1. While members here are knowledgeable, they are not doctors and are not able to diagnose or recommend treatment for medical conditions. Please consult a health care professional rather than risk your health.
    Dismiss Notice

Hormone Imbalance - Estrogen And Prolactin

Discussion in 'Injuries, Health & Personal Care' started by Edd, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Edd

Edd Full Member

Last summer I took a hormone test as a general health check and also on advice of people in a hairloss group who recommend to get diet perfect and then get hormones tested to help diagnose where hairloss might be coming from.

I found oestrogen and prolactin were too high (both about double the top end of the normal range).

For some reason at the time I thought oestrogen and prolactin were related, so I took Tamoxifen for 6 months and did another test. This time oestrogen was fine, but prolactin remained at double the high end of the range.

To try and keep it a fair test, I didn’t remove Tamoxifen but added Cabergoline. I’ve been taking that at the recommended medical dose for treating high prolactin for 2 months now.

At this point I’m thinking about doing another test. Assuming now all my hormones are balanced, all I’ll know from that test is that when taking Tamoxifen and Cabergoline, I’m fine. But then what? Do these meds actually fix the problem and allow you to come off and expect to remain at normal levels? Or am I only good when using them?

I'm 32 my diet is perfect I’m very strict, and I exercise, haven’t used any steroids for over 2 years, so I can’t think of any other contributors that would help me here.

I don't know how relevant this is but I also have gyno which I'm thinking about having removed. I know this will have been caused by the hormone imbalance but I've also read that all the time you have it, just having it will raise estrogen. Seems like an odd vicious circle and not sure how accurate this is.

Has anyone else had odd hormone levels that they’ve recovered from in a similar situation?

2. godsgifttoearth

godsgifttoearth Full Member

Prolactin can shoot up with stress alone. Things like T3 will also fire it up as its inducing catabolic stress.

Your hormones are a constantly shifting system of negative feedback loops. If you mess with one, it usually has a knock on effect. Usually the best course of action is to get the main ones in range and then just leave the fuck alone. If your estrogen and free test are in range and you have no other actual issues, leave it alone.

Estrogen and prolactin weren't doing anything to your hairline. Technically estrogen would have helped as it had a thickening effect on the follicle.

Rob and huntingground like this.
  3. Edd

Edd Full Member

Thanks for your help on this.

It wasn't just high, it was way high, and on both tests (6 months apart) so I'm quite confident it wasn't coincidence.

I am now in range for estrogen and free test, but only because I'm using Tamoxifen. I'm guessing Tamoxifen doesn't fix this for the long term, and if I stop taking it, it'll go back down to low test high estrogen?

If I were to stop taking tamoxifen and cabergoline, how long would you recommend I leave it before taking a blood test that I can be sure is completely fair and uninfluenced by the tamoxifen and caber?

4. godsgifttoearth

godsgifttoearth Full Member

At least 8 weeks. This will require you to be very accountable for your own stress levels and not suffer from any cognitive bias and convince yourself that your mood, libido etc is off.

Its a really slippy slope. You get stuck in a vicious circle of taking a pill to fix what another pill is doing.

Back to prolactin, you can have chronically high prolactin from the stress in your life alone. Higher levels of prolactin doesnt always do anything. Typically it will drop Total T and that might cause issues. In a lot of cases total t drops but free T is within range so its never an issue. So make sure any test you get includes free T.

Rob likes this.