Fat Burning On Machines

Pie ead

on bike and cross trainers etc if you stay under 120 bpm is that optimal to burn fat on an empty stomach after weight training or is it better to go all out for a good cardiovascular workout to burn fat after weights?

Go all out at a pace can maintain for the duration or just about maintain(a few mins of HIIT is pretty worthless) . If doing it around training then do it after not before. If can do it away from training then even better.

Kcal expenditure during cardio is what matters. No point going slower to try and use fat predominantly as a fuel source. Sounds the right thing to do but it's not.

It's all about elevating the HR for me.
This years leap in conditioning is heavily attributed to moving away from incline treadmill slow plod.
I went to cross trainer for the majority keeping the HR no lower than 130BPM. I often used the incline treadmill as a cool down for the final 10mins when HR would easily stay in the fat burning zone.

For me sprints have worked.

Find a hill/slope and run as fast as you can up it and then walk back down and repeat. I get my heart rate up to 160 at times but the more I do the better it's got (obviously) recovery time has drastically improved and fat has fallen off quickly

Back