Fitness kitchen - feed your body

Recipe of the day - nigella's cheats and treats chocolate peanutbutter cheesecake

Nigella Cheats - Peanut butter Cheesecake

OK....anyone who loves cheesecake and a favourite healthy fat, peanut butter, this is a must do recipe classic nigella indulgence

Chocolate peanut butter cheesecake

I feel a bit apologetic for the overindulgent vulgarity that is this cheesecake here. But, really, why should I be sorry? You won’t be once you’ve eaten it; though perhaps I should warn that it’s not for the faint-hearted. Unashamed indulgence, wallowingly so, is what this recipe is all about.

Ingredients

For the base
For the filling
For the topping
Preparation method
  1. Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3.
  2. For the base, process the biscuits, peanuts, dark chocolate chips and butter in a food processor. Once the mixture comes together in a clump, turn it out into a 23cm/9in springform tin and press it into the bottom of the tin and up the sides, using your fingers, to make a crunchy crust. Chill in the fridge while you make the filling.
  3. For the filling, process the cream cheese, eggs and egg yolks, sugar, soured cream and peanut butter in a food processor, whizzing to a smooth mixture.
  4. Pour and scrape the filling mixture into the cheesecake base in the chilled springform tin and cook for 1 hour, checking after 50 minutes. The top – only – should feel set and dry. When cooked, take the cheesecake out of the oven while you make the topping.
  5. For the topping, warm the soured cream and chocolate chips with the brown sugar gently in a small saucepan over a low heat, whisking to blend in the chocolate as it melts. Once the mixture is melted and well combined, take off the heat.
  6. Spoon and spread the topping very gently over the top of the cheesecake, being as careful as you can in case you break the surface of the cheesecake. (Not that anything bad will happen; you’ll just have chocolate marbling the cake a bit.) Put it back in the oven for a final 10 minutes.
  7. Once out of the oven, let the cheesecake cool completely in its tin, then cover and put into the fridge overnight. When you are ready to eat the cheesecake, take it out of the fridge slightly in advance, just to take the chill off: this will make it easier to spring from the tin. Don’t let it get too warm, though, as it will become a bit gooey and be hard to slice.

Fresh Peanut Butter Ice cream

An ice cream recipe we can all use
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Fresh Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Ingredients:

1 banana
1 (or more) white nectarine (peaches, strawberries, cantaloupe, etc..)
1/2 cup greek yogurt or cottage cheese (no salt added)
2T creamy natural peanut butter (can omit for a nonfat ice cream)
2-4T vanilla soymilk (as needed)
2-3T cocoa powder (optional)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional, for the gym rats like myself)
Instructions:
1. Prep the fruit. Peel the banana, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze until rock-solid, about 4 hours but preferably overnight. Wash nectarine and remove pit, cut into at least 4 chunks and freeze in a sealed plastic bag for 4 hours or preferably overnight. If using a fruit other than nectarines, wash thoroughly and remove any pits, seeds or stems and cut into small chunks before freezing.
2. Break the banana into 4-6 chunks and drop into the blender. Add the yogurt or cottage cheese, peanut butter, 2T soymilk and any of the optional ingredients. Process until a smooth consistency is achieved. You may need to stop the blender several times to mix or scoop down the sides with a spoon.
Note: The more room-temperature optional ingredients you add the thinner the mixture gets. Therefore, you’ll need to add more frozen fruit to thicken it which will lead to a larger batch of ice cream, not a bad thing really. You can freeze any excess, but you need to let it thaw for about 20-30 minutes to achieve an edible consistency – but even then it’s a little bit icy. Best enjoyed fresh.
3. Add the frozen nectarine chunks (or whatever fruit you are using) and process until smooth and consistency is very similar to soft serve ice cream.
Note: Stopping the blender several times to help the process along is normal. If the fruit is pureed and the mixture is too thin and melted, add more frozen fruit to make it thicker. Add more milk only if the mixture is too thick to process (shouldn’t be the case, you want it really thick).
4. Pour into a large mug and eat with a large spoon (it should be so thick that it isn’t really “drinkable”). Top with crunchy cereal or granola – I use a mixture of 1/2 Kashi GoLean and 1/2 Kashi GoLean Crunch.

PLEASE NOTE: In the recipe instructions the capital T stands for TABLESPOON lower case t stands for teaspoon.

Cheat Day White Chocolate Cheesecake
Lou's White Chocolate Cheesecake

9" loose bottom cake tin
Grease proof paper

The Base

1 small packet (15-20 biscuits) of 'Nice' biscuits
1 small packet (15-20 biscuits) of Malted Milk biscuits
2 tbsp desicated coconut
125 grams unsalted butter

The Cheese Mix

300 grams White Chocolate
800 grams Full Fat Cream Cheese
6 tbsp Caster Sugar
5 sheets Gelatin

Method

Line tin with greaseproof paper

Crush the packets of bicuits to a fine crumbs and add the coconut
Melt the butter and add to the biscuit and coconut mix and mix well until crumb is 'sticky'
Press the mix firmly into the bottom of the tin and put in the fridge to set

Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over a simmering pan of water
While the chocolate is melting put the sheets of gelatin in cold water to soak.
Next put the cream cheese in a mixing bowl with the Caster sugar and mix well, when the chocolate has melted add the chocolate to the cheese mix.
The gelatin should now be ready (remove sheets from the water and squeeze gently) to melt in a saucepan once the gelatin has melted take the pan off the heat and add the cheese/chocolate mix to the pan and mix very well.

Once the base has set add the cheese mix to the base and let the cheesecake set in the fridge .

Remove from the tin and serve sliced into fingers with a fresh Strawberry or Raspberry compote.....

Lou

Reactions: kez
This just tastes great - especially when you need a NO SUGAR NO SALT variety because your dieting
biggrin.gif

Ingredients:-

250gr Roasted unsalted peanuts
125gr Roasted unsalted Almonds with skins on
125gr Raw unsalted Cashews
2 tsp Groundnut oil (peanut oil)

Put nuts in the food processor and process until finely ground and becoming sticky add 1 tsp of oil and let processor run at a slow speed for about 10 minutes then add the other teaspoon of oil letting the processor run until the nut butter just 'runs' over the blades the consistency of a nut butter.
It does take a bit of patience but you will have a no junk nut butter in about 30 or so minutes.
04.gif

The mixture will become hot during the process so let it cool before putting it in a food container.
04.gif

Bon Appetit

So The Fitness Kitchen Thread has started to be populated - try the recipes and tell me and others what you think!! More recipes are on the way....

Look forward to more of your suggestions. Fire Away!!

Bon Appetit

Lou XX

Is there anything you can do with peanut butter, chocolate and cream cheese???? ;0)

Probably a bit of a long shot Lou, but would you have a recipe that would make something akin to CNP pro dessert? But cheaper obviously?

I have been using quark, with a few drops of the MP flavour drops, but it isn't quite the same.[/QUOT
Now this would be a great idea as i love pro dessert :)

Would also be nice to get some nice keto meals up too and some ideas from other people as to what they have because sometimes it can get bloody boring eating the some old meals each day for weeks and weeks lol

Scotch Mince - Everything a Bodybuilder needs

You did read right its Scotch Mince and NOT Scotch Mist..... I like mince its a versatile meat with many uses.

I thought this recipe was good start with, it made me smile when I found the base recipe as it has three of the very basic bodybuilding nutritional cornerstones, meat, porridge and olive oil.....naturally I have tweeked it and made it bodybuilder friendly

Scotch Mince

Ingredients per 4 portions
500 g lean minced beef/steak
2tbsp olive oil or ground nut oil
1 small onion, chopped
30 g porridge oats
2 beef stock cubes
450 ml water
salt and pepper, to taste

Heat large skillet on a mediumd heat and put in the 2 tbsp oil, add the onion ( add a little salt so the onion doesn't burn) and fry until soft, then add the mince
Cook until the mince is browned then add the oats and cook for a further 5 minutes on a medium heat
Stir in the crumbled stock cubes, add the water and bring to a boil. Keep stirring constantly.

Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.

Cover with a lid and simmer for 1 hour.

Serve with your favourite veggies or tatties and neeps

Bon Apettit

Lou X

Americana at its best! Who does not enjoy a good burger..... well if you don't, burger off and find a different recipe to mull over :lol:
Did you know that the average consumer will eat aproximately 100 burgers a year? Most of them from fast food outlets such as McDonalds.....they sell 75 burgers every second. Fries with that?

Anyhow here is a simple but fabulous recipe for a wholesome homemade burger....healthy Americana on a plate.

Ingredients
  • 500g pack lean minced beef/steak
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • olive oil, for brushing
  • 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled
  • dash malt vinegar
  • 4 tbsp light mayonnaise
  • Mustard to taste (American, Dijon, English or wholegrain)
  • 1 beefsteak tomato , cut into 4 slices
  • 1 red onion sliced into rings
  • 1⁄2 iceberg lettuce , divided into leaves
  • 2 large wholemeal baps (Optional)
Method

1. Mix together the minced beef and enough beaten egg to bind it together, seasoning with salt and pepper. Divide the mince into four, shaping and pressing each into a burger. Heat a grill pan or the grill. Brush the burgers with the oil and cook for 6-7 mins on each side (using a baking tray if beneath the grill) for medium.
  2. Meanwhile, cut the cucumber into thick slices. Put the slices in a bowl and season with salt, pepper. Add a small splash of malt vinegar and mix well. Stir together the mayonnaise and the chosen mustard.
  3. Present the burgers on the tomato slices, topping with the mustard mayonnaise, cucumber slices and onion rings. Finish with the burger on an iceberg leaf, topping with another leaf, if you prefer.
  4. Alternatively add the burger and salad to a large wholemeal bap for your carbs.

Bon Apettit

Lou XX

Asian food has such a broad range of flavours, textures and aromas so as to delight the senses. BUT with Asian food when you look closely at how it is constructed foods are always well balanced in a karmic kind of way.
I love reading new recipes and experimenting in the kitchen the challenge always being to tweek, improve, add my own twist, however on this occasion I have found a very well balanced dish in the Thai Rice noodle salad as the nutrtional data at the end of the recipe shows.

Thai Rice noodle Salad

Ingredients
  • ½ a 250g pack fine vermicelli rice noodles
  • 200g bag beansprouts
  • zest and juice 2 limes
  • 2-3 tbsp fish or soy sauce , to taste
  • 1 tsp muscovado sugar or soft brown sugar (these sugars are unrefined)
  • 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 2 Little Gem lettuce hearts, leaves separated and roughly torn
  • 1tbsp sesame oil
  • 500g minced pork/beef/turkey
  • small knob grated ginger
  • pinch cayenne pepper
  1. Place the noodles and beansprouts in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 4 mins, or until the noodles are tender. Drain, then cool under cold running water and drain again. Return to the bowl.
  2. Stir together the lime zest and juice, fish or soy sauce and sugar. Stir into the noodles with the red onion and lettuce.
  3. Heat the sesame oil in a non-stick frying pan and stir-fry 500g minced pork, a small knob of grated ginger and pinch cayenne pepper or chilli powder for 10 mins, until the mince is browned and cooked through. Mix into the noodles, divide between four bowls and serve warm.
300 kcalories, protein 30g, carbohydrate 34g, fat 10g, saturated fat 0g, fibre

More Mince.....

Simple but effective - delicious and nutritious. Feed your muscle Indian style :)

Indian Mince with Fresh Tomato Salad

1 red onion sliced
300g beef mince
2 tbsp medium or mild curry powder
100g dried red lentils
700ml hot beef stock
3 tomatoes
handful coriander leaves
4 mini naan bread

Method
  1. In a non-stick frying pan, dry-fry onion and mince over a high heat for 2 mins, breaking up the mince as you go. Stir in the curry powder and lentils, pour in stock, then cook over a low to medium heat for 10-15 mins.
  2. While the mince is cooking, dice the tomatoes and roughly chop the coriander, then mix together in a small bowl. Put the naans briefly in a toaster to warm through, then pop one on each plate. Spoon a quarter of the mince over each naan, then top with a spoonful of the fresh tomato and coriander salad.
Nutrtional Data:
444 kcalories, protein 30g, carbohydrate 45g, fat 17 g

Bon Apettit

Lou X

Hello my cookery darlings....I noticed from Prodivers thread a concern about using jarred mayonaisse

So to fill the recipe gap here is a recipe for homemade mayo....very simple but the trick is to keep beating it with an electric whisk or good food processor to stop the mayo from splitting.

Ingredients

2 egg yolks
300ml ground nut oil
1tsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice
1 level tsp of salt
white pepper to taste
1tbsp boiling water

Method

Put yolks in a bowl with vinegar or lemon juice, add the salt and the pepper

Mix these ingredients until emulsified

While the mixer is still running very gradually drizzle in the oil keep mixing until the mixture becomes light in colour and thick

Once the mayo is thick add the tablespoon of boiling water.

The mayo can be kept in a sealed container for NO MORE than a week.

Bon Appetit

Lou

Made my own mayo today, added some crushed garlic, it's amazing how much 2 eggs makes!

Lovely stuff. Cant wait to have some with my dinner tonight!

Back