Frozen chicken question

will_i_am

Banned
Took some frozen chicken breasts out of the Freezer sunday night, left them to de-frost over night, they have been in the fridge from monday morning.

Okay to cook them tomorrow?

Sniff them and see. Normally chicken goes a very strange light brown colour and smells like a donkeys ass!

Otherwise yeh go for it.

Yep, smell is your best bet. Will depend on how much date was left on them when they were froze I'd imagine. I once cooked some dodgy ones without knowing it... when I opened the oven door I was almost sick. Freshly opened packet and in-date as well.

Like to two above smell it and check for colour. My guess is that it should be fine but i wouldn't keep it in there much longer.

I'm always worried about chicken as i had salmonella when i was younger and it wasn't nice and it was during the school summer holidays.

IIRC smell isn't actually a very good indicator with chicken so I wouldn't rely on this, however I would probably cook the chicken as long as it wasn't out too long before being frozen in the first place. Wouldn't leave it any longer though.

I would say it is fine depending if it was quite fresh when it was frozen. If i defrost something and have it in the fridge for more than one day I make sure to give it quick rinse in cold water and get on with cooking it properly.

Back