How many sets is enough?

Straughany

Consectatio Excellentiae
Top Contributor
Only had 35 mins to train today so went to gym for a quick chest session.

I managed to get in:

2 warm up sets on bench. (16 reps)
Followed by 5 sets (22 reps due to aiming for 5x5)

I then done 3 sets of incline dumbell bench (13 reps)

Rep range on DB press were low as I jumped up 5 weight sizes due to other weights not been abvailable.

Anyway that's all I had time to do before I had to leave for work.
My chest feels stiff and feels worked but I'm now sitting here thinking is that enough.

So how many do you do/what do you think is enough?

Long story short, it depends on the load.

Looks like you have worked in a rep range your not used too on the incline, so that will provide stimulus your not used to which will IMO 'be enough'

more than i do for chest on push day ;)

weight used, intensity, form, tut, rest periods etc are all factors to consider.

Focus on the quality of each set rather than the quantity of sets.
3 perfectly performed sets to failure (time under tension at least 30 seconds) will go a lot further than 10 "average gym user sets".

3 perfectly performed sets to failure (time under tension at least 30 seconds) will go a lot further than 10 "average gym user sets".

Refreshing to see someone actually state a time under tension timed period.

many say tut session but without saying tempo, so like 4010 = 5 second rep, 4 seconds neg, 1 second con 12 reps 60 second set.

When I do time under tension I normally actually aim for 3011 so a slight pause at top.

rambling again danny boy

many say tut session but without saying tempo, so like 4010 = 5 second rep, 4 seconds neg, 1 second con 12 reps 60 second set.

When I do time under tension I normally actually aim for 3011 so a slight pause at top.

rambling again danny boy

:lol: mate excuse my ignorance but what does 4010 and 3011 mean.

con, i know you say 3 to failure but what rep range should failure be in your opinion, like i say i had to jump up 5 weight sizes on the DBs incline bench and the 3 sets were 6/4/3 and failed each one, now is that to heavy for me and should i drop a weight (if its available) and aim for failure at say 7/8?

:lol: mate excuse my ignorance but what does 4010 and 3011 mean.

It is tempo of each rep.

the first number will be the lowering portion
the second number would be a pause at the bottom
the third number is the upward/concentric phase
the 4th number is pause at top

So 2111 would be 2 seconds lower, 1 sec pause, 1 second up, 1 second pause etc

here is an article Ten Things You Should Know About Tempo Training | Poliquin Article

thing is with tempo is best to use it as a method, so if you fancied a certain tempo try stick with it for a while and see how you respond.

It is tempo of each rep.

the first number will be the lowering portion
the second number would be a pause at the bottom
the third number is the upward/concentric phase
the 4th number is pause at top

So 2111 would be 2 seconds lower, 1 sec pause, 1 second up, 1 second pause etc

here is an article Ten Things You Should Know About Tempo Training | Poliquin Article

thing is with tempo is best to use it as a method, so if you fancied a certain tempo try stick with it for a while and see how you respond.

cheers mate al give that a read.
Dunno if i could do it though because as much as i can lower slowly i cant push up fast, it takes me a few seconds to get each rep up :lol:

cheers mate al give that a read.
Dunno if i could do it though because as much as i can lower slowly i cant push up fast, it takes me a few seconds to get each rep up :lol:

That doesnt matter mate, tempo can be varied to your preference, no rules set in stone

I mean based on what you said you could do 3120 so thats 3 secs down, pause, 2 seconds up as you said then back down.

So each rep there is like 6 seconds so 5 reps would be 30 seconds in which is what con suggested to be above

I go for between 60 and 100 per muscle depending on how i feel that day, 60 is enough... 100 is a lot

That doesnt matter mate, tempo can be varied to your preference, no rules set in stone

I mean based on what you said you could do 3120 so thats 3 secs down, pause, 2 seconds up as you said then back down.

So each rep there is like 6 seconds so 5 reps would be 30 seconds in which is what con suggested to be above

sounds good that mate, i'll give that article a read.

rambling again danny boy

Slow down ( 2-4 seconds depending on the movement) and then fast back up.
Reps any where between 8-12 for 90% of workouts.

Back