How Old Were You When You Noticed A Difference In How You Responded To The Gym?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GhostOf2Can, Jan 7, 2022.

1. GhostOf2Can

GhostOf2Can Top Contributor

One for the oldies

As the thread title states gents. What age did it all start going downhill?

I was 37 last month and I think I’m starting to notice it

I pulled 325kg on the deadlift very back end of 2019 which was an all time PB and maintained that strength level the first half of 2020.
    But I’ve eased off a bit the last 4 months and I’ve lost a lot of strength and I’m struggling to get it back

Upper body is fine, I’m referring to squat and deadlift

I’ll get it back, I’ve no doubt of that but I’m really struggling and that was never the case up until recently

What you saying U old cunts?

pooley1810 likes this.
  2. GhostOf2Can

I’ve just nearly blew my back out pulling 255 which is the reason for the thread

That’s usually not a lot for me

pooley1810 likes this.
  3. mal

mal Top Contributor

You can gain alot at any age tbh and improve, just depends on the level you want to get too, your still relatively young in bb terms...if i was put on the spot ide say 45 plus is when it can get harder due to physiological reasons, there plenty of jacked bbs between the age of 45 to 55....alot of top pro bbs still compete at the highest level up to 50 in some cases and loads in and around 40.

TONY FERGUSON likes this.
  4. Mersey Muscle

Mersey Muscle Full Member

Mid thirties mate. About your age. Nobody can hit it hard forever. Sooner or later you have to roll over and die in a ditch or start marching slowly and painfully towards the bodybuilding graveyard in the sky haha

GhostOf2Can likes this.
  5. Stokesy

Stokesy Full Member

What is it you’re struggling with though? The desire to keep lifting heavier weights? Or you can’t push enough to start adding in extra plates to get back to where you was at in 2020?

I trained from 14- 24 (steroids at 21-24) Then started a family and completely stopped training for 7 years as we had 4 of the little feckers) Started weight training April 2021 at 31 (now 32) and my desire to train has been massive, love being in the gym and seeing myself grow and get stronger.

I seen your picture a week or two ago that you put up on here and your a really big guy to be fair (great shape too)! I guess you need to set a goal and you just have to get in the mind set to hit that goal

GhostOf2Can likes this.
  6. s man

s man Full Member

No major issues till I hit 40. I actually had my best years between 36-40.

Then 6 months after my 40th I detached my bicep having never had any issues. I was getting ready for a GPC master event with 285 on the bar which wasn’t a max and it just felt wrong. Recovered from that and dieted down the following summer but nothing clicked right. Tren and prop made me feel sick and fat wasn’t moving the same.

I’ve never got my strength all back since although the last few years haven’t helped. Knees are shot now. I was squatting 270 when I detached and haven’t been over 180 for reps since. Bench was always shit but I was hitting 170 doubles. Now anything over 2.5 plates kills my arm and shoulders.

Greedy Ben and GhostOf2Can like this.
  7. pooley1810

pooley1810 Moderator

Im 41
    been bodybuilding for about 8 years but always maintained a decent level of fitness
    Prior to this my training involved more cardio
    But I've always trained 'smart' and trained for hypertrophy so never pushed the boundaries with heavy weights so my back n joints have always been pretty healthy
    My knees have started to ache more recently but I've adapted my training to avoid any extra stress
    The main thing I've noticed since turning 40 is recovery seems to take longer, I've lowered the volume of my sessions now which has really helped
    I've also increased my cardio which has improved fitness and body composition
    I think I look as good now as I've ever done tbh

TONY FERGUSON and GhostOf2Can like this.
  8. Mersey Muscle

The mind is always willing but the flesh gets weak. It's always the body that gives up first.

GhostOf2Can likes this.
  9. Richard Dick

Richard Dick Top Contributor

Probably only just recently also. I'm 37 next month. I can't think of any concrete examples though, just a general feeling.

GhostOf2Can likes this.
  10. GhostOf2Can

I just feel like I’m not recovering like I used to

With the weighted dips for sets of 20 etc I’m flying and I’m still holding muscle well but the big heavy CNS type stuff like squats and Deads with decent weight I’m just not recovering week to week like I used to, hence the strength is not coming back line it used to after a bit of a break

I’ll get the strength back and I’m gonna end up bigger than ever with this cycle I’ve just started but I’ve realised today I’m gonna have to adjust training due to my age

Deffo can’t be a pig headed idiot and just hammer it incessantly which has always been my MO in the past

11. Mersey Muscle

Rethink your strategy mate. If you keep pushing heavier and heavier at your age over the next few years you're just heading towards serious injuries and a long lay off. Better to be training than stuck at home like a cripple unable to stand up straight or lift a bag of spuds. Adjusting to age is a humbling experience.

GhostOf2Can likes this.
  12. s man

s man Full Member

Is what you’re running from a new order or previous stash?

Now I’m a forced natty recovery week to week and between sets is the biggest thing I notice. I know there’s been a few gear quality issues coming up on here lately so was a thought. That said you hold well even on TRT normally don’t you.

13. Mr mac

Mr mac TM Health & Safety officer Top Contributor

Late 30s probably. When my lower back started having issues that was my downward slope. Pushing strength stayed with me quite a while. I could still press 3 plates off the pins until early 40s. My muscle mass has gone down significantly. Probably a stone

14. pooley1810

pooley1810 Moderator

Exactly,
    Absolutely no reason to not make progress, just gotta do things a little different to what you're used to and it may take a little longer
    Its good you've realised that
    Its one of the things that makes this enjoyment imo, you've gotta keep learning, adjusting and adapting but if you do, can do this for as long as you want

GhostOf2Can likes this.
  15. GhostOf2Can

Chiron test mate so that’s good to go for sure

Inone tren-e but only done 3 jabs of that so can’t say how good it is yet, but there has been some negativity about it

Tbh pal I’m on 750mg Chiron test every 8 days, even if the other stuff is bunk I would have normally been fine on this

And I’m gaining weight and size quick tbh mate (upper body wise)

s man likes this.