Eggs

Discussion in 'Diet & Nutrition' started by huntingground, Jul 3, 2018.

1. huntingground

huntingground Pencillus Maximus Competitor

I love eggs and eat at least 6 a day and can eat 12+ easy in a day. Major source of protein and fats for me.

I buy large, free range eggs only. I have bought from all major supermarkets. I have just had 6 fried eggs (EVOO), 2 toast with butter and beans. I noticed instantly after cracking eggs that the yolks were dark orange. Now, I automatically think that the darker orange the yolk is, the more nutritional value it has.

What is interesting also is that the eggs were from Aldi. I find Aldi/Sainsburys to be dark orange and Lidl/Morrisons light yellow.

Q1 . Am I right in my assertion that the darker the yolk, the better? Nutritional differences?
    Q2 . Where do you buy eggs? Where is best for the dark yolks? Also where do I find double yolkers?

I Am The EggMan :lol:

zack likes this.

2. Fatbrah

Fatbrah TMuscle Fatministrator Top Contributor

Easter eggs itt

IrnBru, zack, Ash1981 and 1 other person like this.
  3. huntingground

Gav, zack and doink like this.
  4. Fatbrah

Also as a side note

The blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice

So yer i think your right regards your eggs idea

zack and huntingground like this.
  5. huntingground

One of my exes was African and she tasted sweet.

zack and Fatbrah like this.
  6. Fatbrah

Inb4 lenox lewis

7. pooley1810

pooley1810 Top Contributor

Don’t know if you’re right but I assume the same
    The darker yolks have always come from free range/organic eggs also locally sourced. So perhaps length of time in storage/transport makes a difference too. I’d assume the darker the yolk the better quality egg for these reasons
    As far as nutritional content I’d say it wouldn’t be any different, just better quality

zack and huntingground like this.
  8. Robbie

Robbie Top Contributor

Darker egg yolks don’t always mean better eggs, the colour comes from diet though so likely means it’s more nutritional - but you could just feed them more of the things that give that colour.

I’ve got 5 free range (but ex battery hens) who eat organic feed etc but their eggs aren’t quite that deep orange yet.

Mr mac and huntingground like this.
  9. RS86

RS86 Account Suspended

I think it could just be eggs from different breeds. My Dad keeps chickens and for example these are from the different breed of hens one morning

Screenshot_20180703-104037.png

zack, Reacher and huntingground like this.
  10. huntingground

The shells are different colours due to different breeds of course. What about yolks mate??

zack likes this.
  11. Fatbrah

7F018085-99E1-4F9C-A951-4F69CD1BCBD9.jpeg

RS86, TITO, lukeee and 7 others like this.
  12. RickJsy

RickJsy Crippled fat guy Top Contributor

It’s carotenoids in the hens’ diets that render the yolks darker or more orange.

It did used to be that battery hens produced paler yolks as a result of a largely corn-based diet (especially in the US, where most of the ‘health news’ tends to come from in the first place), but nowadays it’s not uncommon for battery hens to be fed diets that are fortified with beta carotene to darken the yolks.

Free-range eggs can and should vary as the hens are able to eat whatever they can forage, and that changes with the seasons (insect larvae are plentiful in spring but by late summer adult forms have emerged... more fallen seeds and fruits in autumn etc.) — all of which can alter fat content most profoundly, and fats tend to be where heavy pigment-type micronutrients (lycopene, carotenes, tocochromanols etc.) are stored in animal produce.

So it’s a reasonably reliable marker of a more nutritious egg, but it doesn’t mean the chook hasn’t been fed fortified commercial chicken feed to achieve it, if that matters to you.

RS86, Reacher, huntingground and 2 others like this.
  13. Robbie

Robbie Top Contributor

Supermarket eggs (unless they say otherwise) will always be from a hybrid breed of chicken because they lay the most eggs a year.

huntingground and RickJsy like this.
  14. doink

doink PhD in Bro Science

Yellower Eggs usually come from healthier hens. Free range always have a better colour than the cheap ones don’t they.

I buy happy eggs as it makes me feel better about eating chicken abortions.

Don’t feel guilty about eating cows as they’re weird, funny looking fuckers who look at me weird but eating chickens makes me feel bad as they seem a bit retarded and dim and they cute in their own little way. The way they walk about bobbing their heads.

Doesn’t sit well with me.

Still do it though as I can’t stand pork, probably eat it once a year when I fancy some crackling and usually throw the rest away.

Can do bacon though, life isn’t the same without bacon.

tomlet1 and RickJsy like this.
  15. doink

doink PhD in Bro Science

Bruh someone has replaced one of your eggs with a German army helmet.