How Old Were You When You Noticed A Difference In How You Responded To The Gym?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GhostOf2Can, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Mersey Muscle

Mersey Muscle Full Member

You can probably give 80% max effort solo but partners are great for when you're lifting near your max, fail on the set, and need help with forced reps on heavier sessions. Grinding out those extra 2-3 reps per set with some help yields big results in gains. Especially helpful for chest, shoulders, arms.
    Legs and back are not a problem done solo.

2. Sjundea

Sjundea Top Contributor

So you’re saying you can’t train to failure solo?
    If that’s the case mate I am sorry to say that is on you. Just put it on the safetys or dump the weights.
    I personally don’t want to do forced reps as that isn’t me lifting the true weight on the bar or machine.
    If I can’t lift the weight anymore on either the 5th or the 20th rep that is failure in my eyes. I could even suggest that mechanical failure has possibly arisen prior to that due to perhaps form adjusting and the use of body english.

3. Mersey Muscle

Do what works best for you mate. Lots of different training styles and opinions. I train solo at my gym these days and train to 100% failure but I only use moderate weights these days and don't aim for progressive (heavier) overload like I did a few years ago.

Progresssive overload training was the original point that led me to mention partners and spotters. If I'm using moderate weights, I don't need a partner.

4. Sjundea

Sjundea Top Contributor

You don’t need spotters for progressive overload, but I can see you’re mind is set and that’s fine.

I find you a bit patronising in your posts tbh. I know exactly what the thread was about as I am capable of reading and comprehending.

5. Mersey Muscle

Keep personal opinions about people's personalities out of the chats mate. You can't possibly assess that just from words typed in a message. I've formed an opinion about you too already based on most of your posts I've read here since I joined but I don't feel the need to give you an analysis about what I think about your personality based on what you type on here.
    These are just discussions mate. Opinions differ. Doesn't need to get `personal` does it.

Can we move on? The training discussion is over.

6. Sjundea

Sjundea Top Contributor

Tbh I cba with you.
    So yeah we can move on. I doubt you’ll be around long anyway.

7. Mersey Muscle

That’s ok mate. See you around the forums. I’m sure there will be other subjects we can connect with and common opinions we both might share but progressive overload and training partners doesn’t seem to be something we agree on. No big deal. That’s life.

You seem like a decent fella tbf but you’ve got a few flaws just like everyone else haha