Hip Thrust Vs Squat/deadlift

Do you believe that hip thrusts works the gluteus more than deep squat and romanian deadlift like few research says? What do you think about that?

You'll never see anyone with a big squat have a small arse, same for bench and chest even though they may not be the most *effective* exercises.

Paul Carter has various posts saying squats are not a glute or ham movement to any real extent

My arse is huge. Didn’t used to be before lifting

Never done a hip thrust in my life. Only squatted and deadlifted

Ask Paul Carter how that happened will ya

Mine is aswell and never done a hip thrust, didn't even know what one was either til I looked it up. I thought he was on about shaggin. After every leg session I can't even sit on the shitter without wincing cos of the arse doms

Weirdly as most know my legs have never been huge, but my arse def was bigger when I was squatting religiously and heavy for me.

Paul Carter has various posts saying squats are not a glute or ham movement to any real extent
Think it depends on how you're built. I have very long femurs so squats are mainly a glute, ham and lower back exercise for me. Barely hit quads at all compared to something like leg press. Paul Carter seems like a bit of a thicko tbh

Hi guys, I’m glad to see so many answers, I really appreciated that. It seems like most of you agree to the fact that compound exercise are better for developing the overall body than isolation exercises, and that is what I always thought. However when I developed back pain my physiotherapist suggested me the hip thrusts exercise because he said that my pain was caused by my weak gluteus and specifically the medius gluteus. This is why I was wondering how is possible that I’ve been doing squat (at the parallel) and deadlifts for many years and have weak gluteus!? It doesn’t make too much sense for me..

Do you believe that hip thrusts works the gluteus more than deep squat and romanian deadlift like few research says? What do you think about that?
instead of doing pussy exercises like "hip thrusts" do some Lunges.

Hi guys, I’m glad to see so many answers, I really appreciated that. It seems like most of you agree to the fact that compound exercise are better for developing the overall body than isolation exercises, and that is what I always thought. However when I developed back pain my physiotherapist suggested me the hip thrusts exercise because he said that my pain was caused by my weak gluteus and specifically the medius gluteus. This is why I was wondering how is possible that I’ve been doing squat (at the parallel) and deadlifts for many years and have weak gluteus!? It doesn’t make too much sense for me..
Listen to your physio. Bringing up weak links is the whole point of assistance and isolation exercises. You might be a very quad dominant squatter.

Listen to your physio. Bringing up weak links is the whole point of assistance and isolation exercises. You might be a very quad dominant squatter.
Yes I’m following the physio advice for now:)although my back pain is decreased only a little bit.
I think you are right because I actually feel like my quads are too contracted and are doing most of the work. So if that is the case it could mean that my hamstrings might be too weak? If so I’ll definitely continue to do hip thrusts (and increasing the weight gradually) which seems to work the hamstring quite a lot and also try to do squat barefoot and see if it helps. Thanks for the tips

Back