How Old Were You When You Noticed A Difference In How You Responded To The Gym?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GhostOf2Can, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Mersey Muscle

Mersey Muscle Full Member

That's impressive if it's true mate. I do BW dips for 20 and dips with a 25kg plate for 10-15. If you met me in the real world you'd probably say....

puny-human-do-you-even-smash.jpg

2. GhostOf2Can

GhostOf2Can Top Contributor

Of course it’s true

Progressive overload is how you get big la

3. Mersey Muscle

I've been upto 17st and lifted a lot heavier than I do now but don't forget the title of this thread you posted mate haha

4. GhostOf2Can

Turns out I’m gaining strength pretty easy on everything other than lower back dominant things so if I allow that more recovery I’m still good to go aren’t I

Get those dips up to 80kg added for 20 reps I’m gonna be pretty fucking yoked out arent I la

Delicious

pooley1810, Mersey Muscle and Sjundea like this.
  5. Mersey Muscle

If you're going to wind it down and think of the future a bit more then taking it easy on the lower back/spine is the first place to start. Knees are 2nd. Once you step into the world of herniated spinal discs and cruciate ligament damage you may as well start going down the pub and drinking barrels of guiness and telling the young-uns stories about how you used to be a big strong weightlifter haha.

If everything's going up quick and easy now you should be ok for a few more years at least but don't get lulled into a false sense of security mate just because you're back on the gear now and making good gains again. You will hit the wall again soon enough and then you'll have to make the hard choices at your age. I hope it all works out the way you want it to but reality might have other plans for you mate haha. You're not the first and you won't be the last. Sorry to be the harbinger of doom and gloom. You could be a genetic invincible freak though for all I know.

Victor Meldrew signing off and going to bed early with his glass of warm milk and a few chocolate biscuits haha

6. GolfDelta

GolfDelta Competitor

He’s only 37 not 67 lol I think he has a few years yet before he’s a crippled ‘has been’!

Mersey Muscle likes this.
  7. Mersey Muscle

I'm only 44 myself mate but I'm battered now. Been training since I was a teenager and I've pushed the envelope plenty. When `age` kicks in it happens fast mate. Live and learn. The grim reaper is coming for us all haha.

8. TONY FERGUSON

TONY FERGUSON Winging my way to heaven as we speak, son. Full Member

I remember him. Showed lots of potential but turned pro a bit too late I think.

But he did have ridiculous genetics so I don't think many people could replicate his results. In terms of lower weights and results I'd look to many of the Bronze Era bodybuilders. That's more attainable.

9. Mersey Muscle

Dayo hit the IFBB pro ranks for a while but then just vanished. It was all a bit weird what happened to him tbh. He had huge potential. He's a big fat fella now but he's got good knowledge.

TONY FERGUSON likes this.
  10. GhostOf2Can

Your far too negative pal

Very defeatist attitude u have. I’m more of a find a way to continue to progress type of guy

Richie_Rich, Sjundea and GolfDelta like this.
  11. Mersey Muscle

Not negative mate. Just a realist. I'd need a training partner or spotter to keep pushing forward the way you are. Couldn't train like that in my garage on my own. I respect your level of motivation at the moment though.

12. Sjundea

Sjundea Top Contributor

I actually find training in the garage has huge benefits. No waiting, no distractions, get in get out. All of which make me far more motivated to train. I suspect @GhostOf2Can probably feels the same.

GhostOf2Can likes this.
  13. Rob O’tren

Rob O’tren Full Member

When I hit 40. I find it a lot harder to lean out.

14. Mersey Muscle

I had a decent home set up myself a few years back and I agree with you tbh but there's Pros and Cons to training solo if your aim is progressive overload. At some point you need a training partner or spotter for a lot of the lifts.

15. Sjundea

Sjundea Top Contributor

I don’t think you do or I haven’t found I do.
    Safety’s for bench.
    Safety straps for squats
    Deadlifts you just don’t lift.
    I think you can push very hard alone.
    But each to their own.