Hitting The Bag For Beginners

Discussion in 'Training Information' started by Penguin'sreturn, Aug 1, 2020 at 1:51 PM.

1. Penguin'sreturn

Penguin'sreturn Full Member

Alright boys and girls.

Not even titling this 'boxing' for beginners as it's nothing of the sort. The Mrs is coming to the gym with me every Sunday and the gym has a bag room, no sparring allowed just heavy bags, speed bags etc. She used to do martial arts a few years ago but fucked the disks in her back.

Anyhow she just wants to hit the bags at the end of a session to get a bit of fitness back, take some anger out and just purely for fun. I have no boxing background at all so no idea on this hence the question.

Already decided she'll just need standard, all round velcro training gloves. No lace ups, nothing fancy as literally it will just be hits and kicks on a bag. My question is do you reckon she'll need hand wraps? I've read up on it and camps seem totally split, many say no that's for the more advanced and some say yes all the time as it protects the knuckles and impact on wrists. Any input from people who actually know? No guesswork please that's been my job lol.

Again will say this is nothing more than twatting a bag. No aspiring boxing career or anything like that. I would have said no but then I hear the argument wraps will protect her wrists regardless what stage she is at it's made me think twice so any experienced advice? @noel you are/were a fighter aren't you?

2. GhostOf2Can

GhostOf2Can Top Contributor

Penguin'sreturn likes this.
  3. Penguin'sreturn

Top man this is what I thought, I should research less lol heard loads saying no everyone NEEDS wraps to protect wrists. That's literally all she'll be doing is twatting the bag for fun probably imagining its me. Nice one mate

GhostOf2Can likes this.
  4. Afghan

Afghan Top Contributor

I use my bare knuckles cos im well ard la

GhostOf2Can and Penguin'sreturn like this.
  5. Penguin'sreturn

Quick question mate they're a mint price on that link but I've always gone off ounces with gloves, they just say small medium and large. I'm assuming most women are a small and someone like you is a large, do you know the ounces?

6. GhostOf2Can

GhostOf2Can Top Contributor

Ounces wise it may possibly be 4oz but I’m not sure

If she’s a petite lady I would think small would be ok

Alternatively order medium and small and just send one back?

You deffo don’t want to be wearing mitts or gloves that don’t fit as you can seriously damage your hand

Id order both and try for size

7. Penguin'sreturn

Got it nice one

8. Greedy Ben

Greedy Ben Top Contributor

I'd say yes to cotton gauze wraps/elec tape to fasten and 12oz sparring gloves - for a man. Maybe a touch lighter for women or is that sexist?

She may not develop enough power (without coaching) to actually hurt her hands but if she twats the back awkwarldy as its swinging towards her it could easily sprain a wrist. Same goes for blokes too.

Start with the jab, cross and foot positioning/movement.
    My mate Olly has some decent vids on his YT channel

Penguin'sreturn and Robbie like this.
  9. noel

noel Moderator

If you can’t wrap hands properLy you can do more Damage than good. Easy to get some extra padding with the slip on wraps that are around or use a big pair of gloves like 16/18 if your a big heavy lad and just make sure you form a fist correctly (care with the thumb) and just enjoy. It’s much ,ike anything a little bit of coaching will go a long way but for a bit of cardio and tension relieving just have a go. Usually if your in a gym will be someone experienced to give a few pointers or watch a you tube vid.

for ladies 10/12 oz gloves. They do vary from brand to brand. With the size. Wrist pulled in and thumb the same as above

Penguin'sreturn and Greedy Ben like this.
  10. Sjundea

Sjundea Top Contributor

Feel free to hit up LDL or watch his YT tutorials with a fridge @Penguin'sreturn

11. Penguin'sreturn

Cheers. Its actually for her, I don't have a boxing background or out like that. There is a guy at mine who's a very good fighter, kickboxing, boxing, mma etc. And while he's certainly a good teacher he seemed to be having his own angle on selling me stuff as he owns his own gym too purely for boxing/mma. Like I said he certainly knows his shit but after explaining to him it's just a bit of fun and not training to fight Tyson Fury he still seemed like he was overcomplicating things to me in order to make a sale.

Like I told him she just wants to twat the bag and he slipped in his Mrs charges £25 a session for PTing lol.

12. Penguin'sreturn

Still makes my blood boil that cunt I lost my shit last time I was on

phani tikkala, Greedy Ben and Sjundea like this.
  13. Penguin'sreturn

Yeah I know what you mean she'll have to get her punching technique right. In fairness she did do martial arts before we met so she probably knows more than me haha

Greedy Ben likes this.
  14. phani tikkala

phani tikkala Dixie Normous Top Contributor

You were a raging bull :lol:

tenor (37).gif

15. Penguin'sreturn

Some say I taught De Niro his method acting for the aforementioned film but I'm a modest man and let the people decide.