1. Click here to see our list of sponsors. If you decide to use one of the companies listed, please support TMuscle by clicking on one of the links provided.

High Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Taylorgym91, Nov 13, 2017 at 10:40 PM.

1. doink

doink PhD in Bro Science Top Contributor

Went Natty mate.

Now I’m gear Jesus here to preach to the masses about staying alive like a heavenly Barry Gibb.

Tommy6 and JANIKvonD like this.

2. Taylorgym91

Taylorgym91 Full Member

That's the plan mate. @Sjundea has been really helpful and I've got an idea of what to do now! Will monitor it over the next couple of weeks and keep an eye on it!

Tommy6 and Sjundea like this.
  3. Johnsholtodouglas

Johnsholtodouglas Full Member

@ OP...

The general reason gear raises BP is as a result of water retention. So as your course progresses, and your saturation levels increase, IF you suffer from water retention...then that will probably cause your BP to raise a little.

Gear aside, everyone should monitor their BP as a matter of course. It causes hardening of the arteries....and, well....death.

I work behind a desk which is very bad for BP, sitting causes the blood flow to become sluggish and the heart has to pump harder, thus raising BP. I now go for 2 x 15 minute ‘power walks’ each day, have monitored BP before and after...and the walks lower it.

Other things which help are:

1) reducing salt intake by checking what is in the ingredients of the foods you buy. It’s shocking how much salt is put in manufactured foods.

2) reducing alcohol intake

3) adding fresh fruit and veg to your diet

4) increase mobility/cardio (marathon not required, just regular).

5) Avoid caffeine/coffee. My BP spikes after coffee, so I limit myself to that one most beautiful cup of the day....at breakfast, just to get me going. I don’t have any caffeine after that each day.

If you go through all the sensible precautions and don’t get it below 135/85 then seek medical attention. A good medication is Bisoprolol 1.25mg tablets. They are very mild, have very few side effects, and can drop BP quite well.

Your BP clearly needs controlling whether you are on gear or not, you have hereditary problems. Once it’s sorted, and if you keep the water retention from gear under control, you should be able to enjoy the gear regardless.

Dtlv likes this.
  4. Taylorgym91

Taylorgym91 Full Member

Thanks mate, appreciate you going into all that detail! I've worked behind a desk for the last 3 years so that could well have added to it! I start a new job next week which involves me being on my feet all day so that might help also! I literally started my first cycle 3 days ago so the plan is to get the BP under control before the gear actually kicks in. That way I can monitor throughout and adjust accordingly. After talking to some of the guys on here I have a good idea where to start now. I know it's definitely not alcohol/smoking/high salt/high body fat etc as none of them apply. Thanks again!

5. Dtlv

Dtlv Moderator Moderator

Since high BP is a family issue not identified as secondary to anything else, then it of course falls under the bracket of elementary hypertension - more specifically stage 1 elementary hypertension with your particular readings.

@Johnsholtodouglas recommendations above are basically exactly the lifestyle modifications that are recommended and help, in addition to a low fat diet.

For fruit and veg and other dietary considerations, specifically look to include foods that have a reasonable potassium content. Decent link here - https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/tc/high-potassium-foods-topic-overview

For herbals, hibiscus teas, celery, beetroot juice, cocoa and garlic are all good. For non-herbals, arginine, citrulline, co enzyme q-10 and fish oils are all helpful.

I would try these things according to what you can realistically incorporate into your diet, budget etc, and see how you respond by making incremental changes. Ideally don't add a lot of different supplements at once, try one at a time and monitor for a few weeks before adding anything else, but since you are getting on cycle already, you may want to add two at a time. You want to control your BP with minimal reliance on different things and you also don't want to overshoot.

It is also however worth mentioning that some people with elementary hypertension simply don't respond well enough to even a perfect diet and set of lifestyle adjustments so, if this turns out to be you, don't be shy about seeking pharmacological help. You should always try the lifestyle and dietary adjustments first though, just in case that's enough.

6. Taylorgym91

Taylorgym91 Full Member

Started walking every morning for 45 minutes, I have 2 dogs so this is fairly easy to keep to and keeps the Mrs happy! Also started hibiscus tea at 4 cups a day and Hawthorne berry tabs. Hopefully will be able to report back in a couple of weeks with some lower readings! Will be monitoring it daily. Thanks for all the advice and support on this thread!

Sjundea likes this.
  7. Sjundea

Sjundea Top Contributor

give it a few days and the hibiscus will improve it massively.

Taylorgym91 likes this.
  8. Getbig25

Getbig25 Top Contributor

I have high BP mate. Also runs in my family and doesn’t help I run gear.

My doc has me on meds and bloods done every 6 weeks. Also sent me for kidney scans etc to make sure all is well

9. Taylorgym91

Taylorgym91 Full Member

Does your doc know about the gear mate?

10. Getbig25

Getbig25 Top Contributor

Hell no haha

Taylorgym91 likes this.