Down In The Garage

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by jezzab05, Sep 2, 2019.

1. jezzab05

jezzab05 Full Member

Throwing this up here for ramblings.

Been spending a good portion of this year getting back on the throttle and piecing together a nice little garage gym set up, having spent the past couple flitting between gyms and training outside, which didn't pan out great over the winter. Love the plethora of equipment gyms have to offer, but prefer training solo as opposed to crowds.
    So..picked up a commercial leg extension, olympic incline bench, have two builder trestles for a rack, a roman chair/hyper extension, have had a chinning stand frame made from steel piping (still need to piece it together) and couple of bars iron weights and dumbells which are on the pending upgrade list.

Also restarted tracking calories with a more difinitive goal in mind rather than spinning the wheels any further. Nice insight into how fat you actually are when you try to get lean...

Holiday coming up in 6 weeks which I will have a week of relaxing on the diet and just eat 'normally' but with some constraint (as it is all inclusive) and then back on the mark again. Eating habits (and food relationship) have massively changed these past couple of years so I don't forsee this being an issue at all. Will continue with the lowered calories and see how far I can take it as they're not stupidly low, but probably the lowest I've ever eaten at.

Exercise wise; squat, a press, and deadlift on different days with a bunch of accessory/bodybuilding fluff and mobility/stability work around them. Not chasing numbers, not a fan of tweaking things these days. Strength will increase gradually and more so when the calories eventually go up.

Body weight down from 224 to 203 since March/April and holding there on around 2300kcal. Scales havent budged in weeks but condition is improving which is what I'm looking for.

2. jezzab05

jezzab05 Full Member

X trainer to get some blood moving.
    BB bnp x 3 work sets 1 drop off set
    BB press x 3 work sets 1 drop off set
    Bench db row 4 sets
    Bent laterals 3 sets
    Side laterals 3 sets
    Band work

Sister came over with the kids so afternoon out down park and to swimming lesson with them.

Rest of day to knock about doing fuck all til missus gets back later.

3. jezzab05

jezzab05 Full Member

Band stuff for hips/knees/ankles/general mobility and flexability stuff warm up with body weight and goblet squats.

Squat working up in slow single paused reps to 2 x heavy doubles

Stripped it back for 3x5 work set
    and then again for 2x10 high bar narrow stance.

Leg extensions - couple of single leg warm up sets
    3x12 work sets.
    Lighter pumpy sets to finish.

3x30 calve raises. Burn motherfucker, burn.

Done.

Cooked bunch of chicken for dinner and tomorrows lunch. Was too hungry to wait for veg to cook tonight so opted for Uncle Bens packet - tastey and quick.

Try and wind down and wait for the autism to kick back in and keep me awake all night.

4. jezzab05

jezzab05 Full Member

No gym tonight so prepped a bunch of chicken and potatoes for mid-day meals for next couple of days. Was gonna roll around in the foam roller but felt ok by end of the day, probably do it tomorrow as hamstrings are feeling a little tight.

Quiet day at work, was more hungry than usual but staved it off with a can of white monster until dinner. Love that stuff.

Reckon I might run the reduced cals through til christmas and then up them for new year slowly back to maintenance and then a little extra and see how that goes from there.

Also gonna have to start some cardio soon 2 or three times a week. Haven't added any since the diet began so could be about time just to get things sped up a little for holiday.

5. jezzab05

jezzab05 Full Member

Slept great last night, woke up miles before alarm feeling good. Nice quick busy day at work then home for gym.

Deads. Warm up sets x 10 x 5 x 5 x 3
    Work set 3x3
    3 singles to increase weight for next session.
    Grip felt stronger today.

Form felt solid, back lifting with a more Olympic style deadlift as regular just plays havoc with my hips and back. Feel it in a nice controlled mannor pivoting from the glutes and hips this way with a good squeeze in the legs.

Used a band around the legs just above the knee as my left hip/glute area felt a bit inactive to start so find it helps keep things 'awake' so to speak. I do this with squats occasionally too.

RDL 2x5, 1x8
    Single arm DB rows 3x10

Bunch of pumpy stuff for arms, curls variations and skullcrushers. Solid pump.

Food done. Wind down then bed.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    PizzaLover likes this.
  6. jezzab05

jezzab05 Full Member

Early one this morning.

BB Bnp 2 - 3 warm up sets, 3 work sets. Reps up.
    Single arm bench rows SS in between.
    Incline DB press 2 sets
    Lateral raises banded 2 sets
    Bent laterals banded 2 sets

Bunch of press ups and conc. curls

Weight down 2lb past couple of days scales finally budged after weeks.

Food. Rest. Squats tomorrow. Should have pull up rig set up this week finally.

Got Endgame on dvd the other night so might have a Marvel marathon this afternoon.

7. JANIKvonD

JANIKvonD JandirTheJandirHandler Top Contributor

good luck with this mate. my only concern is the 'not chasing numbers'.. I don't understand how any progress can be made if this isn't at the forefront of any training program (weights or otherwise). we need to improve to progress.. it makes no sense to me not to track this & not aim to better this every session. it's pretty much my only scale of progress made : am I stronger that I was 6 months ago/a year ago/ 3 years ago? if the answer is 'no' or not much, then something has to change. don't be the guy just going through the motions. see you've dropped 20lb in 6 month, so cant be all bad

jezzab05, huntingground and noel like this.
  8. jezzab05

jezzab05 Full Member

At the moment I'm not concerned about big increases in strength as I'm on reduced calories and find it much harder to recover from lifting more weight each week, so any increase in weight progression will come as when I feel the weight to form ratio warrants it, ie; not just hoiking the weight from a to b for the sake of lifting more weight.
    When the weight gets easier and the reps go up, maybe add an extra set and then the weight will increase accordingly. So there is still progression, but I find progression can be a bit slower on reduced calories (especially as I havent dieted down this long in years) than with more fuel in the tank regularly.

At the moment it's purely an aesthetic thing (not that I'm pretty anyway ;) ) but end of year I will be looking to increase my calories and when that happens then the training will increase accordingly.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  9. jezzab05

jezzab05 Full Member

Band work/hip and ankle mobility stuff to warm up. Stiff as a board this evening.

Squats working up in sets of 3
    Work sets 3 sets of heavy doubles weight up on last week
    Stripped back for 3x5

Calf raise 3x30

Leg extension
    Warm up single and double leg few sets
    Work sets 3x12 failed at 10 on the 4th set

Done.

Felt like the body was craving some fat so just demolished a nice ribeye and some veg. Love fatty meat and had the calories to spare today so that will do nicely.

Slowly getting back to where I was before but a couple stone lighter. Better form, better condition, better approach to training and food in general.

GhostOf2Can likes this.
  10. jezzab05

jezzab05 Full Member

No work today, so kicked about all morning and fell asleep midafternoon on the couch for a deep 45 minutes, those ones where you wake up and like fuck how long was I out for kinda powernaps.
    Can of white monster, food and hit deads a bit after.

Band warm up mobility stuff.
    Deads. Working up sets x10 x 5 x 5 x 5 x 3 then 3x2 weight up on last, set from last weeks singles. Will keep that there next week and add more sets/reps.

RDL 3x8
    Single arm DB row 3x10
    Curls, extensions, dips.

Gear arrived today so will sort out what I'm doing with that and probs get cracking with it next week. Away for the weekend for birthday so couple of days downtime from work which is always a bonus.

11. PizzaLover

PizzaLover Full Member

How come you are not recording your weights as well?

12. PizzaLover

PizzaLover Full Member

Had to google white monster haha. Wonder wtf that was!

13. jezzab05

jezzab05 Full Member

I do in the log book.

14. jezzab05

jezzab05 Full Member

Haha, yeah just a sugar free energy drink. Not like a lefty cappucino or a San Diego thank you..

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  15. jezzab05

jezzab05 Full Member

3 hours sleep last night, ended up kipping on the couch to get some quiet sleep, missus tossing, turning and snoring kept me up til 4. Sleep better on the couch than in the bed anyway and its one of them nice simba ones too.

Dragging arse today at work. Preworkout arrived so thought I'd try that and that didn't even liven me up.

Gear in this morning 500 test e, 400 mast e, 400 tren e, one jab but will most likely split this into 2 every 4/5 days. Run for 6-8 weeks, then cruise til new year.

Couple of days rest coming up to wind down back at it sunday.

Fatbrah and GhostOf2Can like this.