How To Stop Jerking On The Deadlift.

Discussion in 'Powerlifting & Strongman' started by Keys, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Keys

Keys

I'm not a bad deadlifter, currently around 230k although I have done 275k in the past (long lay off!)

I got into the habit a while ago of dipping the legs before initiating the pull, I find it helps break the ground which is where I'm weak.

However, I have become a bit jerky, I'm not taking the slack out of the bar and it's all a bit inconsistent and ugly looking.

Does anyone have any tips to rectify this?

I basically think I need to stop the leg dipping, but it always feels much heavier and slower this way. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

2. doink

doink Top Contributor

Take the slack out of the bar, apply force gradually, control the negative.

Throw a video up mate, the lads will help you out but it's far easier if they can see where you're going wrong.

And if you're weak off the floor add in defecit pulls as an accessory lift. Helps balance that problem out no end.

eurgar, Karbonk and Leviathan like this.
  3. Keys

Keys

Nice one thanks @doink

Haven't got any recent vids but will take one when I deadlift next week.

Funny you shouldn't mention deficits, planning on adding them in next week after squats

doink likes this.
  4. doink

doink Top Contributor

Defecits will be a game changer for power off the floor mate, dig the mod on here put me on to them as I had the same issue.

Never had an issue off the floor since.

Karbonk likes this.
  5. Karbonk

Karbonk Full Member

Grip and rip will always produce that, jerky motion, what I would do is back off to 150, and take up all the correct position and slack, then lift, ... then add 10 kg and repeat, see where the jerky movement is taking place. Do you wear lifting straps? What type of stance do you use? Presume you wear a belt too? Video evidence will diagnose this within minutes, if you can try to get a vid?
    I tend to lower my legs just before the bar slams into my shins then I drive up with legs and back.

Robbie, Ronin and doink like this.
  6. Keys

Keys

Thanks for the advice guys, taking it all on board!

7. RS86

RS86 Top Contributor

Good suggestion @doink re defecits.

Just take time to pull slack out the bar, fill the lungs and then go when you're properly set. It should be ready to break floor/bar flexing at the point legs drive down so taking it easy during set up and not rushing yourself shld see you right.

I drop hips a cpl of times just to get hammys firing and then once I'm set and got my air in I go.

If you watch a video of Eric Lilliebridge deadlifting you will see a good example of getting the slack out first and then setting, also does same as me re firing hammys and then dropping hips and pulling

rick89 and Ronin like this.
  8. rick89

rick89 Full Member

stop jerking the bar

slowly take the slack out then pull as doink says