiling again.

Here is a very old video of me doing them :thumb:

BTS93 and JB like this.