1. Click here to see our list of sponsors. If you decide to use one of the companies listed, please support TMuscle by clicking on one of the links provided.

Fish Oils

Discussion in 'Supplements' started by simpplesi, May 18, 2017.

1. simpplesi

simpplesi

just wondering what fish oils people use? I've always used the super strength Ines from myprotein or bulkpowders but read up on purity and cheaper ones going rancid etc and ideally you want to buy ifos approved. So been using life extension super EPA/Dha but cost wise is about the same for 2 months but amount is a lot lower getting about 1.3g total. Would you go for supposed quality over total omega 3 intake?

2. deano110

deano110 Competitor

To me it comes down to your overall diet, if you have a diet consisting of a lot of Omega 6 fats then you should definitely go for the highest concentrated/strength Omega 3 as you can. I try and aim for a 1:1 ratio of Omega 3 and 6, although it's impossible for me to work out precisely to try and achieve this I supplement with a standard Omega 3 tablet and choose free range/grass fed eggs, meat and poultry where I can, opt for Brazil and Macadamia nuts over the more popular choices as they have a more favorable omega 3:6 ratio and I'll stay away from all cheap vegetable and hydrogenated oils.

The Life Extension contains the same total amount of EPA and DHA as MyProtein's standard Omega 3 product tablet for tablet but you're paying (from the quick search I did) around 4p per tab from MyProtein (based on 250 capsules for £9.99) and 8p per tab for Life Extension (based on 240 tabs for £20.21). Personally I trust the MyProtein range but I haven't really heard anything in regards to the purity and going rancid - have you got a link to this? I'm wondering whether by purity they're referring to manufacturers using other forms of Omega 3 aside from EPA and DHA as appose to the quality of the EPA and DHA used.

For reference the Super Omega 3 on MyProtein offers 620mg of EPA and DHA per tab and comes in around 13p per tab (based on 250 for £32.49) so you're better off buying their normal Omega 3 tablets and just doubling the serving size to get the same EPA and DHA and save on price.

simpplesi likes this.
  3. huntingground

huntingground Angel of Death Competitor

How advanced are you? If super advanced, then worry about the small details.

If not, spend the extra money saved on buying the cheaper ones, on gear and food. Would be a wiser investment IMO.

Ronin and Tommy6 like this.
  4. roy@/_

roy@/_ Mr Intensity 2017 Top Contributor

The BP super strength ones have Vit E in them mate to prevent this happening mate. The MP ones dont.

Dig likes this.
  5. Dig

Dig Mod & Powerlifting Expert Moderator

I go with this, is a bit expensive and the only supp i really 'pay out for' but it has certainly helped bump up my HDL levels.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nordic-Nat...7519&sr=8-3&keywords=nordic naturals fish oil

AFAIK can still go rancid after a time even with a decent dose of vit e, so i prefer the plain liquid as easy to tell if this is the case. Keep them in the fridge as well.

Plastic tubs and no Vit E would be a no go for me, much easier to go rancid so as @roy@/_ said get ones with vit e (also labelled as d alpha tocopherol).

tomlet1 and roy@/_ like this.
  6. roy@/_

roy@/_ Mr Intensity 2017 Top Contributor

There is some interesting stuff wrt to krill oil having a greater impact on HDL than other fish oils...actudlly i can't remember if it was same effect at lower dose or just straight up more effective ha ha

I'll try and find the info.

Dig likes this.
  7. Ronin

Ronin Top Contributor

Like huntinground said, cheap 1s from morrisons for me atm id rather save my money for steak and test lol

huntingground likes this.
  8. noel

noel Top Contributor

go with budget
    mrs bought those ones. I had used NOW before....the ultra high DHA/EPA ones.....they work out cheaper and are heavy metal free/low heavy metals etc .....
    put priorities

Tren and GH
    Food
    Supps

LOL

huntingground likes this.
  9. chrissy_boy

chrissy_boy Top Contributor

Just me maybe but I don't trust them dusty rancid capsules.

Eat mackerel, salmon or whatever. All fish oil supps repeat on you which I reckon means they are rancid

Or buy seven seas liquid. Easy to neck

10. chrissy_boy

chrissy_boy Top Contributor

@TinyTim is well versed in this topic

11. simpplesi

simpplesi

Thanks for the input, just ordered some gonutrition super omega which has vit e in and 700mg omega per two tabs which works out cheaper than bp as there's 1000 tabs of the gonutrition just means taking a few more a day.

jrichards30 likes this.